The Corroboree
Nemisty

Cant get an avatar to work.

I keep getting the message: 'Failed to set a new photo' when I try to upload a pic or link an image from the web for my avatar pic. I've tried several different sized images to see if that was the cause but to no avail. Can anyone help?

Maybe save the picture to your computer first and access it from there instead of trying to upload directly from the web, might help?!.

:)

I can't get animated gifs to work, it's poo :(

Maybe save the picture to your computer first and access it from there instead of trying to upload directly from the web, might help?!.

First thing I tried.

So the last image I tried was a JPEG at 266 KB with dimensions of 800 x 800

Well i remember that Avatars werent allowed to be bigger than 150 x 150 and something like 50 kb or so but this seems to have changed since the new software update. But if i were you, i´d try a pic with these meisurements. Maybe it will work then.

Nemesis:

Go to http://imgur.com and upload it then.

Then, head into the page to change your avatar; There should be a box that says "Enter URL here" with an "Import" button just to the right of that.

Paste the direct link (it should look like http://i.imgur.com/<random letters and numbers>.jpg) into the box and hit "Import".

I just tried to change my av from a file on my PC and I'm getting the same message.

The uploader now recommends a pic larger than 200px and there is no obvious message about compatible file types etc.

Nemesis:

Go to http://imgur.com and upload it then.

Then, head into the page to change your avatar; There should be a box that says "Enter URL here" with an "Import" button just to the right of that.

Paste the direct link (it should look like http://i.imgur.com/ letters and numbers>.jpg) into the box and hit "Import".

So the only way to do it is to use a third party site and upload your pic there ?

That's like hiring someone to scratch my balls for me. :wacko:

• Like 1

Nah, SallyD. You can upload it from your computer too. I was under the impression he'd tried that and it didn't work.

So http://imgur.com you reakon? I'll give that a crack. I tried a few from my photobucket page and that failed.

Just scaling my image right down in photoshop and going to try that too.

BAM! Just made the image 150 x 138 pixles and that did the trick. Cheers lads

• Like 1

cant get my avatar to work either. it's in "photo" in genereal setting, right?

It's showing OK on that page, but my display avatar is still the old one.

Had that problem once too. The software did infact change the avatar but was still showing the old one for a few minutes. Just took a while till it was changed in the system or something like that. No Idea why. If it takes longer than an hour or so, somethings really wrong though. :)

Atm, the avatar im seeing is a green bird if that is of any help for you.

Edited by Evil Genius

A while back when we could have like 2 avatars, one in the general forum, and one in our profile, i changed my profile one, and depending on which computer i was on, it would vary. On one computer it would be the old image and on another computer, it would be the newer image, and it was like that for days.

Geez, these avatars with a mind of their own, next they will be taking over the world.

Glad you nutted out the problem Nemesis, interesting avatar. :)

yeah the green bird! thats my new one. on my computer on the forums though its still showing the old one. wierd.

Glad you nutted out the problem Nemesis, interesting avatar. :)

Its the album cover off a kiwi rap group called Homebrew. Normally I dont touch rap with a 60 foot pole but these guys are a bit out there. ( They have a song about Datura for example )

I can't get animated gifs to work, it's poo :(

Maybe give it another go because I could upload my animated gif a couple of days ago.

• Like 1

Can't seem to get any animate gifs to work, tried various file sizes and image dimensions.

yeah the green bird! thats my new one. on my computer on the forums though its still showing the old one. wierd.

it's the same old [VERY old] story of caches. These often update after a few hours or days. Nothing to do with the forums software or the server, but with your ISP or computer.

One of the things you can try is rightclick on your avatar and select 'view image'. It will usually show the same image [all by itself]. Then click refresh and it often changes to the new image. Then backtrack to the forum page and all should be sweet.

Hey WOW I'm a Senior Psychonaut now, that means I can go and RULE people!

Edited by Halcyon Daze

Hey WOW I'm a Senior Psychonaut now, that means I can go and RULE people!

Wait til you're a Nauti Psycho, Senor, then we will have something to worry about!

I'm still having trouble with the animated gifs - any hints greatly appreciated :)