The Corroboree
Torsten

Xanthorrea resin

I am looking for info about the medicinal and recreational uses of Xanthorrea gum. This gum is an exudate from the 'black boys' or 'grass trees'. It has some fascinating physical properties and a little history of traditional use. Any details welcome.

Also, if anyone has a karma free source for this, please let me know.

I too have heard that it was used recreationally... there is also a bit about (non-psychoactive) uses of it in Useful Wild Plants as you probably know... one of those things I've been meaning to look into too. Why the emphasis on karma free? I thought it was common horticulturally and in the wild?

Grass trees are very popular garden plants. however they really only look stunning once they are several decades old. This has caused a major depletion of this plant in the wild and laws were passed for its protection a few years ago. The stupidity of ripping up the plants and re-planting them is that they almost never survive. people don't realise this, as the plants can continue to live without regrowing a rootsystem for several years. So most people just think they did something wrong in cultivating them, rather than that the plant would have never lived anyway.

They enjoy special protection now, which has made it feasable to grow them in nurseries. the prices are stunning too, but at least you know the plant is legal.

Guest reville

blackboys are common in WA, though they have been decimated as the urban sprawl continues to gobble up their habitat - the perth sandplains are perfect habitat and in a preseved remnat of bush down the road from me (samson park)they are the dominant understorey, with macrozmia reidlei and eucalptus marginata,E gomocephala overstorey.

There are other species too - in particular the black gin , which i can only distinguish when it flowers - it has many small spikes in a rosette, whereas the blackboy has a single large one.

Theyre still clearing madly here so if i find an upturned plant - what do i do to get the resin?

and - has anyone tried growing them from seed?are there any special techniques, ive been meaning to try it for ages and im sure some seed should be ripe soon on the ones down the road which is X preisii,

i have a lump of gum already it tastes both tannin rich and slimey , much like the gum of Eucalyptus (corymbia) calophylla - marri, an associated plant species.

the easiest way to collect the resin is from the large globules that form around the base of the plant, although there does appear be a bit coating the leaf bases that make up the trunk. The largest quantity would be from the globules though and it won't harm the plant. I think they can be germinated by burning some debris over where they are scattered/planted.

Guest reville

hey torsten and other psychonauts - i have definitely found a supply, karma free too

thres two types - the hard glass like balls around the base of the trunk and the slightly sticky fresh exudate from the spear?!

where to from here??

Guest mulga

Assuming the west coast varieties have resin with the same properties, which I believe it does to a great extent. The WA stuff being actually more harvested by non-Aboriginals than any other, and regarded as the best variety I gather.

The resin actually holds the leaf bases in place and can be found literally throughout the outer stem, even in very older specimens, usually if you break up the trunk you find heaps of old resin through the whole trunk, and why globules of it form on the outside of the trunk even near the base when the heat of fires melts the resin.

Due to it's plastic nature when heated, it can actually be relatively easy to clean the stuff up by throwing the whole crushed stem into a large pot of water over a flame.

As the melting point of the resin is just below the boiling point of water, it turns to liquid and seperates from the woody plant material and sinks to the bottom of the pot (it's heavier than water). Residual plant material can be relatively easy to skim off the top or seperated from the resin at this stage, and then also seperated from the water. When hot it is like a piece of well worked blue tack, somewhat sticky and totally plastic. You can shape it to just about any shape and by the time it reaches room temperature, it is a glassy hard solid non-sticky mass. No wonder it was significant for Aboriginal people being such a directly pliable natural resin.

One point with doing it this way is that you tend to lose some of the more aromatic or essential oil properties of the resin. Collecting globules from the trunk and not going through this process will give you a slightly more aromatic resin... it has been used as an incense resin, but after the initial aromatic smell I've found it to become a bit plastic in it's smell as well.

Guest UV1

What are the medicinal and recreational uses/effects that people have hard of?

I know the commercialy available powder called Red Gum is Xanthorrea resin, it's commercial uses aren't very interesting though.

I found this trhead after doing a search. I was really getting into it when it suddenly ended without any real conclusion.

Did anyone find out what the effects of this resin is and the best method for enjoying them (eg smoking)?

Originally posted by reville:

- has anyone tried growing them from seed?are there any special techniques, ive been meaning to try it for ages and im sure some seed should be ripe soon on the ones down the road which is X preisii,

Just to side track, I also have been trying to grow them from seed (commercial source and few local collected) with no luck at all! frown.gif

There must be a sure fire method.

E D

Guest Ramon
Originally posted by Ed Dunkel:

There must be a sure fire method.

E D

Hit the nail on the head, I believe that these need to be exposed to smoke as if a bushfire had happened.

By the way what is this resin supposed to be good for appart from holding spear together

I just got a whole heap of X australis seed and will try germinating with smoke. with artificail smoke and without smoke.

The resin is more used as an incense rather than smoked. Not sure what it is supposed to achieve. I'm sure I'll be getting some soon and will report then.

recently bought some x preisii seed, trying to germinate them with artifical smoke crystals ... they really smell like bushfires smile.gif

i've just got them in seed raising mix, smoke crystals on soil surface, covered with plastic and sitting outside in filtered sunlight (or they will be if it ever stops raining in sydney)

if you're in sydney these can be found at the wildflower florist in darling harbour, along with the smoke crystals

happiness

ea

Guest castenoda
Originally posted by earthalchemist:

recently bought some x preisii seed, trying to germinate them with artifical smoke crystals ... they really smell like bushfires   smile.gif

i've just got them in seed raising mix, smoke crystals on soil surface, covered with plastic and sitting outside in filtered sunlight (or they will be if it ever stops raining in sydney)

if you're in sydney these can be found at the wildflower florist in darling harbour, along with the smoke crystals

happiness

ea

i think you my also be interested in looking at duboisia hopwoodii. it grows all along the north coast and the leaves have certain effects when chewed. use fresh and only four to eight medium sized ones.

i think you my also be interested in looking at duboisia hopwoodii. it grows all along the north coast and the leaves have certain effects when chewed. use fresh and only four to eight medium sized ones.

I am intrigued. Where on the northcoast would Duboisia hopwoodii be growing. We have plenty of Duboisia myoporoides, but for hopwoodii I think you would have to go further inland. Myoporoides is not nearly as interesting as hopwoodii.

Assuming the west coast varieties have resin with the same properties, which I believe it does to a great extent. The WA stuff being actually more harvested by non-Aboriginals than any other, and regarded as the best variety I gather.

The resin actually holds the leaf bases in place and can be found literally throughout the outer stem, even in very older specimens, usually if you break up the trunk you find heaps of old resin through the whole trunk, and why globules of it form on the outside of the trunk even near the base when the heat of fires melts the resin.

Due to it's plastic nature when heated, it can actually be relatively easy to clean the stuff up by throwing the whole crushed stem into a large pot of water over a flame.

As the melting point of the resin is just below the boiling point of water, it turns to liquid and seperates from the woody plant material and sinks to the bottom of the pot (it's heavier than water). Residual plant material can be relatively easy to skim off the top or seperated from the resin at this stage, and then also seperated from the water. When hot it is like a piece of well worked blue tack, somewhat sticky and totally plastic. You can shape it to just about any shape and by the time it reaches room temperature, it is a glassy hard solid non-sticky mass. No wonder it was significant for Aboriginal people being such a directly pliable natural resin.

One point with doing it this way is that you tend to lose some of the more aromatic or essential oil properties of the resin. Collecting globules from the trunk and not going through this process will give you a slightly more aromatic resin... it has been used as an incense resin, but after the initial aromatic smell I've found it to become a bit plastic in it's smell as well.

Yeah, over here in WA they are everywhere and Baardi grubs can be harvested from the trunks. Shamans tea: made from the leaf bases (about 7 or so) is an amazing musky tasting brew from it.

Used as binder in fireworks ,rockets etc where water soluble glue contra indicated.

Violin varnish like shellac.

AKA accroides gum .

www. auschems.com I don't know how to create link

I love seeing these old threads ressurected. Ahhh the memories!!! :wub:

My work with plants along the Barry Way (Snowy Mts), allowed be to pick up resin on the ground around the trunk.

Probably a termite defense mechanism, as the resin is somewhat sweet and attracts black ants, a natural enemy of termites.

My work is mainly to develope an indiginous flora incense mix. The resin is somewhat acrid. Note that resins are not gums, resins being alcohol soluble!

An aboriginal cooking show (on ABC I think) used a pinch of the resin in a recipe.

I recently was given the woody bracts (I think that is the botanical name of the plant part) which are a much sweeter and subtle perfume cf the resin.

I have been working on another resin from a cypress species (native) which is an exceptional perfume, and produces a full body anaesthetic sensation. The oil extracted from the tree contains over 10% bisabolol, the highest concerntration of any plant species known. I'll bring some sample to EGA Melb Uni.

Hey peeps, well apparently the resin contains arsenic and wood turners in the west here are aware of its toxicity ,although it is a beautiful wood they neglect it because of this. The dust is very dangerous to those who would breathe it .Noongars used the resin for adhering the tips of spears. it is an excellent glue ..... i can access this resin as i inhabit regions where there are numerous injured trees,some reaching 20 feet in height. Eucalypt species offer a more helpful sap,bloodwood resin from,marri,karri,jarrah but especially karri ie:wound healing{instant scabs}ive been in the bush miles from any bandaid or doctor and have healed my open wounds better than any doctor could with this sap. joy .......

Hay Blownq when you say the sap contains arsnic and wood turners avoid this butifull wood. Are you still talking about Grass-Trees?

Because dead trunks that I've seen are just pithy material with a hard bark shell.

And arsenic is a not very common element (Ar), could have you meant cyanide (a carbon ring molecule) which many plant species contains.

I vaguly remember being told that this resin was used to treat diohera ( or was it bloodwood resin?(Corrimbia spp.) cant quite remember.)

WARNING dont go near Erythrophleum chlorostachys known as "Cooktown Ironwood". Had a goat that died a horable death from eating the new leaves.

Hay actualy come to think of it - and just done a web search - That was severe cyanide poisoning (Poor Goat :( )

Grass-Trees gum/sap dose make a awesome red varnish though, and the smell is wonderful, it would make suburb incense (if it is not toxic!)

Love the smell of Karri gum aswell (one of our few NthQLD conifers).

I have to say Blonq I like you bush medicine style :lol:

:)[ Now ive only ever heard of this sawdust toxicity from other people, mostly locals .I wasnt about to test the theory so i abandoned my wood carving trails. the bases of the grass tree are solid wood ,in a cone shape, and the trees have to be a few hundred years old or thousand ,which the ones they knocked down to make another stupid vineyard were .ive seen tables made, maybe a foot and a half in diameter, a really stunning wood when sanded and oiled, but i have heard from numerous wood workers to be careful of the shavings. ive eaten the seeds yum. The ones in the west here are different from the east coast ones some are absolutely massive 20, 25 feet with multiple heads some ive counted 10 heads. but those ones are only seen by those willing to crawl trough vicous spiny undergrowth. the make great shelter and one can hide under the old grass and remain dry in rainy weather. love em.

Wow 25 ft tall and up to 10 heads! Thats would be impressive!

Yep the ones around here (Nth East coast) are seldom above 6 or 8 ft and 2 headers are rare.

It's horable that they are being knocked down in your aria, not just that they are so old, beautiful and unique, but they would supply food for bird spices (nectar and seeds) as well as providing essential nesting zones and protection in their crown for birds and small mammals.

I didn't even know that the seeds were edible, I suppose birds like them, but birds can eat some sus shit sometimes.

I'll give the seeds try next time I'm up the scrub. I don't mind trying out a bit of bush tucker.

Cheers Blownq

Mate in the place i hangout in there are numerous tress probably in the thousands of years old, which are not harmed by humans, rather insects,old age and fire etc.. absolutely dripped with large globular chunks of resin ,you want trade bro let me know...............................wa