The Corroboree
niggles

Mullumbimby community buys its own supermarket

Great initiative and there should be more of it. Hope they can keep the pricing competitive.

Niggles, don't you have food Co-Ops in your city ? There are a few withing coo-ee of Sydney (Newtown, Katoomba, maybe Manly), and it works in a way that you pay a membership fee, do a little bit of work to chip in, or do a lot of volunteer hours and get a big discount. The products are ethically sourced and packaging considerations are paramount.

The only problem is limited buying power compared to the major supermarkets, so the items are often 3 times more expensive. Not a good situation when your clientelle are often students and new-gen hippies, But what else can they do ? They dont pay many salaries, and they aren't making profit..........

I was in driving all around the the Southern Highlands yesterday and stopped in at Picton, a small town of 3000 people. Despite this, they have a Coles AND an IGA, as well as a McDonalds. It made me so angry that the shire council would allow such developments, and forsaking the traditional community model of having bakery, butcher, greengrocer, cobbler & candlestick maker. The retail face of this country is a mirror image of the corporate USA model, and the impact is far-reaching to even the smallest of townships.

• Like 3

not even the USA, or anywhere that i'm aware of, has just two companies taking the lions share of grocery sales.

can't wait to visit mullumbimby, the shy sibling of byron :D

can't wait to visit mullumbimby, the shy sibling of byron :D

I gotta head down to Wanjina soon :) I love the Mullumbimby pub, awsome camping area's too!

Nice to see a photo of Mount Torsten there in the link :P

I don't know about your local co-op Psylo, but my local (Manly) is cheap as chips. You don't have to work there, but if you do, the discounts are even greater. Things like coffee and fruit and veg are more expensive than Coles, but rice and sugar and flour and lentils and basic foods are cheaper and better and all ethical and mostly organic.

Thanks for the link Niggles. Great story. But doesn't Mullum have a Woolies/Coles as well?

Nice to see a photo of Mount Torsten there in the link :P

That's awsome! I didn't even notice it until you said that Marcel