The Corroboree
planthelper

diy chilli sauce

some birds planted a birds eye chilli plant at my place.

post-70-0-80123900-1335664555_thumb.jpg

so i picked some, and used the food procesor on them, than boiled them for a while...

i did it outdoors, so to avoid an anaphylactic shock, hehehe.

post-70-0-58887300-1335664703_thumb.jpg

finished product, filled into semi sterile recycled glass jar.

post-70-0-37114800-1335664802_thumb.jpg

materials:

chilli, vinegar, pinch of salt, some water.

tools:

blender, stove pot, sieve.

by pouring the boiled material thru the sieve, i remove all seeds, and manage to get the "puree".

hint, you use a spoon to squash the material thru the sieve, to get the puree.

never let any of this material get in contact with your eyes or genitals or mouth.

clean everything right away, avoid spills.

SAM_0997_Converted_Converted.JPG

SAM_1000_Converted.JPG

SAM_1002_Converted_Converted.JPG

SAM_0997_Converted_Converted.JPG

SAM_1000_Converted.JPG

SAM_1002_Converted_Converted.JPG

• Like 1

Looks very nice mate, I will get my recipe that I use... Mine is a bit more of a chutney type thing I guess, Just has other things like onion and home grown cherry tomato ect..

Thanks for shairing mate :)

I tend to chop my chillis before I process them - the seeds and pith (white bit) add heat but not flavour. Doing it outside is a v. good idea. I have pepper sprayed myself so many times!!

I used to sell chilli sauce commercially processing Habanero was fucking Evil. We were using Butch t's before anyone had heard of them.

DSCF4840.jpg

I used to wear full breathing apparatus shit. lol

We even did chilli wing eating comps at pubs

• Like 1

Are you the MC stillman ? lol @ Old Man Stillman

nah not the MC he is a good mate of mine though, but I'm floating around in the Vid, although that was a few years ago so I look a bit different these days.

There will be some processing of habanero sauce this afternoon at my place. We like to use a base of roasted capsicum, and caramilised red onions, lime juice and of course habs.

Nice work.

I boiled then steeped a heap of dorset nagas with some habaneros and Ned Kellys (hot Bunnings variety) with garlic, dead sea salt, pepper, dried ginger, onion and a tin of tomatoes in cheap white wine vinegar, then blended.

Didn't bother straining.

IMO Tastes as good as tabasco but much hotter - gotta love the dorsets :devil:

I mainly used frozen fruit, triple bagged until used.

Just had to wait until I had the house to my self, as no one else can breathe when I cook them up

I enjoy the aroma's of burning spirits that come from the chilli's :) I am a weirdo :)

Nice one. Just did a cook up this arvo actually!

My recipe goes:

Chop a shopping bag of scorpions and jolokias in a turbochef (or whatever tickles your chilli-bone)

Chop 3 onions

Put in saucepan and add 7 - 9 chopped tomatoes

Add vinegar (no measurent, just follow your instinct)

Mixed herbs, garlic, salt and pepper (all to you own taste)

Bring to boil then simmer for 20 mins

put in a blender and blend to smooth puree (Don"t strain its just a waste).

Funnel into bottles, cool and refridgerate.

enjoy :)

I agree with PlantHelper, strain, and maybe strain again :) just me though.

Psylo's Tip of the day: Strain your sauce, reserve the pulp and smoosh into ice trays for freezing. once hrd, transfer to a sandwich baggie for cold storage. You then have a handy fresh(ish) chilli supply when cooking foods that require a kick.

• Like 1

i like some chilli seeds, in my sauce normaly, but some strains are just too hot, to leave the seeds "in".

i did it all very fast, but with lot's of joy, nevertheless.

don't smell out you kitchen with it, it's full on stuff.

• Like 2

i like some chilli seeds, in my sauce normaly, but some strains are just too hot, to leave the seeds "in".

i did it all very fast, but with lot's of joy, nevertheless.

don't smell out you kitchen with it, it's full on stuff.

and don't EVER use a plastic blender if the sauce is still warm or hot!

I did this once in my early attempts and the lid blew right off the blender. Lucky for me, I suffered only minimal chilli burn to my arms and face, as the mixture had been cooling for (what I thought) was a reasonable period of time!

Since buying a glass blender I have had no issues and am able to blend the sauce straight off the stove.

Opti, do you want to do a swap ? We bottle ours in the little nandos bottles, happy to exchange if you are.

a sauce swap you say? what an idea! yeah would be happy to do that, I have some bottled in a 'ye old' west coast cooler bottle I could send your way if you like.

May have to wait till my next pay day to pay for postage though! My partner tends to put the kiddies before my strange hobbies for some wierd reason... :wink:

west coast cooler?!?Recycling from the 1980's, legend.

That was a tasty drop if I remember. :puke:

Bahaha!

I don't drink it. My partner does cos it's low on alcohol. It's been replaced by a better drop in this bottle anyway....And there is no icon for a fiery arse so your icon wins.

Anyway...

Another option is that I could send you some of my most potent sundried flakes and you could do what you will with them..

That way you get to bypass the 80's bottle, flavour to your liking and keep some aside for an evil party trick.

And I could post asap.

If I were you I would subscribe to your local milk company with the view to commence the necessary lining of you stomach.

PM me with your details and I will begin to package them for you...

the next thing probably is against the law, but i'v never done it anyway...

imagen, you are in a situation where you have to defend youreselfe and you draw a water pistol filled with chilli.

or a nothern territory new paper headline, "home invader fought off, with diy chilli sauce", hehehe.

i haven't done chilli sauce often, but one time i kept a small jar for a while, and it fermented a bit and this is said to make the souce even better.

chilli fruit produced during a drought, or with little water are always hotter than, fruits grown without stress.

but total stress, would probably lead to infirior fruit.

eating chilli, makes me happy! :)

haha, It sounds like they started making WCC again. I thought you might have had an original bottle stash. Don't worry about the chilli flakes, I just thought some artisan swap-meet action could be a go-er. a 375nL bottle is too expensive to post and not worth your while.

I bottled the batch this evening. Nine bottles in total, should last me three months.

This recipe (quantities are a trade secret, and I shall never tell) included:

Oven-roasted capsicum

Caramalised onion

Roasted Ginger

Garlic

Whole peppercorns, dry-fried then crushed

Lemon

Sea Salt

Habaneros from my garden

Disclaimer: My partner made this batch, not me this time.

post-8419-0-99495000-1335780993_thumb.jp

post-8419-0-99495000-1335780993_thumb.jpg

post-8419-0-99495000-1335780993_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice!

Sounds like a lot of thought and practice has gone into your recipe.

Nice looking habs, do you grow in pots or in the ground?

Interesting that you don't use vinegar, I always thought I needed to to preserve longer. I will have to try it without next batch.

acidification is required for increasing shelf life but Psylo is using Lemon here as long as the ph is 4 or under it will keep for some time.

Opti, these are grown in the ground. Theyre onto their final flush now, and were very good fruiters throughout the season.Zero fertilisation, I hate to think what would have happened if I pumped them up !

Stillman our chilliman is spot on. Lemon used as the acid instead of vinegar. I find it compliments the roasty flavours & the fritiness of the habs perfectly in this sauce. I sometimes use lime as well.

I never actually thought about measuring/calculating the pH, and actually we store the bottles in the freezer until we need a freshy, so no single bottle ever sits around for more than 3 weeks.