The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Nemisty

Reducing the space between internodes on Salvia

#Note from Moderator: Salvia is legal where Nemesis lives. Please ensure that your replies are not self-incriminating if Salvia is illegal where you live.#

Late this summer I got some cuttings of Salvia. They took off like rockets and have produced som big leaves. But they are hardly bushy at all. What is needed to reduce the distance between the internodes and pump out more foliage?

Going to cut these plants up next summer and just make lots of cuttings. But I dont want to make the same mistake twice. I'm guessing more humidity, less sunlight? What are your guys thoughts?

This is where there at currently.

IMG_8153.jpg

Edited by ballzac

look in hydro shops bratherrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Like 1

ahh jest read the post, more sunlight would help out..

looks like its trying to bolt to the sun

• Like 1

salvia species strike well in water from what i can remember.

Hey man :)

Gotta keep tipping her or Sally will get leggy.

Moreso in pots than in soil.

And no, more humidty and less sunlight will make them stretch even more.

If they are growing in the middle of the room where you have taken the photo they probably dont have enough sun.

A warm window or even better a conservatory or a sun room would be good if possible

Edit: just noticed this, givem a repot. my Sallys always seemed to stall if they got rootbound (happens quick) so now they all go in the ground after they have rooted.

So if I was you I would take a cutting of each and then repot in some rich rich soil.

She will love you for it!

Edited by centipede
  • Like 1

this will do the trick mate.. or you could tip em also, so they branch out like a bob marley plant...snip the top main stem right off to promote branching....

http://www.ebay.com....=item1c1fa18c1b

Edited by applesnail

Hmm okay thanks centipede.

Im torn between doing cuttings now while there is some remaining warmth or waiting for spring. I think they're okay in there pots, it dont mind if they slow down for the winter. Will repot when I cut them up. Its just how to make them thick and bushy when they do grow I'm trying to figure out.

Hydro is a bit to costly for my budget spacemonk.

this will do the trick mate..

http://www.ebay.com....=item1c1fa18c1b

Cheers dude will look into that :)

basicallly what everyone said tip and repot then place in more sun,

then over winter she'll put out heaps of roots then grow into a monster by summer time.

Will root year round in NZ if indoors.

I imagine where I live is slightly colder than where you are, Salvia doesn't slow down that much over winter and cuttings take the same amount of time as in summer.

I will try and get a pic of my greenhouse Salvias up, they have huge leaves and are quite bushy compared to the Salvia in the cactus house.

They have responded well to all ferts I have given them (1/2 dosage on label at least). Especially the bat guano organic ferts from SOG. I think it's called Earth Juice.

• Like 1

Good to know.

Have been feeding mine Seasol seaweed concentrate every now and then and thats alright.

I think I'll buy one of those little green houses at some stage, plants are taking up my room lol.

Please do upload pics, would be good to see other set-ups.

Looks like they need a drink :wink:

Cuttings in my rough as guts rooting set up (Salvia roots almost as quick in this as it does in a heated tub)

post-7609-0-92378700-1336898262_thumb.jp

Roots after one week. These had hormone applied but it is unnesscesary.

post-7609-0-75270400-1336898306_thumb.jp

How it grows in the salvia house if left alone. didn't turn the soil or anything in here so these grow slower.

The condensation is all from one small bucket of water in the middle of it. The yellowing leaves to the right are from a nutrient deprived Psychotria species.

post-7609-0-14436100-1336898313_thumb.jp

Some cuttings that went in more recently

post-7609-0-98886800-1336898317_thumb.jp

And the Salvia in the cactus house. This has been attacked by mites and aphids before, due to the dry conditions probably.

post-7609-0-26605300-1336898345_thumb.jp

This is my minimal effort approach to Salvia heh :)

post-7609-0-92378700-1336898262_thumb.jpg

post-7609-0-75270400-1336898306_thumb.jpg

post-7609-0-14436100-1336898313_thumb.jpg

post-7609-0-98886800-1336898317_thumb.jpg

post-7609-0-26605300-1336898345_thumb.jpg

post-7609-0-92378700-1336898262_thumb.jpg

post-7609-0-75270400-1336898306_thumb.jpg

post-7609-0-14436100-1336898313_thumb.jpg

post-7609-0-98886800-1336898317_thumb.jpg

post-7609-0-26605300-1336898345_thumb.jpg

Edited by centipede

I think you Salvias are doing remarkably well. I planted a few in the ground, and have heard from another NZer that they can grow outside, with a bit of die-back in winter. I don't know how mine will do. But if they are outside and not in a Greenhouse, be careful of caterpillars. They absolutely rape Salvias. ;_;

A bit more light, and taking cuttings will get your Salvias to be more bushy. Be careful with your watering in winter as well, as I think they are less able to dry their soil due to less sun and if you water the same as summer - it could be too much.

I also rooted cuttings all year round in a humidity chamber with the cuttings sitting in a little glass. I didn't even change the water that often (maybe twice a week, if that).

^^Yeah, accidently tipped a couple girls so I chucked the tips in the scummy tub in the salvia house and they sent out roots amongst the algae etc lol

We have probably talked to the same person Blunt, they mentioned theirs flowered outside :)

I know up in Northland it grows outdoors year round..

this thread is so depressing to me as an oz member :(

Shit centipede thats not too shabby at all :wink:

Talked with a guy over at the shroomery who has pics of his salvia growing outside up Whangarei ways. I could probably actually pull that off myself. Brick house facing north with a patio and a sheltered corner. Aparently the preying mantis do a good job if you put a few on your plants, keep off some of the nasties.

I wonder now if the short window of time that direct sunlight falls onto the ladies is the cause. They get light coming through all day but during the morning is when they get the most exposure and the rest of the day its just general daylight.