The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Smiling Cloud

Aus Ethnobotany shop

Does anyone know of any cheap, australian

ethnobotanical seed shops? Or an overseas reliable one?

See reville's post about the Australasian Free Seed Ring. Otherwise, there are lots of overseas suppliers. The bigger seed companies (for general seeds, not specifically ethnobot.) generally have such a large catalogue that there are dozens of ethnobotanically interesting species. E.g. B & T world seeds, Mesa Garden, etc... a web search will reveal more. For specifically ethnobotanical suppliers, there are a few, I only have experience with Gnostic Garden, who seemed pretty good... see also other discussions in the forum archives.

Guest reville

It depends what you are after...

alot is already here - especially the annual types that can be expanded quickly

If you must import seed try and bring in things or varieties that we dont have already

(without being weedy)

If its on the SAB list then its probably in circulation so put up a request and yes do keep an eye on the development of the AFSR...i expect big things smile.gif

[This message has been edited by reville (edited 11 October 2001).]

if being infuriated is your bag - give medicine garden a go.

Yeah- I'm still irked that they sold me a black hellebore as a henbane. Either:

1. It was deliberate (which I doubt, coz I'm nice)

2. They didn't know. Maybe they were fooled too; after all "H. niger" and "H. niger" look superficially the same on a plant list.

Both are just as worrying, tho'. If they can't correctly identify some plants, how can we rely upon others? Or worse, if they are just palming off random plants under wrong names.

(Actually, this REALLY irks me. I feel especially cut because it took me four months to realise; and my father owns a nursery. I grew up in a herb garden! Dammit, I should have looked closer!! Oh well.)