The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Marklar

europe trip. recommendations...warnings?

July 18

Me, my girlfriend, and 4 mates from school are going on a semi planned trip through europe were all 21, its a few of our first times over seas. i will be doing festivals and events with my mates but splitting up and doing some couple stuff with the girlfriend too. definate destinations are boom festival in portugal, outlook festival in croatia and oktoberfest (28th july to 26th september for us) nothing else really booked yet and have till mid december there, so im guessing im asking;

anyone been to any of these festivals?

any must see locations/ favourite destinations?

tips or even some cool stories?

im interested in medieval and historical sights and also any parties and events that are worthy! so yeah any tips or stories would be appreciated.

thanks

cory

That's a pretty broad ask, but if you're in Portugal you might as well skip over the border into Spain & visit the Alhambra.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=alhambra&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=QJW&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=BEmuT5aQHueaiAfgmMXaCA&ved=0CJkBELAE&biw=1280&bih=1023

They have a ton ov fiestas in Spain you could check out, but even if there's nothing going on the vibe in Spain is pretty cool. Basically they have siesta in the afternoon & get up about 4pm. The evening meal can be as late as 10pm to midnight. Nightlife kicks off around 3am & goes on & on & on.

Stay away from British enclaves like the Costa del Sol....i love the English but i wouldn't want to mix w/them...anyway they get ripped the fuck off.

The Greek islands are a tad expensive but fucking amazingly beautiful & Ios is a 24 hour party zone...bit too much for me, but hey you're 21!!!

& then ov course there's Ibiza, which i'm sure you've heard ov. Has to be experienced to be believed.

Have big fun.

Also if you're ov Anglo extraction you should visit England.....i know it's not exotic or romantic, but it's full ov history.

London itself is amazing. The tower of London & the Crown Jewels are a must see.

If you're into more underground currents then the Highgate Cemetery is a must, as are the churches designed by Nicholas Hawksmoor.

Cornwall is the most beautiful part ov England & a trip to Bodmin Moor is an education in itself, & then there are the plethora ov ancient standing stones etc. that litter the Cornish countryside.

And then there's Stonehenge, Glastonbury & Avebury....

Edited by nabraxas

yeah I've heard great things about boom, ozora in hungary is supposed to good too. will be heading to one or the other this year hopefully, never been before. if your staying until december you should probably check out northern europe first while its warm then start heading south as the cold sets in. check out Christiania in copenhagen (a "self-proclaimed autonomous neighbourhood"), and maybe amsterdam while you still can.

Yeah a broad ask i know but im gone for 5 months with no real itinery so its gonna be a broad trip! when my shengen visit is up ill be spending the last 2 months in the uk going to the whole castle thing (as much as i can before GF gets bored haha). flying into barcelona at first then making my way down to portugal for boom then probs do some sightseeing through spain (alhambra looks awesome) on way to croatia. after oktoberfest ill probly head through amsterdam on way to uk, is it worth it? and ill definately look into christiania. thanks for the replys guys

ill probly head through amsterdam on way to uk, is it worth it?

probably not worth going out of your way unless there is a particular festival or party to go to, spain and portugal sounds ace :)

Amsterdam is actually nice. It's a little overly touristy hyped,... but if you can find your way below that superficial stuff.... Good historical & art museums. Great nightlife. I lived in The Netherlands for 4 years, 3 of those were close to A'dam and visited it regularly. Where ever you go,... meet people,... see what they tell you is cool.

yeah im not really interested if its mostly worth it because of the weed because thats not exactly a culture shock haha, but i have heard the vibes and nightlife are good, i ight check it if my 3 months in schengen doesnt run out early

Before leaving get a money-pouch belt capable of locking with a small padlock , for your passport , cards , etc . If you're in a hostel dorm or similar , wear it at all times - even when sleeping . Join " Youth Hostels " before leaving Oz - otherwise you may be shocked at accomodation prices . The locals are a good source of information for things to do ; but beware of asking for directions in France - they seem to enjoy bullshitting to tourists . You're going to have a ball - wish I were going with you .

• Like 1

do as many greek islands as you can, ios and (Rhodes was fun too....so many islands:) was my fave last time i was there.

is eurail pass still an option?? get an international license.

Spain, portugal is hot, why not drop in on evil in germany........haahaa

Croatia is very much drunken fun just like Czech crazies. oh man.............i wish i could join you travellors on this one.oh boy, ....the mind boggles at your endless possibilities.(excuse me while i wipe away the drool).keep ya passport up your arse for safe keeping.....and for smelly novelty jokings with the border guards .

haggle wherever you can...drool.

du musee du Louvre is pretty amazing - we went twice.....still only saw a fraction of the goodies.

a wise ex-Yugo once said to me that "bringink vwomen to Europe is like bringink sandwich to restaurant"

probly shouldn't say that to your girlfriend tho :lol:

• Like 1

I don't know how much of greece I am going to see because I want to sail and scuba through the islands but don't really think I have the time I would like to spend there so will probably go back another time and do it all I'm hoping

I don't think I can get an international licence because I lost it over here and eurail looks good, can only get tickets valid over a couple months tho I think?

Good idea with the money pouch hadn't thought of anythnig like that yet but also hiding my passport in my bum sounds like a lot of fun and a good idea too! Haha cheers for the replys

Oh yeah and definately won't be telling that one to don't think she would see the funny side haha

Hey,

Europe is fantastic and although the old classics like Rome, Paris, Barcelona ... won't bore, it could be nice to do an alternative route.

I suggest: go Copenhagen and visit Christiania, an anarchist freestate with an open air weed market. It's expensive though, but it's worth it. Last time I was there the percentage of girls in a club was like 70%. You don't see that a lot.

After that you could find your way to Norway, the most beautiful country I've ever seen, a lot of wildlife too. Very expensive, BUT you can wildcamp anywhere, so if you have a tent and cook yourself you save money you'd otherwhise be spending in youth hostels. In the summer there are a lot of tourist with RV's going from one destination to another. You could hitch hike from one point of interest to another and put up a camp. Or you could take buses and trains. But if you're with six persons ... hitch hiking won' tbe possible.

Oktoberfest sounds very boring: mass events with beer, I'll pass.

Haven't been there but the following cities are on my to do list and look fantastic: Prague , Vienna and Talinn (Estonia). Talinn has a huuuuge historical centre, looks like a fucking huge castle from far cos of the big city walls. Vienna is a bit expensive to get in, but you can take a plane to Bratislava, which is one of the cheapest fly destinations. There is a 9 euro bus to Vienna, afterwards you could take a train to Boekarest, which is also very close and have again a cheaper plane or bus.

Beautiful nature and cheapness is to be found in: Albania, Slovenia, Montenegro, Croatia ... All Balkan with other words. Albania is very beautiful and has very hostile people. Video of Albania:

You can go to all countries which are broke right now: Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece, Ireland and Iceland. They are cheaper now and you'd help local economy. Iceland is very expensive, but I've heard it's better now. You can easily hitch hike. I once picked up a very beautiful Swedish girl in the middle of a stone desert, wtf. The girls are very wild there and easily will wanna party. Oh, you have a gf, i forgot. (they also are in Spain and Czech Republic btw)

Krakow (Poland) is very cool and cheap and has a lot of nightlife, also some beautiful girls.

www.eurolines.com => cheap buses, I use them. No promotions during high season though.

www.ryanair.com => you could just fly depending on the promotions, low cost company. You can rent a car through hertz, afilliation program with them, you can already have a car at 7 euro a day in Spain and 20 euro a day in Italy. that's nothing divided by six persons.

www.wizzair.com flies to Prague and other E-european destinations, low budget airline.

www.jetairfly.com is another low budget one.

www.couchsurfing.com lets you find people who offer a free place to crash. You'de have to divide your group, though.

Europe is easy to hitch hike. Be sure to always see if you have reduction as student or because you're under 26.

Drug laws are the most tolerant in Portugal, Spain, Czech Republic. Be careful in Germany, France, UK, Italy, Poland and Scandinavia

• Like 1

Very jealous. I saw a little bit of Europe about 5 years ago and loved most of it. Really want to get to Outlook festival one year.

Italy (Rome) is a must see. Beautiful historical buildings and pretty cheap. Fantastic food too.

Estononia has some of the most stunning women I have ever seen.

Croatia is quite expensive but it is pretty fun to island hop your way down the coast.

UK is pretty boring IMO compared to the rest of Europe.

If you in the area you should get to Lake Bled is Slovenia.

Heard great things about Berlin and Barcelona.

My advice is to go wandering around wherever you are staying. You will come across things you would never see on a tour.

Trust your instincts. If something doesn't seem right then it probably isn't!!

Yeah, avoid UK, I don't care about London. I also have heard good things about Berlin, many underground music genres are played for bigger crowds there in clubs.

Slovenia is reaaaaaaaaaaaally nice, I also had a vacation girlfriend there :). I hitch-hiked there when I was 18, people are very friendly and you can easily camp in their gardens or sleep in a garage and they will give you food.

Barcelona is just magical :). Especially after reading the shadow of the wind from Carlos Ruiz Zafon.