The Corroboree

Question

10 answers to this question

Dehydrated.

Looks like knuthianus maybe.

• Like 1

this cactus comes from a clump that was in the worst state ive ever seen, rotting at the base, bright yellow and very unhappy

i was thinking knuthianus too, but im not so confident on my ID'ing skills yet

macrogonus?

I would say without doubt a trichocereus knuthigonus :P

im gunna nurse it back to full health, then it should be a little easier to ID, thanks though

Hi Dave, shrumans right. Have not the slightest doubt its Knuthianus. Also called knuthigonus sometimes. :wink:

Edited by Evil Genius

Haha, yeah I bought my knuthianus (or kubianus, I'm sure I've seen that spelling before) labeled as macrogonus a few years ago, also seen some sold by others as macro in that time. Neither is a recognised species & probly fits into the cuzco complex

Seems a slow grower & very prone to corking & general ugliness to me so I'm not so suprised you said it came from a falling down sick old girl. That could be environmental though...

Still a unique & beautiful plant in its own way.

Its funny, i just read about it in Friedrich Ritters old catalogues. He definately considered Knuthianus to be a subspecies of Cuzcoensis. And the Trichocereus Crassiarboreus is actually a subspecies of Knuthianus, but more treelike and with a rounder trunk. So i think Crassiarboreus and Knuthianus are the same. Back then, they liked making a new species for every little variety.

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

that'd make this my second batch of knuthianus (hopefully from different clones/parentage) the're really beautiful and knobbly, cast great shadows too

If anyone in Melbourne would like a cut of knuthianus (for trade) just PM me