The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
jjsanaam

WTB Mandrake plant

Hi all,

As title says I am looking for a mandrake plant.Living that is.

Someone here once posted a link to a herbalist website with some pretty rare plants and herbs...ie living monkshood plant, mandrake, kava etc etc. An Australian company it was, and of course I lost the link and cannot find it on this forum.

So if anyone knows the company I am speaking of or has a mandrake plant they are willing to sell, please contact me.

Thanks

....if you manage to find a good source , let me know. Been after one for years.....

http://www.allrareherbs.com.au

this what you were after? SAB store does (did) have those items from time to time too though i think

edit: both those items are in stock currently at all rare herbs, so you are in luck

Edited by dionysus
  • Like 1

Thank you Dionysus....

That's the one!

Ps. Out of stock actually...so if anyone has any...please ...

I discovered meanwhile that kt botanicals in the US has mandrake seeds, so will order and grow some as back up ...stay tuned!

• Like 1

Be sure to tie a dog to it and make the dog uproot it! Lest you fall prey to the scream of the mandrake...

Edited by ErraneousHerbalist
  • Like 2

Sacred Succulents has seeds and plants of another Mandragora species.

I got no sprouts from my seeds but I assume that is down to my technique and growing conditions. Have put the container outside in the elements, maybe that will kick start them.

To the O.P, if you find someone stocking them let me know! :)

If germination is good this winter, I may have a few European mandrakes up for sale in the spring.

They are bastards of things to germinate....

• Like 1

I got some seeds from all rare herbs and while germination rates were quite good, 80%ish, they don't seem to like being transplanted

so plant them into deep pots only one or two seeds per pot. Then you can transplant either to a deeper pot or plant out.

They have a very deep tap root that doesn't seem to like to be disturbed, at lest when young.

I always use a top quality potting mix as well and water with a weak seaweed solution or worm juice once or twice a week.

Good luck in your search, I think the fresher the better, as with many species.

My hand is up 2

Will have some Mandragora automnalis live plants for sale next spring. And hope fully some seed, by the end of May....

i had a couple of these bad boys , but died from the heat ! have 1 left lookin not well! they r a cold climate plant like all hexing herbs[deadly nightshades]

• Like 1

no this is not generally true.

M.automnalis is a species present in pretty warm climates, like many regions of southern greece.

You're probably talking about M. officinarium/officinalis

no this is not generally true.

M.automnalis is a species present in pretty warm climates, like many regions of southern greece.

You're probably talking about M. officinarium/officinalis

yeah greece is warm in summer but the very cold and wet in winter yeah?? snows in most northern areaz??

mandrake love very cold winters and dry summers! the very opposite where i live :innocent_n:

no the winters in southern greece where M.automnalis exists is pretty mild [zone 8 to 9, maybe 10 even]. Its a winter and you get the lowest temps and lots of rain so yeah it wet, yeah, but if the lowest temps is 2 or min -2 C, then its a mild winter, no?

no the winters in southern greece where M.automnalis exists is pretty mild [zone 8 to 9, maybe 10 even]. Its a winter and you get the lowest temps and lots of rain so yeah it wet, yeah, but if the lowest temps is 2 or min -2 C, then its a mild winter, no?

thats cold lol! just saying madrake hates humid wet summers and mild dry? winterz <> we dont get cold winters here mayb a couple of random day or week around 8 degz but most tha time the temp is MILD i live in tha tropics dude! anywho was just saying this plant hatez wherez i live and i dont have any 4 trade or sale?!?!?! lol Edited by bullit

OK I get you, sorry for misunderstanding. I suppose growing some plants in the tropics would be a no-no.

And yeah re: M.automnalis it remains completely dry during the whole summer in habitat, so you are right I guess... maybe officinarium would be a better bet for you

cool cool; wish i could grow this awesum plant successfully :blink: dont have the time to set up a growing room just for this 1 plant :unsure: