The Corroboree

Why look for a meaning of life, what point will it serve? It cannot change anything. Its like looking for a lost set of car keys in your kitchen drawer. You have looked the first time, pulled all the papers out and decided to search elsewhere. You still cannot find your car keys anywhere so in frustration you return to the kitchen drawer full well knowing they wont be there but driven by your simplistic urges to find logic where logic does not exist you serch that drawer again and again and slowly you become more and more frustrated, surely you say you have not cheched under the wood, so finally you tear the wood apart and only damage your drawer and damage yourself. you knowe there is nothing there.

To me, religion is like "knowing" the keys are in the drawer. Some people look inside and check, but they can't find the keys. However, when questioned, those that "believe" the keys are there refuse to listen, or get angry and come up with excuses - like Satan is blinding you from seeing the keys, or that you weren't looking hard enough, or that you don't know what the keys look like so you wouldn't know what you are looking for.

I've had a look, the keys aren't there, so I will spend my time looking for other things, things I have the small possibility of actually finding. Other people can hunt for the keys, if they find them they can show me and I will be happy to look and be in awe of the keys.

If we are sure there are keys, we must look elsewhere for them. We could look for other ways of driving the car, or we could even discard the car entirely and walk or take the tube instead!

Anyway, it would certainly help if someone could prove to me that the car exists before I even start looking for the keys!

Why look for a meaning of life, what point will it serve? It cannot change anything.

Yes the meaning of life may be pointless, but surely a purpose of life is more useful in that it provides a direction to proceed. For example:

Maybe the purpose of life is to experience all that the physical body has to offer, to revel in our existence as physical beings; feel the warmth of the sun on our skin, the touch of a loved one, all the positive and negative emotions that go with being social creatures. Perhaps by fulfilling the possibilities of our physical bodies, we release our spirit from dwelling in this world so that it can move on to some more angelic existence.

rudderless hippies.

• Like 2

i think owing to the fact that many people perceive many different reasons or purposes to life leads be to believe that there is none, in a buddhist sense that a chair is a chair is not a chair type thing. after all, what is life if not a bunch of shit that happens before you die?

• Like 1

in its simplest form i say

"Bare progeny, and then back to where we came from! Until then; live, love and learn." - 2Deep

Edited by 2Deep2Handle
  • Like 1

After watching the latest David Attenborough films - The purpose of life for most animals/insects (if not all) is to pollinate a specific species of plant, eat from it, poo on it, then die under it to fertilise it.

So it seems to me, why should we be any different? If we are simply pollinators, then what is our plant? What fungus does our plant need as well? Is it the grains, fruits, berries etc... that we farm? Are we 'multi-plant' species? Were we 'single plant' pollinators in the past? Is our tree of life still here?

Nice one ID, love a bit of David Attenborough. Haven't seen the life of plants but the 1984 series the 'living world' is really great too. His enthusiasm and insight into the workings of nature is infectious.

So maybe the purpose of single units of life is to exist in such a way that supports the general project of life collectively? But are we single units of life? Billions of micro-organisms live inside and on us. Life is a continuum of animated matter that cycles energy through itself and between its sub units. Seeing animals be consumed by others in these nature documentares (and in real life from time to time) really drives home the 'life as a continuum metaphor'. I often think, what is going through that caterpillars head as the swarm of ants slowly devour it? In the end we must all recede back into the energy reservoir that other life feeds upon.

Until then I think your right, we should seek to live symbiotic existences with our trees and fungi of life.

• Like 2

I wrote this mostly for myself (I believe these kind of questions are deeply personal and individual anyway), but I just thought I'd share it in case it helps or even interests anyone else :)

I tend to subscribe to a mix of atheism, existentialism and humanism. I don't believe life has an inherent meaning, but that doesn't really render it meaningless. You've just gotta do what makes you happy, give the world your gift...it's whatever you want - that's the beauty (and the terror) of it.

Even if we do just die and stop existing (no spirit, no soul, no heaven, no hell), as I believe we do, it doesn't make life any less amazing or worth living. If anything it makes me appreciate it even more, and makes me want to create something really beautiful while I'm still here, so that in a way, I'll live on in the smiles of the people I leave behind, in the beauty of the gardens I've planted, in the words of the songs I've written, the bricks of the house I've built, and the lives of the children I raised in it.

I know eventually we will all be forgotten, as single words in an infinite story, that nobody will ever hear. But if I have lived a happy life and shared happiness with others, if I have really connected and loved and truly experienced life, then I will not be afraid to die.

• Like 2

The meaning of life was once revealed to me by a certain caramel coloured fungus that grows in woodchips.

It said, in no uncertain terms: The Meaning of Life is: You've Got To Be Kidding

To which I said: You've got to be kidding.

To which it said: The Meaning of Life is: You've Got To Be Kidding

I've pondered it for some time and it still holds up. Go through life, do everything but keep kidding, keep playing, don't take it too seriously.

And when you get to the end of the tunnel you'll think 'aaahhh...it was all a cosmic joke, a sly wink from god to self and back and forth again.

• Like 7

So all you need to do is read Douglas Adams "Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy"

• Like 1

i remember reading it in highschool and finding it very funny. now that i think about it though i'd get a lot more out of it now that i'm a bit more *ahem* grown up. think i'm due for a reread.

There is no meaning of life, life is pointless and as far as i'm aware has no reason for existing and therefore shouldn't exist.

We are constantly creating and making the universe more complex, the universe is expanding, allowing us to perceive more which makes us think which helps us create(both physically and mentally).

The times i've tried to return to the source i've noticed any thought creations i'm having is actually increasing the amount of creations exponentially, so the rate of creation is on an exponential level. As we try and think and create about the universe we are actually making it bigger and making more of it, thus validating it's own existence. Searching for meaning further cements our position as being real. A very frustrating logic loop when you're trying to shut down the universe at a fundamental level but any thought at all is keeping the universe running, not only keeping it running but by enabling the thought you are creating a loop that will go on forever and get stronger and stronger.

I believe the universe started by accident from a thought like this, a thought of a being before it was created and only after it was created did it repeat to form a pattern, which it then could form patterns from patterns, which formed patterns from patterns of patterns, etc until we're at the peak level of complexity we are now, we're achieved self awareness in our thought pattern and are trying fucking hard to convince ourselves we are actually real, clinging to any distraction that frees ourselves from the knowledge that we don't exist. If you're perceiving anything at all you're completely distracted from the truth, only when you can stop all stimulus and achieve a state of timelessness can you see... but see what? we can't stop this now... it's way out of control.

I don't believe there is any inherent meaning of life but at the state we're in now, we give ourselves meaning to exist, otherwise we wouldn't be here. Expanding the universe through our thoughts, making the universe more complex which makes it harder and harder to undo.

Stop time, meet time. Time will try it's hardest to push you forward though and make you experience... fight time!

Hope at least 10% of this makes some sort of sense... it's kind of hard to put into words really.

Edited by Distracted
  • Like 5

The experience of life though similar is different for each and everyone of us and therefore the meaning of life will too be different.

I understand the meaning of my life.

The human story is the story of discovering creative potential.

Modern humans are differentiated from more primitive humans by the use of tools.

From the most basic tools to advances in technology yet to be realised, intelligent creative endeavour is the evolutionary directive of human kind.

Undoubtedly a new form of humanoid being will eventually itself be created.

This is the generic meaning of life.

Absurdity. No meaning. Meaning we make. Fun. Suffering. Waking up. Dreaming. Cosmic coming of age.

Don't give me that 'if there's no meaning to life why not kill yourself' shit. If there is no meaning then killing yourself is just as meaningless as continuing to live.

Asking this question is like the character in a video game asking 'what is the meaning of all of this?' You are an entertaining fiction for teenage gods. You are clothing that spirits dress up in to impress their friends. You are a special mix of chemicals created by a bored alien looking for the perfect high. People pets, avatars, 3D cross sections of 4D reality.

Just seek truth and enjoy the ride.

Edited by chilli
  • Like 2

There is no meaning of life, life is pointless and as far as i'm aware has no reason for existing and therefore shouldn't exist.

We are constantly creating and making the universe more complex, the universe is expanding, allowing us to perceive more which makes us think which helps us create(both physically and mentally).

The times i've tried to return to the source i've noticed any thought creations i'm having is actually increasing the amount of creations exponentially, so the rate of creation is on an exponential level. As we try and think and create about the universe we are actually making it bigger and making more of it, thus validating it's own existence. Searching for meaning further cements our position as being real. A very frustrating logic loop when you're trying to shut down the universe at a fundamental level but any thought at all is keeping the universe running, not only keeping it running but by enabling the thought you are creating a loop that will go on forever and get stronger and stronger.

I believe the universe started by accident from a thought like this, a thought of a being before it was created and only after it was created did it repeat to form a pattern, which it then could form patterns from patterns, which formed patterns from patterns of patterns, etc until we're at the peak level of complexity we are now, we're achieved self awareness in our thought pattern and are trying fucking hard to convince ourselves we are actually real, clinging to any distraction that frees ourselves from the knowledge that we don't exist. If you're perceiving anything at all you're completely distracted from the truth, only when you can stop all stimulus and achieve a state of timelessness can you see... but see what? we can't stop this now... it's way out of control.

I don't believe there is any inherent meaning of life but at the state we're in now, we give ourselves meaning to exist, otherwise we wouldn't be here. Expanding the universe through our thoughts, making the universe more complex which makes it harder and harder to undo.

Stop time, meet time. Time will try it's hardest to push you forward though and make you experience... fight time!

Hope at least 10% of this makes some sort of sense... it's kind of hard to put into words really.

Very interesting, but I do not completely follow . You argue firstly that life has no purpose, and therefore shouldn't exist. Then you make the observation that life is 'constantly creating and making the universe more complex'. So not only does life exist, but it is the bleeding edge of novelty in the universe. Why would a system such as universe put so much time and energy into a phenomenon such as life if the system as a whole or another phenomenon will not benefit? Then you state that by seeking meaning life creates a false notion of existence. I think I get what you mean, like our body may exist, but the placement of consciousness in said body creates the illusion that the body is consciousness? But even if the association of human consciousness with the body is illusory, this does not prevent biological life in general from having a purpose.

Absurdity. No meaning. Meaning we make. Fun. Suffering. Waking up. Dreaming. Cosmic coming of age.

Don't give me that 'if there's no meaning to life why not kill yourself' shit. If there is no meaning then killing yourself is just as meaningless as continuing to live.

Asking this question is like the character in a video game asking 'what is the meaning of all of this?' You are an entertaining fiction for teenage gods. You are clothing that spirits dress up in to impress their friends. You are a special mix of chemicals created by a bored alien looking for the perfect high. People pets, avatars, 3D cross sections of 4D reality.

Just seek truth and enjoy the ride.

But as you state the computer game character does have a purpose. It exists to entertain us. What then is our purpose?

What if we disregard our own personal existential dilemma for a moment, and ask what is the purpose of life generally? Why did animate, metabolising lifeforms emerge from the static, inanimate universe?

But as you state the computer game character does have a purpose. It exists to entertain us. What then is our purpose?

What if we disregard our own personal existential dilemma for a moment, and ask what is the purpose of life generally? Why did animate, metabolising lifeforms emerge from the static, inanimate universe?

I lightheartedly outlined a number of possible purposes. You seem to want some kind of definite answer, but there isn't one. How do you propose we disregard our own existence and separate it from the purpose of life generally?

Asking 'what is the purpose of life' assumes that there is one, but maybe it really is all absurd and meaningless. Or maybe it's a cosmic joke, or a dream, or a play, or a game. Maybe there's angels cheering you on, maybe God hates you.. maybe no one cares. Maybe you matter, or maybe you're just matter. It's all maybe, baby.

I don't know what the ultimate purpose of life is because I don't even know if there is one, and I'm pretty certain no one else does either.

Why are you asking?

• Like 1

life is the most incredible thing in the universe, and I guess what I want to know is simply: why? As in, why does life exist? I had the idea that by asking what the purpose of life is, it might be possible to work out how it came into existence in the first place. If one can't understand something, a good strategy seems to be to ask 'what does it do?'. So I guess I was looking for peoples perspective on what life does, or from a more philosophical perspective, what is the purpose of life. when we analyse natural ecosystems we see that each species has a purpose in the context of the ecosystem as a whole, e.g. the mushroom provides the tree with minerals, the trees roots provide the mushroom with carbohydrates, so one could say a purpose of mushrooms is to provide the tree with minerals. so what if we define the ecosystem as the universe, and then ask what does this gene swarm called life do? it seems to do two things: (a) reproduce, and (B) become more complex in time. what is life going to become or do through this process? this seems key to its purpose.

kill, breed, die, repeat

god i hope theres more than this

• Like 1

^^

you forgot to rinse

• Like 1

I'm no evolutionary biologist, but would it not be right to say simply because the conditions for life to be created were right at that moment in space and time? With that being said, I don't mean that's a simple feat to achieve, but it's simply that, no purpose behind it.

The question 'why do we exist' - 'Why' doesn't have to imply purpose... Rather than that, the answer should be just because this happened,or that happened

Edited by Wameron36

kill, breed, die, repeat

god i hope theres more than this

Jesus, you forgot work, consume. Please return to base for reprogramming.

• Like 4

It seems highly improbable that everything in our living universe is a result of pure chance.

When looking at the actual size of the universe, i personally do not believe it becomes improbable at all considering there are roughly 300 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 (this number varies depending who you talk to) stars in the universe. The likely hood of the formation of life becomes into the realms of being probable in my opinion - in fact i see the existence of life here on earth shows just how probable it really is.

The universe is so big its impossible for our human minds to get a grasp on just how massive it is, myself included.

Back to the original topic however - the purpose of life - i believe the purpose of life purely revolves around survival of genes. We humans are just a vessel for the survival of our genes. What is the purpose of this reaction though ? There is not one, it has just happened on its own accord - looking for an answer i believe is futile as there is zero evidence to point to there being a purpose or reason.

As for "what is the 'meaning' of life?" - that question makes absolutely no sense and thus is an un-answerable question. There is no meaning, there is only 'why life exists'.

When looking from life from a purely survival and evolutionary perspective, everything in life makes a lot of sense (to me) and there is no need to have a god for there to be existence of life.

Personally i am atheist and my view on the universe purely around tangible hard evidence. Thats not to say that there is no room for imagination, in fact its imagination that has led to scientific breakthroughs of our understanding of the universe - but i do not believe these imaginations of the universe to be real until there is evidence to back up the fact.

• Like 2

I believe ive found the answer,

its chocolate

• Like 1