The Corroboree
niggles

Croc eats nine pet dogs - NT

665431-croc.jpg

This is the pet-eating crocodile rangers pulled from the Daly River. Picture: NT PARKS AND WILDLIFE SERVICE Source: Northern Territory News

A ROGUE crocodile with a taste for pet dogs has been hauled from a remote river bank after terrorising children.

The 4.43m beast was trapped at Daly River community, 225km south of Darwin, the Northern Territory News reports. One man saw the "big black" croc under a mango tree in his backyard one night last week.

Community police officer Mark Casey said the station had nine reports of dogs being taken in a month.

"Crocs are an ever-present danger but you don't see them," he said.

"They can sit for days on end on the other side of the river and watch you go fishing off the same log or rock - that's how they hunt.

"Next thing you know, bang, the dog's gone.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/giant-rogue-croc-eats-nine-pet-dogs/story-e6frfkvr-1226346738609#ixzz1tsAk1DPf

Brutal.

Saw an ABC doco on how the croc population up north is starting to grow, also due to destruction of territory crocs are moving in to more densely human populated areas, so we can probably expect a lot more stories like this.

my goodness! I did NOT hear about that.

Dogs eating people, thats pretty wild.

circle of life,

crocs eat dogs- dogs eat drunks- drunks eat mc fillet of fish (aka crocs)

• Like 1

Crocs are awesome, they should be left alone! What a great way to keep the number of feral animals down (humans included)!!

I worked as a Park Ranger in the top end for a few years and got to pull a few of these babies out of the water. Mostly just removing them from traps but I did help pull a harpooned 2m croc into the boat in the dark once. Good fun.

The biggest croc I helped remove was 4.2 m long and took up the entire length of the trap. I got quite a fright when I pulled the heshin shade of the top of the trap to check what was in it and saw the massive snout of the monster. I couldn't back off the floating trap fast enough.

I had a dog once who was eaten by a croc. He loved the water and I encouraged it as I then lived in central Australia. Bush work took me and my dog to the top end and I managed him by alternating tying him and my brothers dog up in the camp. If one was tied the other would stick around. We were camped on the bank of deep dark murky river that was habitated by crocodiles. Anyway my old man was my boss at the time and as he was in the camp most of the day he was looking after the dogs. I asked him not to let them both off the lead but one day he did and my dog never came back. the other dog came racing into camp and broke into my dads caravan shivering and shaking, completely terrified so we new he had been eaten and didn't even bother looking for him. He still has a little concrete headstone along the river bank.

Anyway back where I lived in central Australia there was an old man who lived in an old shack in a mining lease literally a couple of hundred metres from where I worked at my dads yard. Admittedly I never meet or even laid eyes on this old hermit as he would only ever go into town to the shops once a fortnight to buy supplies. I was told that he would go off and give everyone the shits. He had about 20 dogs living with him in his shack. One day he died, the dogs got hungry and police found his skull in the front yard.

• Like 2

maybe the dogs got hungry and then he died.

dogs are full on. this species which was so malleable and so useful to humankind, which we call our best friend, is basically a chilled-out wolf. escaped dogs forming a pack and roaming around like wolves is a scary thought.

• Like 1

Too true Thunder.

I read recently that remote aboriginal communities are going to ban construction contractors from bring their dogs onto communities. This is to prevent massive hunting dogs from breeding with the camp dogs leaving behind a litter of massive hunting camp dogs that start wrecking shit up.

Which reminds me. My dog was a huge hunting dog that would always get into trouble when I wasn't around. one day I caught him fighting with a big dog over near where the old hermit lived. The dog was much bigger then the rest of the surrounding 10 or so dogs and looked near identical to my dog. Maybe my dogs puppies ate the Hermit. Fuck me I hope not!!!

I don't feel so bad about Incognito's canine caninechioces now.

Crocs-Shoes-For-Daily-Activities.jpg
  • Like 2

I hate those shoes

I think everyone does. Except that there are some people who love seeing other people disgusted, even more than they dislike wearing crappy shoes.

• Like 2

you know you can get cute little plastic emblems to stick on ya croc's nowa days? LOL.

wtf? dogs eating people? eew