The Corroboree

Anyone hear the new Meshuggah album yet? Organic brutality A+

FUCK ! Just right now, bangin' & groovin' to this.....

Based on that track alone, I will buy Koloss album very soon.

Athough not a Meshuggah 'fan', my mind has often been open to their grooves. To my mind, they mesh psychedelic mindspace to a mighty brutal output, pioneers for an alternative utopia, free from the meek. Clearly it isn't for the faint-hearted, but it would be cool if some people could open up to the intensity. There is a lot be learned from guys like Meshuggah.

Woooooo, TOOL 2012

• Like 1

I would pay to see Marcel's tool. I wonder if it has a moustache?

Ah, you have already licked it. Don't be coy.

PS: I have also licked it.

Tool: proto-emo.

emo precedes tool. also, nope!

sweet that they are releasing new stuff, but i agree with incog that their shows got a bit lacklustre. also, 10,000 days was pretty rubbish compared with the prior 2 records. if anyone's seen Blood into Wine it seems like mjk's heart really isn't in the band, so i'm not expecting a groundbreaking new record.

Actually marcel turned down a gobby for his last nang, which he gave to toby. In guessing they had a prior arrangement :(

Edit the - Ben Harper thing is a long story. In short I would have liked to have punched him fair in the goolies.

Edited by incognito
  • Like 1

Dave Grohl is an AIDS denialist. What the fuck is that all about, Mr Nice Guy?

I saw Tool on acid the first three times they played in Australia. That converted me forever. Although as time goes on, their shows increasingly suck (although the lightshow & projections get better) and if they toured again, I dont think I would bother. Though when the album is released, I'll be all over it in a flash.

Wow. You drop off a thread for a day or two and suddenly a world of amateur ethnobots are discussing your genitalia. What a wonderful feeling!

For the record, I have a gorgeous crotch of hair that runs freely from belly button to asshole. And Incog: you were waaay too tired to give a gobbie that night. I knew that that nang would be wasted on you.

And to qualify my trollish remark about Tool, I know that my chronology is off and Emo does indeed precede Tool; I was just trying to make a punchy point using the tool of exaggeration. That said, I do think they are incredibly over-rated, at least in terms of their recordings. People get so fanatical about them that every once in a while I'll give them another go. But I just don't get it. They basically feel like a little bit of prog rock (a la Soft Machine, Gentle Giant and King Crimson), watered down and mixed in with 90s pop-metal (like Sepultura and Pantera), with the occasional interesting power riff and freaky sounding synth blast. Lyrically they're a notch above the angsty scribbles in the back of the average year 10 art diaries. Of course they're not Nickelback or Matchbox Twenty or anything that hideous, but come on, let's be honest: they're essentially pop music for freethinking pre-teens.

I haven't seen them play live, though, so maybe some of the appeal lies there. I also didn't grow up listening to them, and I know people (myself included) become very passionate and irrational about the music of their youth. I still get a little flutter in my heart when I listen to the Eric's Trip, despite my better judgement. B)

• Like 2

Moderators, please issue Marcel with one warn point.

Moderators, please issue Marcel with one warn point.

“When truth is replaced by silence,the silence is a lie.” -Yevtushenko

edit: edit

Edited by bulls on parade

This is my first post and I felt compelled to comment as Tool totally rocks my face off.

Last year I was living in Perth (recently relocated to Melbourne) and such was my need to see Tool live again that I bought tickets to both the Perth and Melbourne BDOs, as I feared that they would play sideshows only on the east coast. My predictions were accurate, so I bought a Melbourne sideshow ticket and sold my Perth BDO ticket.

I can agree that the BDO show was somewhat disappointing though I refuse to have a bad experience at a Tool concert. I found myself up the front in the mosh (I naively thought that everyone would just be grooving at the front…)

So even though I was surrounded by a thousand shirtless, sweaty, southern cross tatt-sporting bogans rubbing up against each other, and even though I couldn’t hear the vocals from where I was standing, they still rocked hard and I enjoyed the show.

The sideshow was a far better experience. Awesome sound, melting visuals, the crowd was into it – some friendly punter handed me a joint and said “you have it dude”, and wicked set-list – Intension and Right in Two towards the end! Curiously they played Aenema and Flood, with Maynard saying these are appropriate for whats been going on in QLD...

Waiting for 5 years plus for an album is a little ridiculous but I’d rather wait 5 years for a face-melting masterpiece than get regular but less perfected albums… 2012 release - I hope so but I'm not holding my breath...

Puscifer – love em.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4vgzMRYLc4

Anyone out there into Karnivool?

I don't know how I didn't see this thread!

Shall be an epic month!

RF

If anyone is in need of a good TOOL substitute or possibly replacement? Check out Soen. No doubt parallels will be drawn but they are VERY good at what they do.

Edited by muskrat
  • Like 1

If anyone is in need of a good TOOL substitute or possibly replacement? Check out Soen. No doubt parallels will be drawn but they are VERY good at what they do.

Thanks for the link, I hadn't heard of them yet. Actually quite good! I can see the similarities with Tool, but so what. It is good music. I haven't had a new band to discover for ages, cheers!

i can totally relate to maynards stance on ciggerette smoking and light flashing - he has problems with his eyes that cause severe light sensitivity, he also is allergic to tobacco smoke (both of which i have suffered from so can completely relate to his requests.... and furthermore his dismay at being disresepcted in such a blatent manner by the people for whom he performs for)

i can also understand that, being of a certain professional calibre, it may be difficult to work with big show promoters / stage managers @ big day out e.t.c.... as they very rarely maintain the level of quality that bands such as Tool and performers such as Maynard deserve.

the guy is a fucking enigma. one of the most talented and prolific creators currently alive and engaged in reality on this earth.

and fuck xxx , you just mentioned three of the most talented performers whom i hold in the most upmost esteem for their integrity and dedication to soulful creation..

interesting that you are dissing them in such a way.. how healthy and active is your creative talent/ability ? maybe some healing in that realm will bring greater appreciation for your beautiful brothers.

• Like 1

Saw a bit of TOOL at last years BDO, wasn't very impressed, but that was probably because we just finished watching rammstien do the most epic performance I have ever seen, so much fire, so many explosions, fuck it was good. So so fucking good.

I didnt even bother with tool that BDO and your bang on about that Rammstein set, one of best festivale shows ive ever seen.

Ive seen Tool a few times before and i think there really over rated esp live. Manyard is a TOOL!!!!!!

• Like 1

and fuck XXX, you just mentioned three of the most talented performers whom i hold in the most upmost esteem for their integrity and dedication to soulful creation..

Maybe i havent read enough of this thread or something but i dont know who xxx is .... .

anyway, i doubt maynard will be ranked as much of anything in history. Im banking on Mark Lanegan and the 2 kevins of Skinny puppy being the nobodys of today and the messures of tomorrow. (pardon english)

Edited by Eg: Dont post peoples real names please!

Edit by EF: What the? whos name did i use? ???

Edited by eatfoo

ahh shit. eat foo. it was me who stuffed up. oops. sorry.

totally unconscious slip up, i haven't been on this forum in a while and obviously lagged in my cultural etiquette's.

Lol fair enough. Was a bit confusing to wake to a PM "remove word xxx ASAP" and find that the mods have edited my post :P

All good then.

I just saw a killer new Tool like band from Sydney here in the Berra that are named Breaking Orbit. Definitely check them out if you get the chance.

I bought their album, T-shirt and got sigs from the entire band who are absolute legends. The last time I was that much of a fanboy was when I first found Frenzal Rhomb.

I'll post some Youtube footage when I sober up.