The Corroboree
watertrade

Trichocereus

Question

I posted some of these cuttings for sale a few weeks ago. just wondering if anyone could take a guess at more info about them - originally from Cactus Country - Strathmerton.

2012-04-07121125.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like a cut I got off PD a while back that he called short-spined bridgesii....

I was gonna say scop x bridge or super pedro or Lance or the list goes on....

I think depending on the environment at this size they probably could.

I was gonna say scop x bridge or super pedro or Lance or the list goes on....

Thanks

I have it sitting next to a superpedro and its quite different. I have some scop x bridges which look different too. I have a 'lance' somewhere I will be able to I can compare it to. I will have a look.

Yeah looks Super Pedro to me, thats where Super Pedro comes from too I find it quite interesting you think it's different considering all the debate regarding the synonymity of these type of plants, lance, cordobensis, spiny scop etc.maybe they are all clones or or I have been thinking of late maybe they came from a highly homogenous batch of seeds.

At any rate you seen to have an extreme fascination with dolls :P

• Like 2

At any rate you seen to have an extreme fascination with dolls :P

haha, I spose it looks that way - given my avatar pic and all :P one of the neighbours kids chucked the headless man over the fence - It sat around in the garden for ages but now rides high on one of my plants.

I will get a pic side by side with what I know to be the common superpedro and you will see what I mean.

At the same time as getting this plant I also got the super pedro.

Edited by watertrade

You know, with all the hybrids around this is rather difficult to say what it is. It definately reminded me of the Super Pedro but thats all i can tell you. I have cacti in my garden that throw out diffrent looking pups every single time so i wouldnt be surprised if its one of them or maybe one of the many hybrids that it produced.

I would have said Super Pedro too. I have two different plants of Super Pedro and to me they look a bit different. The one in your pic reminds me a lot of one of them. At the very least I would probably lump it into that whole spiny scop/cordobensis complex.

That doll has some pretty well developed thigh muscles :wink:

Jim the owner of cactus country has a reputation for when asked about what are the specific Trichocereus species are in the gardens, the answer is always 'hybrids'.

I Think I will have to be happy with this answer :)

Could have been me. The more diffrent hybrids you raise from seed, the more you know that many of them can look so goddamn similar.

• Like 1

If this were my plant, I would just stick with calling it pachanoid. :P

• Like 1

I would call it a Strathmerton hybrid at least if someone passes it on its heritage will be at least acknowledged.

• Like 2

it has more in common with scopocula or cordobensis then pachanoi

I have to agree with Stilman. It really doesn't have the traits usually associated with T. pachanoi IMHO.

ok, this won't add too much to the conversation but here is what I know to be Superpedro that is growing just next to the other plant - .

2012-05-26111849-1.jpg

2012-05-26111833-1.jpg

2012-05-26111909-1.jpg

i stand corrected, spines are a little long, not green enough and not enough ribs for pach.The problem with trich's are they interbreed regularly, like dog breeds the more interbred it is, the more likely it will be called a mongrel. then we go around making assumptions. eg (i think it has a bit of staffy in it or bully) lol.

I can see a clear resemblance there. Though I can also detect a difference too. To me it's looks like there could a little bit of Bridgesoid in there. Hmm, I am definitely becoming more interested in this one.

• Like 1

this is my Scop x bridgesii (psycho0) originally purchased from Herbalistics by Hunnicut, for comparison.

DSCF2160.jpg

DSCF2161.jpg

DSCF2159.jpg

I would think your plant is more super pedro-esque than this plant.

Edited by Stillman

Wow interesting thread.

I guess I may possibly have a scop X bridge in my collection, I will post pics for comparison when I can take them but what I thought was a pach X scop looks exactly like what you've got there stillman

• Like 1

and M smith said he thought it was a small cordebenses which I think alot of people think the Lance clone is which is by all accounts is the same clone as Super pedro. lol

I said that was a T. cordobensis type? Hum...

Looks something like I might imagine T. pachanoi X T. bridgesii to look like. The transverse furrows (V-notches) keep me a bit on the T. pachanoi side, sort of like this "Kimnach" T. pachanoi, but the angularity of the ribs has me seeing a bit of T. bridgesii.

Here's my own "Kimnach" T. pachanoi.

4799876375_149f393b9a_o.jpg

~Michael~

Edited by M S Smith
  • Like 1