The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Swiper

What does it mean when you say a cactus has terminated ?

Hi All,

I have seen the term ' my cactus has terminated ' on this forum a few times and was wondering what it means ?

Cheers,

Swiper.

It means Arnold wo'nt be back!

the apical meristem (tip) stops growing & energy is directed esewhere usualy to a pup near the tip.

• Like 1

Well imo, whenever a grower is saying that, he actually wants to say "i fucking killed it in the meantime". :P

EDIT: Or do you mean it terminated its growth? That is what shruman just said.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 2

Thanks shruman, that's what I thought it meant, now I know !

Thanks EG for the reply also.

So I suppose if you take a cut from a cactus, you have terminated the tip, does that make sense ?

Cheers,

Swiper.

Never heard someone say it like that. But its possible, english is not my first language and some practical terms might not be known to me.

Swiper I would think the answer is "no" you haven't terminated the tip you have taken a tip cutting as the tip will continue to grow as normal from the tip with no sign of terminating.

So, what factors cause a tip to terminate or keep growing?

Spidermite Damage for example. And in some cases, its because of bad genes. In Echinopsis breeding, there are some certain plants that will produce Offpring that might stop growing after a while. And wont start growing again. Like ever.

This monstrose T. pachanoi form will often have limbs that "terminate" at the apical meristem and then set new limbs out of other areoles. I think all three of the larger limbs in this shot went terminal.

821091676_76e3006018_o.jpg

~Michael~

• Like 1

Michael-

For this particular plant have you noticed that the limbs terminate at or near a specific length?

Is termination widely or narrowly variable?

Stillman, thanks I get it now.

Thanks EG, and thanks Michael for the example pic, it's a beauty!

Cheers,

Swiper.

Michael-

For this particular plant have you noticed that the limbs terminate at or near a specific length?

Is termination widely or narrowly variable?

Oops, sorry so long in getting back to this. Anyhow, the strangest thing is that this plant was once just a single on again/off again monstrose column that got close to two meters tall without ever going terminal. Once I cut it and and put these three 15 cm sections in that large pot they started going terminal. I wonder if it has anything to do with being root bound.

~Michael~