The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
toast

DMT Spirit Molecule movie

Friday @ 7.30pm

Hope to meet some new people there :)

See if you can meet the producer Mitch. I don't know whether he is in the country though. He is a legend.

Where? I might join you.

Newcastle HHH

Ah, im not driving to Newcastle. Maybe I should convince a certain store-owning SAB'er to screen it on one of his film nights.

You know who you are !

We all know who he is but does he want a pack of turban wearing rebels crowding out his bookshop.

:lol:

• Like 2

We don't all know :( I'm new here

Might send a mate along to the one at HHH though. She needs a bit of truth in her life :)

I'll probably head down there. Hope to see/meet some of you down there :)

this has probably been covered in another thread, but did anybody else think that this doco (which i only saw recently) ruined itself by including baseless claims, in a similar vein to 'down the rabbit hole'? i guess the word is cheapening.

I liked the doco got it sometime last year and it was a good watch

Some interesting thoughts on the subject

For a doco that was basically just made up of people talking and trippy visual stuff haha

It certainly sucked me in normally this kind of doco would begin to bore me pretty quick

But I couldn't stop watching it :)

Wow. It seems every thread I open lately refers to me. I must feature large in your lives...

Anyway, I like the thought and I might actually take Psylo up on his idea of screening this movie at my shop. And Sally: I don't mind turbaned rebels in my shop at all. (Are you thinking of reptyle specifically? I hope he comes. That would be grand. We can have a doodle painting workshop during the intermission.) I'll talk to my missus and we'll try to work something out. I'll post the details on the forum.

It's an ok movie but I agree that it's a bit popular in its pitch. It's weird to have chosen that wrestling commentator guy as the narrator, I think, no matter how enthusiastic he is about DMT.

when you say this "It's an ok movie but I agree that it's a bit popular in its pitch. It's weird to have chosen that wrestling commentator guy as the narrator, I think, no matter how enthusiastic he is about DMT." marcel, i think that it is a good thing as it is more accessible to a wider audience, especially with joe rogan as narrator (MMA commentator, completely different to fake wrestling). i think that anything that can influence a wider audience in a positive way when it comes to "drugs" is helping the cause of changing the deluded public perception.

Joe rogan is on a few docos about pot and stuff

I think they like to use him as He is a fairly well known celebrity who's been on a lot of things hosting fear factor and shit like that

And clearly has an open mind about substances and wants to help get these views out to the public more

As chnt said it helps to make it appeal to wider audience by featuring someone like Joe rogan

who especially in America is probably a household name as they say everyone knows who he is

when you say this "It's an ok movie but I agree that it's a bit popular in its pitch. It's weird to have chosen that wrestling commentator guy as the narrator, I think, no matter how enthusiastic he is about DMT." marcel, i think that it is a good thing as it is more accessible to a wider audience, especially with joe rogan as narrator (MMA commentator, completely different to fake wrestling). i think that anything that can influence a wider audience in a positive way when it comes to "drugs" is helping the cause of changing the deluded public perception.

While the MMA crowd may be a larger demographic than the general psychedelic crowd, I wouldn't say that using Rogan reaches the general public exactly. I don't know and I don't have anything against the guy, but it seems like a sport fighting celebrity is an odd choice. Why not a doctor, if we're after public respectability? Or a stern middle aged woman? Or a chubby, balding lawyer type? Even a bespectacled hipster would be a bit more marketable (not to mention more representative of the actual DMT community). If anything, I imagine most people who aren't white males under the age of 25 would be put off by the MMA connection, assuming they know who he is.

you may a fair point, but rogan is still a well known entity with a large following, and it's not only under 25's who follow MMA, there is a massive following of all ages, male and female, though predominately younger males... but if you want to explore this aspect, i think influencing the young is much more important than trying to change the ways of the old, i'm sure you can imagine why.

why choose him? as i said he has a very large following, not only that, he is open about his substance use and being a psychonaut. i cant think of a living person who is a known and open psychonaut that has a bigger following than him and/or is willing to appear on such a doco... i also dont see his position as an MMA enthusiast and commentator as an odd combo in relation to psychedelics and appearing on this doco, one can draw many parallels between the self discipline and growth of a martial artist, especially one who partakes in combat, and that of a psychonaut or a user of psychedelics.

....... for instance, one of the people making 'what the bleep' type statements, moments after people like dennis mckenna, without so much as a warning that they may be talking out of their bottom, said "dmt is in all living things", which i don't think is true. might be, given it's similarity to tryptophan, but i had never heard it before. he then goes on to make an outrageous statement about the ramification of dmt being in all living things.

why?

it alienates the viewers who are not mystically-inclined. i AM mystically inclined, and i found some of it offensive to my intelligence. the speakers seemed narrow minded to be putting their stamp of explanation on dmt like that. what the fuck do they know? have the decency to label pure opinion as such.

Wow. It seems every thread I open lately refers to me. I must feature large in your lives...

We cannot stop thinking of you, because you're such a dreamboat.

Anyway, I like the thought and I might actually take Psylo up on his idea of screening this movie at my shop.

For those unaware, Marcel owns a kebab & pide shop. He also serves a mean fattoush.

Now, as for Joe Rogan. I have heard him speak, and apparently he was in some pathetic TV show, the kind that makes contestants eat worms, lick llama balls & pash Joan Rivers. I'm sure he is better known for that program than commentator for the cage fighting tournaments, or whatever you call it. Either way, does anyone really want either fanbase to be turning on to DMT?

On the other hand, he is a passionate spokesperson. He comes across as a guy that everyone feels they can relate to when he speaks. A stuffy old doctor is going to isolate audiences. A chunky menopausal housewife will capture nobody's attention. The key to choosing JR's may actually lie in the book's delivery.

I'm presently reading the StrASSman book, and it surprises me that it's written for the common person, and is in no way scientific in presentation. While I am personally disappointed (anticipating something more academic), I can see the value in the style & form of the book just as it is. Accessibility to a wider audience is the key here.

That said, if the movie is a representation of the book's form, then Joe Rogan would be ideal as the commentator. Usage of Entheogens is not and should not, be exclusively in the hands of the academics & the elite (as Huxley argued for with LSD).

Good points TEAM CHNT/PSYLO.

I'll admit, with a trickle of shame, that he seemed more-or-less fine to me until my friend, with whom I went to the Sydney DMT premiere, leaned over towards me and said "He's a wrestling commentator."

I think my response was something like "Pfft."

Without a doubt, I am the most arrogant snob of a kebab-monger this side of Medina.

s'all good marcel, if you know anything about me then you know that i am an A-class pretentious art wanker.

love you bro

• Like 1

If this is based on that utterly terrible book of the same name expect to learn nothing.

I'll admit, with a trickle of shame, that he seemed more-or-less fine to me until my friend, with whom I went to the Sydney DMT premiere, leaned over towards me and said "He's a wrestling commentator."

I think my response was something like "Pfft."

It cannot be denied that MMA & DMT make strange bedfellows, and your early judgement of Joe Rogan is warranted with no further information to hand. I too would have made the same dismissal had I not heard some of JR's spoken word material before knowing about his MMA & terrible TV show associations.

Then again the associations might not be as ludicrous as they first appear. If we set aside the 'brutality as entertainment' model of televised MMA, and observe the movement of martial arts as whole, the disciplined practice of many codes serves the student not only with an ability to defend himself, but also as a tool for spiritual development. Even the most gentle of laymen are familiar with Tai Chi Chuan, (rough translation "Supreme Fist") a martial art no more or less than other codes. To the outside observer, Tai Chi Chuan appears to be all about spiritual practice, rather than to knock someone's block off. Nonetheless, the origns, and the movements in the practise, are a form of self defense.

Joe Rogan was/is not simply a presenter for the televised UFC MMA circus that was pulled in by TV producers for his commentary ability, but an awarded practitioner of Tae Kwon Do & Ju-Jitzu. For JR, DMT may well be the logical extension of a spiritual path that he has been pursuing for 20 years. The regular themes of DMT (and marijuana reform) appear often in JR's spoken word/comedy routine, and he has appeared in other documetaries as a promoter of substance usage for heath & enlightenment. He installed a flotation tank in his house to assist his journeys, and he has marked his skin for life with a stylised molecular structure. Overall, this guy is dedicated.

It's impossible for me to believe that your typical fan of the UFC MMA circus will find DMT appealing, and I'm certain that the choice of JR to narrate DMT: Spirit Molecule was not intended to win over this sector of society. It is more likely that he has been seen & heard by the producers as a low-level celebrity who finds comfort in his commitment to the subject, and holds a passion for the Dimethyltryptamine-as-sacrament rarely found in other media personalities.

It should be stated that I am not a 'fan' of JR as such, and these words are merely musings & speculation borne from thinking about this topic earlier today. Equally, I have no interest in the UFC MMA circus whatsoever. I have not seen the movie (I will wait until Marcel screens it) and I am indifferent to the Strassman book, of which I'm about 1/3 of the way in. But I am increasingly convined that Joe Rogan is an excellent choice for the film. His dedication cannot be questioned.

joe-rogan-tat.jpg

• Like 1

He's got gorgeous tits.

• Like 1