The Corroboree
Stillman

Messing around with grafts a few photos

For the last 4 or 5 months I have played around with grafting absolutely love it, I have had some failures and some success, thought I would post some of the better ones.

T terscheschkii on T spachianus

DSCF2016-1.jpg

TBM on T spachianus and Cerues sp The spach graft is starting to pump both are 2 months old.

DSCF2018-2.jpg

T pachanoi on T spachianus 2 month old graft. The pach had serous spider mite damage when I got it and was a shitty yellow colour so I grafted it to see if it would kick and as you can see by the colour its getting better all the time.

DSCF2017-1.jpg

Cereus monstrose graft on Echinopsis barrel (Hamiltons hybrid) 4 months old graft. I bought this monstrose on Ebay and it didn't seem to want to grow so I took a 2 cm cutting and grafted it to the little Echinopsis not expecting much but it has gone nuts.

DSCF2022.jpg

I was lucky enough to get some T bridgesii J3 seeds from PD, they germinated 15th of February. I grafted one to Pereskiopsis soon after its doing well.

DSCF2035.jpg

Edited by Stillman
  • Like 6

I just noticed the TBM photo you can't see the graft on the Cereus behind lol. Its not very impressive anyway.

Man I'm to chicken shit to start yet, I dont have the seedlings/pups to play around with yet.... I better get some seed down actualy have a try at some pereskiopsis grafting when I find some. Was the T bridgesii J3 seedling's that you used for the graft the same ones in the take away container? If so that is impressive growth!!

I wanna see someone's freak graft lol, I'm not even sure what a 'freak graft' would be but would like to see one :P

RF

seedlings and the graft are one and the same, the growth is amazing, but it isn't always that fast, I must have just really lined the vascular bundles up frigging well lol.

Edited by Stillman

I can't wait to start grafting some turbincarpus and lophs.. shall be interesting. Loph's look so funny on the end of pereskiopsis

hey man this terscheckii is awesome . how long did yousay? :blink:was this 5 months from seed? how old was it when grafted?

and Rumple, its way easier to start playing with grafts with some random clumping cactus with lots of heads. Go get some from a nursery , some with convinient spines. you can even go to a big profit nursary and steal some pups for you to graft. :innocent_n:

same with stocks, some propagate very fast and easy, like pereskiopsis and selinicereus.

only limitation is imagination, and oh, yeah, it must be a Cactacea

• Like 1

the tersch I bought from Hamiltons nursery stock its grown about 3 cm in a couple months I think the join was really good I'm hoping for some superman growth. lol

Going to go to bunnings tomoro and see what I can find :)

Yes rumple i believe you are seeing the reason everyone grafts in this thread.......extreme growth over their non-grafted counterparts....not to mention, fussy cacti then become easy to maintain, and greatly reduces the chances of death/rot in variegated, crested or monstrose varieties.

Plenty of dragon fruit and selenicereus floating round at bunnings......its what they get their Gymnocalycium mihanovichii variegated grafts (the red, yellow and purple buttons on green sticks).....they sell em for like 50c or a dollar once the lose their grafts, so keep an eye out on the banged up plant rack at your local.

EDIT: Is awsome stock for you too start with, as peres is usually reserved for very young cacti (seedling usually), and can be used with seedlings as small as 1mm and only a couple fo days old....the dragon fruit (hyclocereus) and selenicereus make for better stock for small offsets off already mature scions/cacti.

Edited by 2Deep2Handle
  • Like 1

I was never sure if it was the Hyclocereus that was the dragonfruit. That's twice you have helped my bunnings excursion already today 2deep :P

Cheers bud

RF

excuse me, do you use some paste to graft or do you just put the cuttings over each other?

The peres grafts I just push them together and put them in a humidity tub and they grow together. Larger grafts I hold them together with rubber bands or pieces of stocking to maintain downward pressure. I think some people use glue but I haven't bothered I find larger scions pretty easy to keen in place and little scions and peres have there own "stickiness"

peres is so easy guys......i only started last year, and i have grafted over 50 peres grafts since October and only 2 have failed so far....i had 2 cracks at grafting before playing with peres.. 1 decent loph offset onto bridgesii 'TIM', then when it failed i put a penis on it instead that worked and now have a monstrosity i call "Tims Penis ".

• Like 2

2 deep what sort of blades do you use? I was using Gem blades and I think they weren't sharp enough had a couple failures then changed blades and it rocked and rolled.

honestly after my first attempt, which was a failure with a knife, ive never used any BUT a razor blade(just the blade too, never in a utility knife)...just make sure its new and not rusty. I basically use/go through one every 2-3 grafting sessions, and i actually add a little butter to the actual blade part when im finished, and wipe it off next time i use, as it acts as a great rust inhibitor.

*NOTE the thing with peres is the scions used are generally VERY small, young and easy to 'crush', to the MAJOR thing is to ensure you "DRAG or SLIDE" and NOT "PUSH or CRUSH" the blade through the scion. I slowly slide from one side of the blade through until i feel it very slightly cutting into my finger.

I have ALWAYS sterilized my tools, and attribute the 3 failures to the hygiene of the environment or tools, as i have had the same species that failed, also succeed.

I clean the blade, cut the peres, then cut a tiny piece to sit on top without cleaning in between, then clean, then cut scion, remove top piece of pereskopsis, sit scion off-centered on top and apply minimal downward pressure whilst making the union.

Ive never used iso-propyl alcohol(rubbing alcohol), but have heard it is the best.

I just use acetone, or vodka when i don't have any, and i ran out recently even of vodka, so i actually used raspberry vodka with great success too.....

Just remember to dry your blade after cleaning with a clean piece of tissue/toilet paper, so the cleaning agent doesn't dehydrate your stock/scion as you make the cut.

now have a monstrosity i call "Tims Penis ".

Any pic's of Tim's Penis? :P

that's a nice note to remember

blade for seedlings.

in fact, I use plain knives and maybe some times a special extra slim & I dont disinfect

maybe that's why I haven't got the best rates some times, especially seedlings

Thought I would put an update of the growth of some of these grafts. Its Winter here officially so I'm guessing everything will start to slow down for a couple months but have seen some good growth with most things.

Terscheschkii on spach has put on some weight.

DSCF2270.jpg

pachanoi graft on spach is growing nicely the other half succumbed to the disease so glad I grafted it.

DSCF2240-1.jpg

TBM on spach has thrown a pup

DSCF2248.jpg

Cereus monstrose keeps powering on.

DSCF2259.jpg

Astrophytum on spach looking good has grown quite a bit.

DSCF2257.jpg

And my J3 op seedling on peres is looking shit hot. I called this a bridgesii above but I believe the are actually peruvianoid.

DSCF2272.jpg

DSCF2273-1.jpg

This is a cool little mamarilla or rebutia that has gone well on peres

DSCF2246.jpg

and some other stuff I am growing

Desert rose seedlings

DSCF2256.jpg

A augustafolia hybrid for pulchae or mescal

DSCF2254.jpg

• Like 5

Looking great Stillman

How big was that Astrophytum when you grafted it ?

Cheers

Got

probably the size of a 20cm piece in radius the more I think about it that ones done real well.

very nice thread on grafting, very well done man!!!

Wow damn I can't believe this xD

I didn't know you can graft Echeveria with cacti o.o

Teh grafts look weird but great~

Good Great Awesome work bro~

I didn't know you can graft Echeveria with cacti

What? Where? You can't graft cacti to succulents and vice versa.

Edited by tonic

Ryan tonics right ,you can't graft "true" succulents to cacti, which photo did you think was echeveria?

I suspect he might mean the Pereskiopsis. Though only he can tell us that :wink:

• Like 1