The Corroboree
Jonstn

Art of the brick (Lego exhibition)

Went to an art exhibition today called Art of the Brick, whole thing was Lego, pretty amazing the stuff that was there.

Highly reccommend it for any adelaideians, finishes June 11th I'm pretty sure.

Time for the pics :)

de023f10.jpg

22f58046.jpg

b900a2d3.jpg

8156801e.jpg

38bd754a.jpg

120d6b38.jpg

cd049d67.jpg

5e0af056.jpg

33ef1c43.jpg

8ed7102b.jpg

436f56f4.jpg

f60dc3d0.jpg

183bc891.jpg

3b30e9b3.jpg

6efb1cb6.jpg

ddae4613.jpg

a6f8319d.jpg

2e246930.jpg

9792b733.jpg

49600d35.jpg

3c5235b8.jpg

57feb06f.jpg

0080b068.jpg

d01a7fb9.jpg

78be1475.jpg

0f42e4bc.jpg

9ff84d07.jpg

It's safe to say I wish I still had my Lego hahaha, thanks for reading.

• Like 3

Lego rocks!, i still bust it out at the family home at xmas, and im in my 30's!

• Like 1

Love the yellow guy pulling his chest open with all the Lego pouring out looks awesome :)

• Like 1

LLLLEEEEEEGGGGGOOOOOOOO :) :) :)

:)

• Like 1

It was so awesome, the pics don't do it justice!!

The yellow dude looked sweet as, most of the models of people were life size, the grey one at the start holding his face was taller then me! Should have gotten a different angle you can't really see that he's holding his face a good foot away from his head.

The big red face was one of the ones that impressed me the most, was close to a meter tall and just kept staring at me haha

Oh and the peace sign only has one place on it where two of the same colours are touching, it's at the back somewhere, amazing for the size it is

this is awesome. reminds one that beauty is constructed by the complex arrangement of simple pieces. the red pill piece hints at a psychedelic undercurrent in this work. I once built a space ship from all the lego I owned, wish I still had that masterpiece...

and thanks Jonstn for taking the time to photograph this exhibition for us, what city was it in?

thanks 4 sharing, I got my childhood lego in some box and being 32, its funny I too feel like re-discovering them. especiallyat x-mas time , lol

some people do stop motion with lego.

was thinking of playing with something like that sometime

cheers

and thanks Jonstn for taking the time to photograph this exhibition for us, what city was it in?

It's in Adelaide at the moment, just at the showgrounds here :) small exhibit but was awesome nonetheless.

The guys name is Nathan Sawaya, he's an ex lawyer from new york I'm fairly certain, here's his website if anyone wanted to check him out:

http://brickartist.com/

Any chance I get I'm on the Lego haha, when I was in childcare I always made sure Lego was out for the kids but nothing I built ever lasted more then 10 mins lol

I want to go buy some Lego now....

Thanks for sharing

That's pretty cool. As a young child, my grandfather would take me to the lego exhibit, which back then was an annual event, hosted at the old Grace Brothers premises in Sydney, from memory. This was an all out travelling show, rather than a purely comercial event. It was mindblowing to read the plaques describing how many pieces were used , and how many hours each sculpture took to build it often ran into hundreds, if not thousands of hours. If lego is seeing a resurgence in popularity, and helps to engage kids in even slightly creative pursuits instead of being mind fucked by facebook & video games, then there's hope for humanity yet.

Here's a scanned copy of a 1982 show program. Includes an amanita !

http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/miscellaneous/WorldShows/LWS-1982.pdf

• Like 1

thanks 4 sharing, I got my childhood lego in some box and being 32, its funny I too feel like re-discovering them. especiallyat x-mas time , lol

some people do stop motion with lego.

was thinking of playing with something like that sometime

cheers

Some of the stop motions out there are incredible, I remember watching them in primary school, I think most of the ones nowadays are just computers though :(

I miss my box full of Lego lol gave it to my partners 7yo brother, some pretty old bricks in there my uncle gave me most of it, shit lasts forever!

I used to love Lego and I've been impressed to see that the company has branched out with their new motorised/computerised sets. It's also perhaps ironic that the last two two art exhibitions I've had have also featured Lego bricks in the gallery (one as a separate exhibition, the latest as a part of the exhibition).

Check out the universal construction kit which is designed to join up 10 different construction kits (Lego, Duplo, Kinnex etc).

• Like 1