The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Stillman

what agave is this?

Question

this grows like a weed everywhere near me. I am hoping it may be a mezcal type? They get massive too.

DSCF2004.jpg

DSCF2003.jpg

DSCF2002.jpg

Any ideas?

9 answers to this question

I should say they are a lot bluer normally I put these guys out in the full sun and I don't think they like it much.

Some big clumps near wear I got the little pups

DSCF2002-2.jpg

DSCF2003-1.jpg

I think it might be the common americana. Looks to be of similar structure and stature as the variagated ones, minus the variagation of course. It does look a lot like the tequilana that pop up in those first few google images, but all my tequilanas (what were sold to me as being named tequilana) are much, much "fatter", both young and old plants. Thicker leaves, really chunky at the centre. Kind of like the difference between cereus and trich perhaps.

But who knows, ID's are often a bit of a gamble.

do you have a pic of your plants by any chance, there seems to be a great discrepancy in what blue agave look like, the adult plants are growing on the side of a cliff some of these things were massive but the council have been getting rid of them because the ones close to the bike way are so sharp lol. I'll keep haveing a dig around and send the pics to a few people, its just as likely its an americana so I will look into that too. The cliff line has a yellow flowering prickly pear an unusual red dragon fruit and a few other succulents etc I wonder who introduced them there? And how long ago. Its a nice little spot.

after a very quick google I doubt it is americana the blades although my little ones in th epots do look similiar the larger wild specimens are a bit different IMO. Mind you still dosn't mean its tequila time lol.

For comparison a pic from the net

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/233486/

Edited by Stillman

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/documents/Biosecurity_EnvironmentalPests/IPA-Blue-Agave-Risk-Assessment.pdf

found this from the dpi in my area it is found in pockets in the"wild" Interestingly it state that they do no produce seeds because we don't have the specific bats, but I can assure you that I have seed pods with seeds I actually just planted about 400 seed lol. We also have a fruit bat colony near here but possibly it was done by some sort of insect life.

your plants dont look anything like the blue agave that I'm used to seeing or of those that I remember from many years ago that were used to make tequila in Mexico. I believe that one is agave americana and have much broader leaves with more pronounced hooks or spines on their edges. I had a variegated one that flowered and the inflorescence was mind boggling to say the least.

Zelly do you have any photos of the flowers? I'm not convinced its Blue agave but I don't think its americana from pics this one grows very blade like? I don't know anymore lol, I have been looking at photos for a while this arfternoon and it all looks the same now lol.

^^^ Yep, that sure looks like its the one.

Good job on i.d. -ing it. :wink: