The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
NordicRituals

syrian rue, anyone?

You're not trying hard enough! He he he he he he. Just kidding.

I've got the same problem; this year could be better tho'. Two leaves out and powerin' for the sky (in a very unique, harmalic fashion- read 'frustratingly slow and timid').

I have had many failiures in the past.....

But suddenly they started growing...

I have them growing in good soil mix....

I think the biggest problem with harmala is that the are not sown deep enough.....that's when they grow rapidly in the beginning...then suddenly as the have come up they will bend and fall down.

When the seeds sown are deep enough....they are less likely to have that problem...

+ they don't like transplanting.....sow'em where you want'em to grow!

Free E

Yeah, I just strew my seeds on the soil last year (following the "advice" of a book I'd just read- I think it was Jim deKorn).

This year's I planted a few mm down, and they're a lot stronger, but I'm still a bit worried about them.

supposedly seeds will sprout from a depth of up to 3cm but around 0.5cm is best..

I found some journal articles on cultivation of desert species which mention Peganum harmala. One was on germination. Germination was best at higher temperatures ie 35C + and worked better when there was a low variation in temperature during the day. So probably the middle of summer, with nice warm summer evenings.

Be careful with bottom heat. It can be an illusion if you don't know the temperature of the actual soil. Also starting them off too early in the year could be upsetting for the young specimens when they are eventually cast out into the cold night air.

The other article I came accross was on mycorrhizal associations in desert plants. Apparantly syrian rue forms an ectomycorrhizal association which may explain slow growth rates.

I think the death and rebirth of Jesus Christ was actually a metaphor for the ability of peganum harmala to rise "from the dead" after losing all its leaves during the winter months. It matches up with the geographical distribution of the plant and its potential to be used as a sacrament.

If anyone's interested I could find the names of those articles.