The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ed Dunkel

Pigface

I heard that the local aboriginals in Vic eat the seeds of the pigface plants near the coast. Are they tasty and how do you prepare them (if at all)?

Smilies testing area:

smile.gif

frown.gif

redface.gifbiggrin.gifwink.giftongue.gifcool.gifrolleyes.gifmad.gifeek.gifconfused.gif

E D

Guest cornucopia

It's the whole fruit that is edible, and reasonably tatsy as well. Often found along the sand dunes of SE Australia, often in fruit, and a succulent refreshing bit of beach tucker as well. Often a bit salty and sweet, or hot from the sun. Eat them straight off the plant.

Guest cornucopia

None are poisonous, but I guess there is a limit to anything. So avoid eating a kilo or so of them I'd say.

They look like small horned plums, soft and succulent when ripe, with a deep red colour and a few seeds that can be munched with the whole fruit.

Leaves are triangular succulent pale green sometimes with reddish tints. Distinctive plant at the beach, check along the dunes just behind high tide mark. The leaves are also edible, within narrower limits probably, and can be steamed. A bit salty and wierd succulent texture.

From the same family as the Hottentot Fig, Mesembryanthemums, Warrigal greens and the Ice Plants, the Aizoaceae.

[This message has been edited by cornucopia (edited 19 April 2000).]

Originally posted by earthalchemist:

hey ed, can you show us how to do all those smilies??

Yeah sure, just type in your usual ": - )" type thing and it will turn automatically into a smiley. Or go to the "Smilies Legend at: http://www.shaman-australis.com/ubb/smilies.html

Have fun

E D

Originally posted by earthalchemist:

thanks ed ... btw, how did you find that url? it's not linked from the faq

I found the link left next to were I am typing now (in the reply post window). It's called "Smilies Legend"

eek.gif

E D