The Corroboree
Darklight

Kava in Feb 2012 Record of Reasons

For those of you who haven't previously followed this, the document which controls some of our access to medicines, chemicals and plants within Australia is called the Standard for the Uniform Scheduling of Medicines and Poisons ( SUSMP )

Changes to it are outlined in a document called the Record of Reasons ( it has a longer name ) and these changes are absorbed into the SUSMP. To keep abreast of these changes, bookmark the parent page http://www.tga.gov.au/industry/scheduling-decisions-final.htm

There were a bucketload of interesting discussions in the Feb 2012 Record of Reasons

http://www.tga.gov.au/industry/scheduling-decisions-1202-final.htm

Extensive discussions on kava, synthetic cannabinoids and entheogen use.

Personally the discussion around kava interested me the most. As an issue, it's the most likely one to be changed in law. The extensive and comprehensive nature of the discussion was impressive, including the inconsistency between import and personal use, methods of preparation- and the total lack of discussion around the harm caused by use of extracts of non-root portions in complementary medicine was also noteworthy

Upshot- nothing changed as far as I can tell. but the exhaustive discussion involving many governmental, social and academic interests shows a better-than-kneejerk response to a complex issue

• Like 1

Interesting read, thanks for posting.

Interesting with the progression of the depth of restrictions on Kava, started off some restrictions in 2003 but could still bring in tea bags with less than 3g and a few other things then slowly chip away at what was allowable.

Great links, thanks Darklight.

I have so far only read through the kava discussion, but I found the historical background decisions by the NDPSC etc particularly interesting, as I had little prior (concrete) knowledge of these matters.

Great to see a reasonable discussion with input from diverse areas of the community.

The redaction shits me, but I suppose it is a necessity if you want broader involvement.

can anyone confirm if it is still legal to bring in 2kg for personal use when you enter the country?

can anyone confirm if it is still legal to bring in 2kg for personal use when you enter the country?

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30097&st=0

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

I just did a search for Piper sp. on the AQIS website under seeds for sowing, and up popped this:

Table 2a: List of Prohibited Species. These species are prohibited entry by Schedule 4 of the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956. Imports of these plants must be referred to the Australian Customs Service prior to quarantine clearance.

Piper methysticum

So AQIS have decided to contact customs when you try to import the plant under any circumstances, including seed. So I followed their link to the customs website and this is what they say:

Kava (restricted import)

Description:

A plant that is traditionally used for therapeutic and recreational purposes by certain cultures.

Importers must obtain the following from the Therapeutic Goods Administration before importing kava:

• Licence to Import Controlled Substances, and

• Import permit for each consignment of kava.

The original copy of the import permit for each consignment must be presented to Customs and Border Protection when the goods arrive in Australia.

Exemption:

A passenger, on a ship or aircraft, aged 18 years or more, may import up to two (2) kilograms of kava in either root or dried powder form in their accompanied baggage without a permit.

This exemption does not apply to kava being imported via post, courier services or unaccompanied baggage. In these cases an import permit is required to be presented to Customs.

http://www.customs.g...e4369.asp#e1065

just bring it in and declare it....worse than do is take it off you.

I brought under 2kg with me from Fiji last December. I declared it and the customs fellow said that it's all good.