The Corroboree
incognito

What are your ethnic origins?

Inspired by a recommendation in the black guy thread...

To the best of my knowledge-

My grandmother on my mothers side was the daughter of English migrants to Australia, as was my grandfather on my mothers side. So 1/2 English. My fathers mother was Irish, from Irish immigrants. My grandfather on my fathers side camefrom cornwall In England, who migrated there with his family from Spain during the war.

So 1/2 English, 1/4 Irish and 1/4 Spanish.

All Australian migrant familys.

Edit- all have been farmers as well, as far back to England, Spain and Ireland, majority grains, sheep and pigs.

I think I would be able to learn to read Latin without to much of a hard time. I've always had a good crack, a lot of words in English appear to be derived from it, u can have a pretty good guess at what most words mean.

Edited by incognito

i am a descendant of the uzumaki clan

• Like 1

Pikey/ germanic stock do you like dags?

• Like 1

A gipsy amongst us ?????????, Better hide my wallet and have a priest bless my house :P

I'm white, Flemish and I think my ancestors are all Flemish.

• Like 1

Polish born, Australian bred. One arm of my family was probably Jewish from Lwow (now in the Ukraine), while another is thought to go back to Tartar stock (that's my rugged Muslim cowboy side :wink: ).

• Like 2

My great uncle was Tomahawk Josef Baker otherwise known as the Champion Kazan axe and knife thrower of the side show alley's of the 1930's lol. Wild looking dude, but the rest of the family,once they came to OZ were rather dull hard working family types.

my fathers grandfather was a swedish immigrant, in swerden he worked as a brewer, once he got to aus he became a 'brick salesmen'. seems somewhat like a snake oil salesmen lol. his name was gustav pieterson, i wish my name was so cool. his other grandfather was of cornish stock. somewhere in their was the scottish name 'macreathe; but i'm not so sure where that came from.

my mothers mother is dutch, maiden name fundenbrook. my mothers father was white bred australian, although if you go back far enough he was of scottish heritage, marr clan, apparently the only clan to still have a member of parliament. robert hay marr, my 5 times great grandfather, first arrived in tasmania in the 1830's, then moved on to melbourne aboard the enter prize with jon pascoe faukner and co, apparently laying the first foundation stone of the city. fun fact.

• Like 1

father side is a mix with mainly european roots (some italian and some other European genes, I cant remember and some local indiginous Arawak) - my father's side of the family has been in the Carib at least 250 years.

mothers side is dutch/belgian (limburgish) My mother's her folks migrated a few years after ww2 to the Carib.

Have a very slight tan and blue eyed. Think most people will recognize me as a European and possibly think that I am from the Mediterranean.

• Like 1

British, Scottish and Irish. Scottish and Irish from my Mothers side and British from my fathers. The first of my Father's clan migrated from Britain to NZ in the 1800s and if memory serves right his name was George S.

Edit: Was just on the phone to my mother and brought this up with her and she kept reminding me that I'm the great great -moar greats perhaps?- grandson of Daniel Defoe.

Edited by ErraneousHerbalist

Polish (POW), English (convict) with a pinch of French.

Edited by eatfoo

English, Irish, Scottish, South African parents & grand parents. Raised in South Africa for the first half of my life & Australia for the second.

*Edit: Forgot Irish and Scottish...

Edited by at0m

Hello forum, i´m a mix from poland, dutch, jewish german grandparents and french protestans.

Edited by pan

English background, with a fair smattering of Scot and Irish and Cornish Gypsy along the way.

Mostly english with a bit of norwegian.

Born in new zealand.

Polish on my fathers side, Irish on my mothers...

Catholic on both sides if you go back a generation or three :blush:

Interesting thread...

My father's side is English as far back as we can trace, and my mother's side is Aussie up to British convicts sent to Tassie (on her mother's side), as far back as 7 generations.

Mum's father's side (my pop) is Aussie as far back as 3 generations away, but then we're stuck. We suspect, because he had a very dark skin complexion, that it's partly indigenous Australian (or less likely, Spanish) at some point, but we're still trying to figure it out...

English/Scot (convict stock) and indigenous.

Taswegian born and bred.... but a mongrel like most....

• Like 2

wow, such little deviation from the european lines!

I'll keep an eye on this one, very interesting to see how it evolves

I'm born here, mother is Chilean and dad is Lebanese

Mum's father is Slovenian, but her mum is Chilean (somewhere up that line though there might be an italian thrown in)

One of dad's Great's or Great Great's might be Iraqi, I don't think we ever found out for sure

mix of irish pub owners, prussian potato farmers and british folk. sown in australia.

• Like 1

Dutch, german, english, scott with, bundjalung, chinese & afghan for good measure. Mongrel to the bone or is it good hybrid vigor??

• Like 2

More likely to get the variegates and crests that way, Shortly ;)

• Like 2

On my dad's side I have Huguenots [a french persecuted protestant group from the 16th century] and southern germans. The southern german side is somehow related to the Waldorf Astoria family [waldorf side] - which means nothing really.

My surname is from the Huguenot line.

My mum was born in east prussia which is now poland.

My dad's folks were from Ukraine and Yugoslavia, they met in a German prisoner camp and were put on a ship bound for Australia after the war ended. English and French on my mums side.

My kids will be a hell of a mix.

Edited by Halcyon Daze