The Corroboree
Vine Voice

Cactus advice

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I look forward to being part of these forums, but for now I have an issue with my cactus that I would really appreciate any help with. After reading these forums, I can see that you guys have a wealth of knowledge about cultivation. This issue might have been posted on before, but I haven't seen it so apologies if it's already been discussed. I have a cactus here that grew too big, so I cut it down (which I read on a forum that you could do, and it would grow back). I cut the top off and planted it in a pot and here is the photo of the cactus that I cut down:

2012 06 03 09.24.35

As you can see, it's gone all red and crusty where it was cut. I'm worried it's dead or going to die, but I wonder if anyone here can give me some tips on what I can do from here, even if I've fucked it up this time, what I should do in the future? I'm a bit of a novice with cultivation, but I'd love it if someone out there could help me. Thanks!

Hi Vine Voice and welcolme to the corroboree :)

The cut can often go a bit orange yours looks a bit moreso that most but if the cut surface is hard then you should be fine if you want you could dust the cut with sulphur just to be safe.

The new growth (pups) will grow from the side out of the top areols not from the cut suface and this might not happen until spring.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Got

Looks like it might be starting to rot. Did you expose the cut end to moist conditions? Or worse, rain? You need to let cuts heal before exposing them to certain conditions. An application of sulphur can be beneficial as it makes the cut heal quicker and can assist in keeping bacteria etc. out the wound.

Personally I would probably re-cut a bit below the wound and dust with sulphur, then let it dry completely before exposing it tot he elements.

Is that a geo tag on your pic? If so, you want to watch that hmmm.

Anyway, welcome to the community.

just looks like a bit of orange rot... not to much to worry about unless its stays wet and it starts spreading into the cactus maybe re-cut it if you think it is spreading into the cactus or you could just dust it with some sulphur powder and see what happens lol

Just make sure to keep it out of the rain untill it callouses over and if its nice and sunny put it there as the sun can help kill the rot

alos welcome to this wealth of knowledge known as SAB

Edited by jwerta

Is that a geo tag on your pic? If so, you want to watch that hmmm.

I dont think its a geo tag, typically that info is included in the EXIF data. The EXIF data for that pic is:

ImageDescription : SAMSUNG

Make : SAMSUNG

Model : GT-I9000

ExposureTime : 0.035398

FNumber : 2.638672

ExposureProgram : 2

ISOSpeedRatings : 80

Shutter Speed : 1/28 sec

F-stop : F2.6

BrightnessValue : 2.830000

ExposureBiasValue : 0.000000

MaxApertureValue : 2.810000

MeteringMode : 2

LightSource : 0

Flash : 16

FocalLength : 3.790000

MakerNote : 5 25 5 26 87 66 76 73 66 76 79 71 112

I believe the MakerNote is the devices serial number in hexadecimal format.

It's always o good idea to edit out the EXIF data from any pic before posting it to the internet.

Thanks zelly. I knew it was something like that. Not something you want to be making public on the internet I wouldn't have thought.

Thanks so much guys! As I hoped, you pointed me in the right direction straight away. It has been exposed to rain, so I'll move it into a covered area, re-cut it, and dust it with sulphur. I can't wait for some little pups to grow! As for my picture, I hope there's not a geotag. I just got the picture from my phone, but I should have checked. Thanks for the tip zelif, I'll take out EXIF data from now on. Should I delete the photo?

it might not pup now seeing as its winter and the plant will be going into hibernation but it might pup a little bit, one of mine has pupped... its more likley that it will pup when the weather warms up a bit more