The Corroboree
Trayto

Subaeruginosa profile

I was thinking about finding other areasfinds watch for subs rather than the common mulched garden. I know they do well there, but before mulchers they must have grown elsewhere. I was just wondering what kind of habitat people have collected subs before ie grassed area under casurina forest etc. that way us dovoted hunters won't have to compete with the masses who all know 'mushies grow in mulch gradens' I can't claim this next idea as my own, a thoughtful friend of mine put me onto it, but such a profile could be used with remote sensing and reflectivity to find undiscovered sub patches!! Let the profiling begin!! If you could detail the habitat you found your little friends and maybe a bit on the climate that would be sweeet.

They grow on wood and prefer distrubed habitats, why pine mulch garden beds are popular. But anywhere where there is decaying wood has potential.

By doing this though and highlighting other habitats etc. doesn't this open up the doors for the "masses"? I am not against the idea, just thought I would put that out there.

The masses arent all on SA though. It takes a bit of determination to actually go and search for these said habitiats rather than pillage the local mulch beds. Thats why it would be good to know where people are finding them. Asking on here is a good way to survey some experienced hunters, and I'm sure even the more experienced hunters would discover new habitiats

I am often surprised at where i see P.sub' growing. Yes they are wood lovers, but the wood they are growing on does not have to be visible. Like in the forest for example, some spots you find them growing in a grassy area, but somewhere in that substrate, there is woody debris. They grow in all different conditions, it just needs to have the key ingredient... debris from a tree/grass tussock (IME). I don't know if i have mentioned this here before or not, but just because you don't find any fungi in a particular spot, doesn't necessarily mean they don't grow there, maybe you are too early or late in the season, or someone else has been there already.

Half the fun is finding them, like a some fungi sleuth.

:)

• Like 1

When i say grass tussock ^ , i don't mean like couch or lawn grass , i mean like the grasses that grow in tussocks.. :scratchhead: , You know?

I would like to add that i have found subs growing on the edge of a dam amongst the layers of dead reed stems .

:)

• Like 1

Yes they grow exceptionally well in mulch gardens for the reasons provided here, the key thing being decaying wood. They are a wood loving species, and they tend to prefer disturbed habitats such as to the sides of an animal trail or human walking track etc.. According to Stamets, when you walk over a section of mycelium the fibres will literally reach out and 'grab' any debris you might have stirred, hence the preference for disturbed locations. If you apply these basic rules outside of the local parks and their wood chip mulch garden beds, and seeking out locations that will retain enough moisture for extended periods, you tend to find yourself in the forest.

Half the fun is finding them, like a some fungi sleuth. :)

Couldn't agree more. You don't want anyone to 'give' you a patch or a location becuase it's so much more satisfying to find your own.

happy hunting!

I've looked and looked and didn't really find anything a few years back -- I haven't looked since though.. well not much. (I was looking South of Newcastle, obviously).

Don't really have any advice except to say don't give up and it's great fun going out in the crappy weather and taking photos of fungi you come across, even if you don't

find the particular species you're after. I actually stumbled upon some spore prints a few days ago from 6 or 7 years ago I had kept and stored away.

Edited by SYNeR

I once found a patch in the middle of a paddock, around an old bore opening that was overgrown with horehound and was starting to rot/decompose. God knows how they got there as it was a cropping field and turned over annually. Ever since then I've found them in "rougher/grazing land" terrain around grasses described above with sticks and bark on the ground. I never have luck in the obvious woodchip beds

What about the natural growing temps, humidity, and rain etc? Which combo is most favourable in the natural habitat of Subs?

Personally I think the most important facture in finding nice patches of fresh subs is the temperature (below 15 degrees is ideal). Too much rain just makes it more likely they will be rotting, IMO.

In my experience they seem to be fairly abundant and easy to find along rivers and lakes where moss is growing in dry eucalyptus forests. You can also sometimes get lucky and find a patch along tracks and dirt roads in temperate rain forests, but they seem to be far less common. Or maybe it’s just because rain forests have much more vegetation than in a dry eucalyptus forest environment, making them harder to spot.

• Like 2

Yeh cool, thanks for the info guys. I do have quite a few photos of hunts that I've been on lately. I'll post them up as soon as I figure out how to make them smaller without losing the quality. I might go for a little walk near a stream that's in the middle of a eucy forest right now ;)

for any Melbournians, i would be hunting today or this weekend. Conditions have been great this week, bitingly low temps and a good amount of rainfall earlier in the week.