The Corroboree
myco

a sign from the gods

so after recently checking my local area constantly for some photos of P. Subaeruginosa

and even making a detour and a couple of stops in the newly dubbed blue triangle :)

while on my way back from the other side of the triangle

now im not really a spiritual person or believe in gods and things but this was kinda strange

wat can i say i asked for a sign and i got it :)

with no luck so far today i again checked a special little place after not being able to see anything

i began to worry about all my hard work and say in my head as i leant over come on show me something i need a sign that all my work is worth it i looked and this little guy was right there in front of me

is it a sign? :) haha

gallery_7473_434_131426.jpg

• Like 2

I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet as it's hard to tell what it is right now. It could very well be Leratiomyces ceres or Galerina marginata.

its a sub trust me nothing else grows in this spot :)

Edited by myco

i thought stroph too, looks too orange

well lets just hope nothing munches it and you will see :)

You saw it with your own eyes, so I am willing to accept the the photo maybe representing the colour poorly, but...that's stropharia aurantiaca!

well i was just happy to see this little guy there wether it survived beyond this i wasnt really worried about

now i really really hope this little guy survives

just to prove you all wrong :)

Yep. Leratiomyces ceres/Stropharia aurantiaca for sure. They often grow along with subs and the fact that they weren't there last year, doesn't mean that they can't pop up this year.

Man, I wish it'd rain a bit. So dry these last couple of weeks. The sub mycelium of NSW is crying out for moisture!

• Like 1

Had a thourough hunt in THE forest on tues and wed.

Yeah it needs rain,

I was lucky to get a little bit of a skull full.

post-337-0-76483000-1336650110_thumb.jpg

There were lots of patches of these lookalikes to get excited over

what are these little buggers dear panel of experts

There was no blueing on any ov em

At one point I had a meditation in a fairy ring ov them.

post-337-0-21816600-1336650222_thumb.jpg

i bet that is a sub, why is everyone dismissing it as one???

im sure myco can tell just by the feel of it.

• Like 1

all good BT they can doubt all they like i know what it is :) haha

i just hope the poor little guy doesnt get munched before it gets a chance to grow

these guys have made me determined to prove them wrong :)

i feel like going and putting some kind of barrier around it to keep the slugs away haha

good idea BT

hhhmmm i wonder if i have any copper around :scratchhead:

might have to check wouldnt surprise me if there some layin around here somewhere

i bet that is a sub, why is everyone dismissing it as one???

Because it's a stroph :P

all good BT they can doubt all they like i know what it is :) haha

Care to make it interesting?

Because it's a stroph :P

No, its a WA sub :P

i dont think ive ever come across a stroph in sub country

EDIT: go bruise it Myco

Edited by Bush Turkey

Yeah it needs rain,

They look like psilocybes to me, but it's impossible to say for sure from that pic, especially with no description of gills/sporprint etc. Lack of bluing doesn't mean they're not psilocybes.

Edited by ballzac

yeh i have to agree there BT

strophs are not at all common around here i dont think i've seen one

i know i wanna just go pick the fuckin thing just to bruise it and show its blueing

but its so tiny

wat the fuck ballzac your gonna say they are subs in that tiny little ass pic

and your gonna immediately dismiss my pic

HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHA

ok dude watever you say

clearly you know what your talking about

Yeah it needs rain,

Damn, I saw your post on FB and was hoping you would have had more success than that; I really wanted to squeeze in one last looksee before the forest closes up for business. Ah well, at least you got a few. Were there any milk caps still around mate?

Hey explorer, are you a villager ? Please PM me your Identity. There are a few Lactarious around, not mant Amanita.Those things looked and felt ,and smelt like subs, brown gills. I was pretty bent at the time.......it was 7am so I just grabbed a bunch. But I think they are all imposters. Could somebody ID these things,not the slightest trace of blueing after 24hrs.

post-337-0-72373900-1336689443_thumb.jpg

Shame it would be a good party

post-337-0-59834500-1336689486_thumb.jpg

I thought at the time it was a MASSIVE SIGN FROM THE GODS now I am thinking the gods are telling me........ "col in life things are not always what they seem,you may think you see the signs, always do your homework,and just be sure before you go charging in."

So now I am going to feed them to my Caapi as fertaliser

Edited by colhawk

ok dude watever you say

clearly you know what your talking about

Not sure if you're serious :S I'm just joking around. Of course I can't really tell from a single pic of a pin. That doesn't mean I'm not skeptical, but I didn't mean to piss you off. I thought my assertions would be taken mostly in jest. I've never been in WA, so for all I know subs are a bit redder there and strophs don't grow. Having said that, if you've never seen a stropharia before, then how can you be so sure this isn't one? They are very similar to subs in every way except for colour. I'm very familiar with stropharia aurantiaca. They grow in patches here where you have maybe 100 per square metre and, given enough area of the right substrate, this can go on for hundreds of square metres. I have seen them in every stage of development. To me, this looks like one.

One thing i have noticed, is that some pathces go through a funal succession. they go crazy for a year or two, but then diminish, giving way to other species. Of course if the spot is being constantly supplied with new layers of mulch, then this is not as likely, as the the substate is being renewed.

I know you really want it to be what you want, but you have to accept that a patch changes. just because they have been there in the past doesnt mean they will always be there.

Cheers, Ob.

Further to ballzac's post. Leratiomyces ceres syn. Stropharia aurantiaca syn. Hypholoma aurantiaca (bloody taxonomists!!! :wacko:) Inhabit the exact same substrate and habitat that subs like to grow in. Patches of subs can have strophs very close nearby and one needs to be very watchful of what is being picked. They do look very similar, especially when the strophs have dried off a bit and lose their red colour to some degree. I tend to see more strophs per capita than subs, but if you are seeing lots of strophs, then there is a good chance that subs are nearby.

These comments of mine would be more applicable to mulch beds rather than wild habitats though, which is important to note.

Looks like Leratiomyces ceres to me too, but nothing is set in stone when trying to ID pins :wink: pics in a few days should settle the matter.

Edited by tonic

A lot of people seem to be focused on the cap colour, but from my experience with a related woodlover species I have seen that sort of colouration, to my eye it is not red or orange but a dark caramel.

Looking at the stem it looks very psilo to me & not at all stroph.

I will put a foot of Eileen on it Zac...

I do'nt think anyone is being meanspirited here but can understand you being frustrated myco, just chill man & take better pics when its ready & in any event humble pie does'nt taste that bad especialy when its shared :P

• Like 1

I will put a foot of Eileen on it Zac...

Would three small penis pups and ten grams of Peganum Harmala be a fair wager against a foot of Eileen do you reckon? Obviously if it gets eaten or we are unable to identify it accurately for some other reason, then all bets are off.

I'll take your dicks :lol:

Agreed no evidence & the wagers squashed.