The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Darklight

Smilax australis?

Anyone here got any phytochem data or instances of traditional indigenous uses for Smilax australis? Also known as wait-a-while, barbed wire vine, or Australian sarsparilla vine?

I've checked Google, Canberra Botanic Gardens, the document search delivery service which covers most scientific publications, and here. Can't find a thing. Can't find my copies of Wild Food or Wild Medicine...does it have any entries there?

Was wondering if anyone had a copy of that bioprospecting data put out by CSIRO in the 1940's or 50's. If so, can you check it for me and email any references to that particular spp? It's got me stumped.

Guest wira

According to L.J. Webb 1948 [Guide to the Medicinal and Poisonous Plants of Queensland. CSIRO Bull. 232] it has been used as an alterative and tonic. I don't know whether that's indigenous use or whitey use, as I'm going by the referencing in Lassak & McCarthy's Australian Medicinal Plants. I've seen Webb 1948 and photocopied some of it, but not the Smilacaceae section. No phytochemical studies as far as I know.

I only have these refs:

Smilax australis-

Barbwire vine.///the globose fruits, about 8mm and generally black when ripe, are borne in radiating clusters of ten to thirty.Aborigines ate the fruit which are rather peppery.

Smilax glyciphylla.

Native sarsparilla, is a strong climber with no prickles and alternate egg-shaped leaves with three viens,

It has slender tendrils and tiny white flowers,which are followed by black pea-sized berries.The young leaves, which are occasionally purplish, are sweet when picked and eaten immediatly.

an infusion of the leves, which are high in vitamin C, can be used as a tonic or as a medicine for coughs and chest pains.

hope this has helped smile.gif

Smilax glyciphylla has got a strong 'sarsparilla' flavour in infusion. Tea made from the leaves have been used in Australia at least within the last two hundred years. The leaves of S. australis have little or no flavour, however.

S. australis was also apparently used to treat sore eyes. Glyciphylla leaf-tea was used for coughs and chest pains, and the berries "contain as much vitamin C as tomatoes" (Jennifer Isaacs, "Bush Food: Aboriginal Food and Herbal Medicine", Weldons, 1987, p. 239)

Hold on for a day or two; I'll ask my mate Peter tomorrow. He's a bushfood nut.

Saw it in a tea mix with echinacea today at Santos mullum.

Originally posted by mulga101 ( we're still desparate for attention are we? ):

Well seeing as I was involved in an ongoing phytochemical investigation last year into the genus Smilax including some HPLC/MS work I'd say I have access to newer information about these species than any others.

That won't last long, I'm sure your colleagues will realise what a pathetic loser you are shortly and dump you. You should know the patttern by now, it always happens like that

Though frankly given what a jerk Darklight has been around here, I can't really be bothered assisting.

Your assistance is not required. Now that you've opened your big flapping and useless mouth it will take me about three phone calls to locate the ppl undertaking the study and I'll prolly have, if not the actual data, then at least a decent grasp on the area of study to ensure we don't replicate it.

Sheesh I've found lumps of old chewie under train seats which display a far more active intelligence that you do...

I'll leave this here for an hour or so and then delete these last two posts, really but could I resist?

[This message has been edited by Darklight (edited 07 January 2002).]

Guest reville

wow that had to be the most helpful unhelpful post ive seen...

Here we go again. It was quiet for a few weeks, but now he is trying again. I'll just keep on deleting him, but given that he has more time to waste than me, we may end up needing to implement subscription screening.

Hardenbergia violacea and Helichrysum apiculatum are also called a native sarsparilla, are there chemical make up similar or is it due to their use?

E D

Guest arabica

The hardenbergia is called a sarsaparilla due to the similarity of it's foliage to Smilax glycyphylla. Not sure about the Helichrysum, haven't heard that before.

Smilax is the Smilaceae (sometimes included in the Liliaceae). Hardenbergia is from the pea family (Leguminosae, Fabaceae). Helichrysum I believe is from the Asteraceae and not a similar plant at all to the former two. As far as is known, it is unlikely they have similar chemical make-up at all.

I was told this w/e while looking for some sarsparilla plants that smilax glycyphylla and Smilax australis were non native introduced species. This was at Karunga nursery. They even checked there books and found it not listed. (it's possible the books were only about native VICTORIA species).

What is going on there?

E D

Guest arabica

Well Smilax may not be native to Victoria, though I thought that S. glycyphylla might've been found as an element in the coastal forest of east Gippsland. S. australis has slightly more northerly distribution. Qld has up to 7 reported species of Smilax.