The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
dionysus

phkar rom?

so, recently i was at a friends house and they put on the dirty sanchez (british equivilent of 'jackass') series 'sanchez get high', in which 2 of the members travel the world taking part in many cultural traditions like ayahuasca and a proper psilocybe ceremony etc then, in cambodia (after eating the still beating heart of a king cobra and ingesting some crocodile penis aphrodisiac) they travel to this small monestary where a cambodian gent shares with them some 'cactus' that he calls 'phkar rom'. no other information is given about the plant, i am under the impression there is no cactus native to cambodia, so i think this word was wrongly used in the show. the people who consumed it seemed to think it wasn't so active, but compaired to some of the other things they had ingested it may not ave felt like it was.

at any rate, any one have any idea what this plant may be? it has me confused.

here is the part of the episode with this cactus. horrible how rude they are, although they most certainly were not that rude to the ayahuascero (that episode is great, pretty good footage of an aya ceremony)

dio

i now think this to be a plant in the family asteraceae like the artichoke or cardoon, where the term 'cactus' comes from (throuigh greek>latin routes). it isn't un-reasonable to think one of these plants has mild sedative effect, as they are known to contain various flavones, flavonoids glycosides etc , understandably less interesting than some of the other things they embarked on.

Sanchez gets high was a pretty interesting little series. But by god are those dudes are a few sandwiches short of a picnic

those dudes are a few sandwiches short of a picnic

they're Welsh... :wink:

i spent alot ov time in Wales.

the school i went to had an outdoor center in Snowdonia & i went there 5 years running.

Up in the hills there's some weird shit, pentacles carved in rocks, alters w/goats skulls, cairns, abondoned slate quarries.

1 year we saw from the center in the distance going into the hills at night a procession ov maybe 20 people carrying flaming torches.

One time i went to St Davids Cathedral w/the school choir to sing in a show for local dignitaries w/the St. Davids choir.

In the changing rooms all the choir boys wanted to do was fight us.

In later years i had a girlfriend whose family lived in Brecon.

Going to the Duke of Wellington pub on a weekend you were playing w/fire.

The squaddies, the rugby boys & the Merthatidville valley boys would all come into town looking to fiight each other.

That pub got smashed up so often they never bothered to replace the broken chairs & stuff they just nailed it back together.

One time i got in a fight w/a local (it was a quite night) & used a bench to defend myself...it came apart in my hands, but it subdued the guy long enough for me to attempt a getaway. I hadn't got too far outside when i realised a group ov locals had come after me calling me back.

Thinking they wanted to carry on the scrap i stopped & turned & was all like

"come at me bro"

then they explained that they simply thought smashing pub furniture w/out appologising to the Landlord was bad form & i should come back & make amends.

So i go back, appologise to the landlord & offer to pay for the damage & he's like

"Meh, don't worry about it, there's usually much more damage than that, have another pint & we'll call it quits"

So i buy another drink, go over to the guy i'd assalted in self defence, appologise & he ends up snogging me!!!

Well it was Xmas eve.

Edited by nabraxas
  • Like 1