The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Justler

Mushie hunt?

Hey guys,

Was wondering if there was any SABers about in the Sydney / Blue mountain / Central coast regions, that would be keen to meet up for a mushie hunt? That said, I don't know exactly where would be the best place to hunt, as I'm quite inexperienced.

I don't mind travelling either, though something a little closer to home than Oberon would be awesome.

I was fortunate enough to head up to the Oberon sub camp this year, and had an awesome time foraging the pine forests for fungal delights! Found heaps of Saffron Milk Caps, Amanitas, and a few subs. Saw quite a few other species as well, although my Iding skills failed me. Definitely need to invest in a decent NSW based mushie book.

Anyone keen?

Edited by Justler

I'd probably be keen mate, but we'll need some rain first. I headed out to the pine forests a few days ago and it was pretty dry out there. I also dropped into Mt Wilson, which is usually a mycophile's wet dream, but there was basically no mushroom activity whatsoever. Also, the only good locations I know of are west of the mountains, but I'd be happy to do some exploring (it is my name after all :P).

• Like 1

I'd probably be up for this. Need some more rain though.

• Like 1

Boys, boys, boys... No need to drive all the way to the Blue Mountains and beyond! Once we get a bit or rain under our belt, Sydney will be aglow with sub activity. I won't be giving away any specific locations (so don't PM me anyone! :) ), but suburbia is your friend. Especially when suburbia backs onto bushland. I live on the beach in metropolitan Sydney and there are at least 4 patches within 5 minutes of my house. There's another bunch near my mum's place in the inner-west. Some of these are producing already, even with these warm temperatures and without any rain all month. And when you have a bunch of local patches, then you can re-visit several times throughout the season and take all the photos you want of mushrooms at various stages of development.

Open your street directory and scan around for the green parts near your street, and hit them, one at a time, on your way home from work, on your way to the shops, etc.

• Like 2

listen to marcel on this one guys, ive been mapping all the woodchip beds around my area as Ive just moved here.. but yeh there starting to come up in what i would presume to be strong mycellium networks for me anyways, minus the rain. i used to drive 3 hours round trip for a hunt, but ive learnt better, thanks to this forum :)

d00d

Yeah fair call Marcel, but blokes bonding in the bush is a beaut thing binding wether finding or not.

Peeps like Justler can only learn out in the bush with experienced dudes like your good self.

Agree with Tonic we need more rain before wasting the time and petrol.

• Like 1

Sometimes when the dew point is reached for a few consecutive days that can condense enough moisture to get things happening.

• Like 4

Once we get a bit or rain under our belt, Sydney will be aglow with sub activity. , but suburbia is your friend.

That's why its called SUBurbia !

:)

Edited by Amazonian
  • Like 2

I reckon i could train my dog to find specific fungi, you know, a Sub' sniffer dog. I am serious.

• Like 3

Cool, definitely need some rain, just thought i'd put the idea out there so we can be hunting on the next flush.

As Colhawk suggested there is nothing quite like a good bush adventure. That's what I was thinking as well. It would be great to spend a day out in the bush with mother nature, hunting for some of her magic, and learning about other edibles species. Would also be great to meet and get to know a few more like minded peeps.

Amazonian, can I send you my dog for a week or so!?!?! I am serious. B) I think you've got a solid business opportunity right there!

Edited by Justler

Amazonian, can I send you dog for a week or so!?!?! I am serious. B) I think you've got a solid business opportunity right there!

Hey yeah, I could call the business 'The Sub Hounds Of SAB'. Pitty it would only be seasonal. :)

You could train them to sniff out "interesting" acacias in the off season.

Sorry to be a wet towel, but with no way to determine the motives of each and every person who might join such a mission, I would think it unwise to organize such an event publicly. Maybe Mr. Plod would like to come as well, and bust "an organized syndicate with $20,000 worth of class A drugs."

Please be safe friends. :)

• Like 1

Strong point blunt muffin, I hadn't really thought of it like that. Though the focus doesn't have to be on Subs, as I'm sure, well atleast hoping there are plenty other edible or interesting fungi around. Recently a friend of a friend (hmm that statement never sounds like there will be much truth to the story), but anyway, a friend told me that a mate of his saw some bioluminescent mushrooms around "The Gap" in Watsons bay. I knew such mushies existed but I thought they were quite rare, and hadn't contemplated the idea they were chilling in Sydney.

Okay. The main concern is the slang word 'mushies', which has a certain connotation. I wasn't suggesting that you were doing that, but just suggesting to be careful. :)

I like to get out there myself and lie around in the dirt and leaves taking pics of fungi :wub: don't really mind what type they are. Here's an example>>>>

gallery_3332_146_290155.jpg

gallery_3332_146_342434.jpg

• Like 1

^ Lovely shots ^

I prefer the bush any day. Though the Blue Mt.s are a bloody long way from Sydney...

Had the rain, anyone up for edible hunt near the central coast? PM me.

I have found some large Wine Caps lately.

Can anyone ID these please?

Russula sp.

• Like 2

Probably Leratiomyces ceres aka Stropharia aurantiaca.

Thanks for the compliments, I had forgotten about this thread.

I agree with Marcel on the ID.

When did this thread become an ID thread? :scratchhead:

When the hunter found some new mushrooms... and then asked under the heading 'mushroom hunt'.

Still waiting for takers to go on a hunt after all that rain too.