The Corroboree
Torsten

Xanthorrea resin

Sounds good, but I don't have much at the moment.

I will message you with details.

Ive heard that the resin is good on the fire for detering mozzies and that it contains an anaesthetic that puts you to sleep. Im curious about this as Ive been making bone necklaces with resin in holes for effect, the smoke from the resin and the resin if you rubb it smells like kava to me!! Will do some sciency searches to see if it contains anything like kava lactones.

I think two common species of Xanthorrhoea in Vic. are X. Australis and X. Minor. I read that the leaf bases of some species were eaten by Aborigines and that X. Australis produces edible tubers when young. To cut a long story short, I found some karma friendly plants in Vic. (X., but species unknown) and checked out the leaf bases. I didn't go after tubers as the plants looked very old. A short section, maybe a few centimetres, of the leaf base was soft and seemed starchy, almost like firm pasta. I ate a few. Everything within the "trunk," including the leaf bases, was covered in orange resin and it looked like the resin was holding the whole thing together. The resin was very tacky and quite bitter and it had an unfamiliar, but almost citrus-like taste, and it stuck to my tongue for for nearly an hour after eating the leaf bases. Eating the leaf bases with the resin on them reminded me of eating hop flowers.

Actually neither. The statement wasn't well worded. I was trying to describe how both (hop flowers and X. leaf bases) left a lingering, sticky, bitter residue on my tongue. The leaf bases did not appear to be psychoactive, but hop flowers (Humulus lupulus) don't affect me either, even in large quantities.

Edited by TB-303

friend showed me an interesting use for the resin recently,

he dissolved it in metho which he then applied with a paintbrush to the rust holes on his car, he then put down a small amount of fiberglass which he 'painted' over. after drying no more hole.

also painted onto smaller rust outbreaks without the use of fiberglass to prevent spreading. he is of the opinion that it is about as good as rust converter.

*edit - enquired again and turns out in his enthusiasm he forgot to mention that he is only in the testing phase, didn't mean to get anyone's hopes up

Edited by elfwhisper

A few months ago I got a chance to try some of this resin. Taken from X. australis. Not really knowing what to do me and a friend tried ingesting a small little ball, about 1cm cube. It made us both feel very sick. no vomiting, but I wouldn't try it again. I'll get some more soon and try it as an incense. that sounds a lot more pleasant.

A few months ago I got a chance to try some of this resin. Taken from X. australis. Not really knowing what to do me and a friend tried ingesting a small little ball, about 1cm cube. It made us both feel very sick. no vomiting, but I wouldn't try it again. I'll get some more soon and try it as an incense. that sounds a lot more pleasant.

why did you eat it? :scratchhead:

I know of taller ones ,but the base on this one in Dunsborough is huge .West aus.post-4908-1244962324_thumb.jpg

000_0452.JPG

000_0452.JPG

Wow! What an amazing tree! We certainly don't have them of that size here. Just little fella's with their flowering spikes sticking up when they do.

I will have to keep an eye out for the resins you have all been talking about and give them a go as incense.

I recall there being some really beauties on Fraser Island when I went there as a teenager. Not sure how that place is still going though, even then it was getting fairly raped by the 4wd wankers.

anyhow. grass trees. interesting read and a good thing to look out for on my next walk

peace

mz

why did you eat it? :scratchhead:

I've tried quite a few nice plant resins, kind of like incense flavoured chewing gum. I can't remember the name of the plant off the top of my head, but I did try a really nice resin one of my friends imported a few years ago. I'll post it up as soon as i can remember.

So I thought the grasstree resin might be worth a taste.

Edited by prier