The Corroboree

Rather than post another recipe in the Random Thread, I thought hey why not start a proper one. So I encourage all who shared delicious and healthy recipes in there to copy+paste them back into here :)

Here's my mum's Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup. Sooo more-ish you just can't stop at one bowl. When she first started making this when I was a skinny scrawny teenager, I would eat so much of it I ended up with a semi-permanant Buddha belly.

Boil up one frozen chicken in a huge pot with water just covering for 2-3 hours. Refill water to top the chicken as necessary. When finished, take the chicken carcass out and put it into a large enough container, and put both separate pot+stock and chicken container into fridge. Let sit overnight.

When the fat on the top of the stock has hardened, remove it and throw away the fat layer. The stock should have a jelly like consistency.

Pick the chicken meat off the carcass. I use this opportunity to use the best bits of meat, rather than all the odd-bob grody bits some restaurants chuck into theirs.

Re-heat the stock and add the meat.

Add two large cans of creamed corn. Keep one of the tins aside.

Taste test to add salt and white pepper (black pepper's fine, but white gives it a nice warmth in comparison). If you feel it needs it you can add powdered or liquid chicken stock, but you shouldn't really need any unless you decide to make the soup in bigger quantity by adding some water which dilutes it.

Crack two eggs into one of the corn tins, beat.

This is the tricky bit...

you have to bring the soup back up to a boil and keep stirring it so that it doesn't burn the soup. Stir stir stir, quickly dump the eggs into the outside swirl of the soup. Stop stirring constantly, but don't let the soup stop moving at all. The idea is to poach the swirled egg bits at the bottom of the pot while letting them string out as the soup slowly swirls. After a minute you should notice thick white eggs strings (rather than chunks) float to the top. Lower the temperature so the soup isn't boiling any more. If you don't get this part right (as I've screwed up a few times), it won't matter if you try it again, just adds to the thickness of the soup.

Taste test again. It should be chicken-y, with the sweet flavour of the corn to counterbalance the savoury and the salt and pepper. Add more whatever corn, eggs, salt/pepper to taste. If you wanted a particularly thick soup, you can add cornflour (pre-dissolved) into the soup prior to the eggs. I don't feel it really needs it.

It's hot, hearty, healthy, mouth watering, and easy to eat small amounts when you feel like you can't handle much in your stomach. Easy to freeze and then re-heat as needed also.

Bon apetite!

• Like 6

sweet potato soup

2kg of sweet potato

1 onion

butter

1 large carrot

small bit of fresh turmeric

chili flakes

natural yoghurt and or can of coconut milk

Take 2kg of sweet potato I normally use the gold ones for this

Peel and cut sweet potato and carrot into smallish pieces place in a big pot add enough water to boil comfortably but not cover.

Bring to boil cook until soft at this point determine how much water you want for the soup do you want it chunky or runny? I like thick chunky soups so I dump most of the water and then I mash the potato and carrot together

while I've been waiting for it to boil I cut up and fry a onion in butter, fry it enough for it to go clear

now add it to the mash

at this point add freshly grated turmeric to taste as well as chili flakes to taste

at this point you can throw in a can of coconut milk if you've decided to go down that path but I prefer to let it sit for a bit on low heat and then serve with natural yoghurt instead A heap of natural yoghurt = ) and mix it together well

• Like 1

This one is SOOO good and healthy too I guess.

Pop a few slices of sweet potato and pumpkin in the grill on medium (1cm thick)

After approx 10 mins, turn the slices grill for another 5-10 mins.

Once they look cooked enough, sprinkle on a mix of diced bacon and leek on top of the slices, and top with any ground spices of your choice.

Grill that until it's perfectly awesome (about 5 mins).

When it's ready, put it all into a bowl with some grated cheddar cheese and sweet chilli sauce, and mash it all together.

Now break off a heap of nice big, crisp lettuce leaves and spoon the hot mash onto the lettuce leaves, roll and eat.

(If you are veg then hold the bacon obviously)

I guess I better give them a name now (before they go famous)

how 'bout 'Halcyon Daze Hot Mash Slammers'!

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 3

Heres a little favourite of mine, may be too adventurous for some but its perfect easy munchie food.

Blueberry, dark chocolate muffins with lemon drizzle.

125g butter

3/4 cup sugar

Lemon zest

2 eggs

1 1/2 cups self raising flour

1/2 cup milk

1 cup frozen blueberries

3/4 cup finely chopped dark chocolate

Juice of 1 lemon

3 Tbsp brown sugar

Preheat oven to 180.

Cream butter, sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, beat well.

Sift flour into egg mixture, alternating with the milk. Fold together gently. Add blueberries and chocolate.

Spoon into a greased muffin pan. Bake for 12-15 mins.

Mix together lemon juice and sugar and drizzle a small amount onto each muffin when they come out of the oven.

Serve hot with plain yoghurt.

• Like 1

Loving the sound of these recipes. WIll definitely try them, especially those "Halcyon Daze Hot Mash Slammers" ;-) That chicken soup also sounds awesome. There's nothing like making your own stock.

Here's a couple of dessert recipes I love. They're hardly healthy, but they're fine in moderation ;-)

I can't take credit for them, they're from the 'net, but they're both amazing and dead easy...

Lemon Slice

17268.jpg

It's basically the same as the one at the end of the link on taste.com, but it's simpler than you might think. I like this one because it doesn't require you to cook anything.

Base:

1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk (you can buy it in tubes at Coles instead of cans)

100g butter or margarine

200g Granita biscuits (they come in packets of 250g, so you can eat a few while you cook ;-)

1 cup desiccated coconut

1 lemon rind, finely grated

Icing:

2 to 3 cups of icing sugar

40g butter, softened

1 lemon, juiced

1. Blend the Granita biscuits into fine crumbs with a food processor, then mix through the coconut and 2 tsp of lemon rind in a large bowl.

2. Grease a tray (at least 2cm deep, 15cm x 25cm) and line it with Glad Bake non-stick so it overhangs the edges.

3. Put the 100g butter in a microwavable cup, and grease the inside with it. (This helps the sweetened condensed milk from sticking.) Then add the sweetened condensed milk, and heat in the microwave for 45sec on high or just until the butter has melted. Add it to the biscuit mix and stir through well.

4. Push the biscuit mix into the pan evenly. I use a potato squasher to get it flat :-) Put it into the freezer for 30 mins, or the fridge for an hour or more.

5. In another bowl, combine 2 cups of the icing sugar, 40g softened butter (microwave again), and half the lemon juice. Stir it well -- it should be a hard lumpy mix. If it's too hard to spread, add more lemon juice. If it goes too soft, add more icing sugar. Repeat until you get a smooth consistency you can spread onto the biscuit base. Spread it over once the base has finished cooling, and refrigerate for another 30 mins. I like to cover the top with more coconut and lemon rind :-D

6. Once it's done, you can lift the whole thing out by carefully lifting it by the Glad Bake, then chop it into squares. Awesome.

Flourless Almond and Orange Cake

4300067490_3302889b93.jpg

This is a famous Jewish one from Food Safari, and is good if you want to make something that is dairy and gluten free. It's easier if you have food scales for this one. It's also a bit expensive, as the almond meal isn't exactly as cheap as flour... but hot-damn, is it ever worth it.

Ingredients

2 oranges 

6 eggs

250g caster sugar

250g almond meal

1tsp baking powder

Extra caster sugar for dusting before baking

Icing sugar for dusting after baking

Margarine or oil spray (for greasing the pan)

1. Wash oranges and place unpeeled (as they are) in a pot of boiling water for 2 hours. Make sure the water doesn't boil away and that the oranges are mostly covered the whole time (otherwise they will burn!) Drain the water and allow the oranges to cool. This can be done ahead of time.

2. Preheat oven to 190°C.

3. Use a food processor to blend the oranges into a puree.

4. Break 6 eggs into a mixing bowl or blender. Add caster sugar and beat or blend together with a blender or by hand.
Add the orange puree, then the almond meal and baking powder. Mix well.

5. Grease a 20 cm spring form baking pan (one with the clip on the side and removable base) with margarine (or vegetable oil spray) and dust with caster sugar.

6. Pour the mixture into the pan and sprinkle caster sugar on top and bake for 1 hour to an hour and a half or until the top is golden brown. It might look like it's burning, but it will be fine - it goes quite dark when it's cooked. Dust with icing sugar to serve.

This is amazing served with thick double cream... :innocent_n:

ARRRRGH, CALORIES AHOY!!!! :devil:

Wm-ss-fat-guy-1-.jpg

Edited by antonsyd
  • Like 1

mushrooms, tomatoes w/ splash of balsamic, basil or oregano (dried or fresh), cracked black pepper, feta, bread crumbs

put each under the griller in that order, starting with mushrooms ending with bread crumbs,

holy shit it's nice.

wholemeal pasta, feta cheese, kalamata olives, sundried tomatoes, fresh pesto. (tuna & anchovies optional.)

• Like 1

Martabak manis - Sweet, salty, fatty Indonesian goodness

Ingredients:

Three big blocks of creamy milk chocolate roughly chopped

2 cans of sweetened condensed milk

1-2 Big pack of roughly crushed salted peanuts

Pancake mixture

Butter

Get a round plastic container (~30cm) with a lid and vertical edges.

Start making BIG pancakes that will cover the base of the container.

Take the first HOT pancake and smear that sucker with a BIG swathe of super fatty, salty butter. Stick it in the bottom of the container and add a good solid layer of chocolate, salted peanuts and sweetened condensed milk - don't be stingy!!! - add plenty of ingredients.

Add another hot pancake on top so the heat melts the chocolate.

Keep layering up with the above method until you reach just above your container a centimeter or two...and the whole thing has a similar weight to a house brick. Then take the container lid and compact that fatty bad boy so it's heavily compressed in the container...let it cool.

Once cool, let it slide out of the container and cut up like a cake and get ready for the rapture.

Edited by Dale Cooper
  • Like 1

I was expecting a cherry pie recipie from someone who called Dale Cooper!

• Like 2

more soups for chilli melbz nites,

The petal's

Thai style sweet potato soup

1/2 teaspoon sesame oil

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 leek (white part only) washed and chopped

1 large onion " "

1 large carrot " "

1 large celery " "

1kg sweet potato(orange) chunky

200 gm gray pumpkin " "

1 tablespoon red chilli

3 teaspoons lemongrass

4 teaspoons grated ginger

4 teaspoons grated garlic

2 teaspoons grated fresh turmeric

10 curry leaves

bunch of coriander roots scraped clean, chop roots and stem finely, reserve leaves for the end

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon ground coriander

100gm methi ( fresh frozen fenugreek from indian grocery) you can do without this if you can't find

1 400ml coconut cream

salt and fresh ground pepper and water to cover. This is for the quantity I made last week.

In a large pot start with sesame and olive oils on low heat. Add leek, onion, celery, carrot and let them soften. Then add chilli, lemongrass, ginger, garlic,coriander roots and stems,turmeric and curry leaves, fry for about two minutes then add coconut cream. Add cumin,coriander and methi, sweet potato and pumpkin, salt and pepper and enough water to almost cover vegies.

Cook on a very low simmer until all vegies are easy to crush with a spoon. Blend and stir in fresh coriander leaves. You could serve some yoghurt or sour cream with it if you like. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!

if you came to the melbmeet last weekend this was the soup of the day

• Like 2

^ This i will be making. I had a few serves of that soup, and it is divine!.

:)

OK I'm not much into food preparation, but a quick and healthy staple here:

• 1" thick slices of cooked sweet potato ( roast is best but microwave is fastest )
  • Rocket leaves
  • Pesto- a good brand that's not too oily
  • Fetta cheese
  • Chillies or tabasco sauce

To cook:

Dollop pesto on sweet potato slices

Top with crumbled fetta

Add chillies or tabasco

Grill or microwave

Serve on rocket leaves

not so "creamy" leek and potato soup

2 potatos,

1 leek,

250-375 mls liquid (stock or water your choice, just enough to cover veggies)

garlic cloves

3/4 packet silken tofu

salt & pepper to taste

cook veggies in saucepan until leek is wilted, add liquid, simmer for 20-30 minutes, add tofu, blend, enjoy

simple as and pretty tasty, replace tofu with milk or cream and add cheese if thats your thing,

i've made this a few times now and it's fucking delicious and easy as (you can get the ingredients from asian supermarkets)

leek and miso soup

1 leek

1 teaspoon sesame oil

splash of sake (i use mirin in place of it)

3 1/2 cups stock, combo of shiitake stock and dried radish stock (sea below)

3 table spoons white miso

clean and prepare leeks and fry in sesame oil until soft, then splash in sake/mirin to deglaze the pan a bit. add stock and simmer for 3-4 minutes. in a separate bowl, pour hot stock over the miso and whisk until miso is dissolved (about 1 cup hot liquid will do). turn the heat off the leek/stock and add the miso. stir in but don’t boil. serve and enjoy.

shiitake stock

combine 8-10 medium sized dried shiitake mushrooms + 2x1.5 inch piece of kombu (or a handful of wakame if you can’t find kombu) in 3 1/2 cups of water. allow to steep for a few hours.

dried radish stock

add 1/2 cup dried radish to 3 cups water + 2x1.5 piece kombu (or wakame as above), steep for a few hours

when adding stock make sure to strain well to filter out any bits.

optional: add some mushrooms (shiitake/shimeji etc) when frying the leeks for a bit extra mushroom flavour.

Nice, I am growing lots of leek this season so i'll definately give that leek and miso soup a go.

Heres a "recipie" which my dad introduced me to at my 21st birthday party:

Buy a bag of crossaunts, a tub of ice cream and natural vanilla syrup.

Then you cut the crossaunts in half, stuff with ice cream and drizzle with vanilla syrup.

Simple and amazing.

just riffing on post #14, replace leeks with asparagus with great results

Chicken Drumstick Cassarole (Paleo)

Grandma Style Recipe. A Nice Hearty Simple meal that has no processed or packaged ingredients. It requires no salt with the holy trinity of meal bases, Carrot , Celery and Onion. It is so very simple to prepare. Its easy to adjust to suit 2 to 20 people. I have left the amounts of most ingredients out, as there is a fair bit of room here to alter as it suits. You can add a touch of chili if you like a stronger taste. If you leave the Garlic and Parmesen out pretty sure this qualifies as Paleo :)

Chicken Drumsticks (8?)

Tomatoes Diced

Onion Diced

Carrots Diced

Celery Diced

Garlic

Chick Peas

White Wine

Basil Bunch

Olive Oil

Pre Heated Oven 180'C

Square Baking Tray

Frypan Medium Heat

Saucepan Medium Heat

In a large saucepan cook the onions and garlic for 1 min.

Add Carrots and Celery and cook for 5 mins.

Add Chickpeas and Let Simmer

Whilst the Sauce is cooking place Drumsticks into frypan and cook until Browned with skin on.

Once Cooked place in Baking Tray.

To the Sauce add diced tomatoes and cook for 3 mins on medium to high heat.

Add Basil Roughly Chopped Cook for 1 min.

Add White Wine until thin saucy texture, Bring to Boil.

Simmer until nice cassarole consistency.

Pour Sauce Over the Drumsticks.

Cover Tray with Foil or Lid and place in Oven 180'C for Approx 20-30Mins.

Serve in A bowl with Grated Parmesen,

Edited by Slybacon
  • Like 2

For some reason I am not allowed to post pics :( says extension not allowed. I tried BMP, JPG and PNG :( anyway, its easy enough :P)
Why hello good people of earthly goodness! I thought I would share a 100+ year old family recipe with you :)

I will start by saying that my family, dirty Italian pasta munchers, comes from a very small village in southern Italy. They needed to make salami, other cured meats, tomato sauce for pasta as well as pickle milkcaps. They relied on this for survival. They used to pick saffron milkcaps in Europe then moved to Sydney in '68 and have been picking at Oberon every April since then :)

I had a chat with a few folk at the sub camp this year and thought I would share our recipe :) if I can, when at my PC, I'll upload pics that go along with the recipe.

Also, someone else mentioned whether or not this would work with other mushrooms. I am unsure! If anyone knows or wants to try and post results I, as well as others, I'm sure, would be very grateful :)

SAFFRON MILKCAP RECIPE OF GLORY AND AWESOMENESS... or so my dad told me...

OK... So this is quite simple but trust me, the results are super addictive and will be a flavour explosion of awesomeness in Ur mouth!!

Once picked and taken home, clean all the gunk off them. Green moldy stuff isn't a problem, in fact I left my shrooms out for 2 days, they turned mostly green under the gills and my mum said that's normal. You can store them in the fridge for a week or so and will be fine. Despite the green.

Next step, chop them up. They only need to be as big as the hole in the jar but you can chop them as finely as you like. I generally chop them to about 1cm strips about 1-2inches long. Once chopped put them into a pot for the stove.

Next you need to mix vinegar and water to boil the mushrooms in. My mum said "put water and vinegar together and mix salt thru until you like the flavour then add a touch more salt!" My dad said mix 50/50 vinegar/water and no salt! Both of their mushrooms are incredible so I'd suggest playing until you're happy :)

Once you find the ratio you like, add the fluid to the pot of shrooms(approx. 1 inch/25mm above the mushrooms) and start to boil. Once the water is boiling cook it for a short amount of time. My mum said 6 minutes. My dad said between 10-20. My last batch was 10 mins and they came out amazingly!

Once boiled for x amount of time, pour the contents out into a strainer and let them cool down. Once cool, pat down the shrooms to squeeze out and excess fluid.

After they are cooled and squeezed, you can add things like garlic, chili, dried oregano(which is my mums recipe, amazing) or chili, fenel and oregano(dried always). You can be creative and add what you wish!

Put the shrooms and flavour mix into a jar and pack hem in tightly. Fill the jar with oil, done!!! After use, make sure the oil is covering the shrooms and they will last.... Well the longest ice had a jar is 2 years.

I hope you can find some pleasure from the milkys like I have for the last 29 years hehe :) I'm obsessed!!

Enjoy :)

-hH

P.s: May the Schwartz be with you!

Edited by halfhead
  • Like 3

here's some chinese medicine-approved congee recipes that make an excellent breakfast. they'll warm you up from the inside to keep you nice and toasty in winter, and help keep colds at bay.

GINGER AND JUJUBE CONGEE

1. In a pot, combine: peeled and grated 1/2 - 1 inch piece of ginger; 10 dried, seeded, quartered Chinese red dates (aka jujubes); 1/2 cup uncooked short grain rice; 3-5 cups of water (depending on what type of rice you're using).

2. Bring to a boil, then set heat to low and simmer gently with the lid slightly ajar for 45-60 minutes. Stir regularly to prevent sticking; add extra water if necessary. You are aiming for a consistency anywhere between porridge and soup according to your personal preference. You can also remove the lid to boil off excess water.

3. Serve warm with honey to taste. Serves 2-3.

CINNAMON-CHESTNUT CONGEE

1. Boil 6 chestnuts in a pot of water for 1/2 an hour. Use a serrated knife to cut them in half, then scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Discard the shells and chop the chestnuts into small pieces.

2. Combine the chestnuts, 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, 1/2 cup uncooked short grain rice, and 3-5 cups of water (depending on what type of rice you're using).

3. Bring to a boil, then set heat to low and simmer gently with the lid slightly ajar for 45-60 minutes. Stir regularly to prevent sticking; add extra water if necessary. You are aiming for a consistency anywhere between porridge and soup according to your personal preference. You can also remove the lid to boil off excess water.

4. Add 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon a few minutes before you finish boiling.

5. Serve warm with honey to taste. Serves 2-3.

Edited by Scarecrow

Chesh any chance ur fantastical lady could give up her curry recipe?

wonderfully simple ingog :wub:

-feeds four to six guys depending ion the size-

>

skin off chicken thighs fillets approx 500 gms

a tablespoon of natural yoghurt

juice of 1 lemon

3 tablespoons of tandoori paste - use your favourite - sharwood's is easy

combine them together -marination for 1hr or so

then, bake on a rack in the oven on 180 for ` 1/2hour

-in the meantime make the sauce on the stove

the sauce is

1 tablespoon vege oil

1 " crushed garlic

" " grated ginger

1 cinnamon quill

2 teaspoons of red crushed chilli -

gently fry in a medium sized pot until fragrant and the oil has taken up all the colours of the chilli etc 2 -3 mins

stir in 2 tablespoons of tomato paste and fry for another minute or so

then add 400gm can of diced tomatoes - > add water to the empty can and shwirl around pour that into the pot also

1 teaspoon of ground cumin

1 teaspoon of ground coriander

1/2 of teaspoon of powdered tumeric

bring to boil and then reduce to the lowest temp for 20 minutae

-then, add a tablespoon of honey, 100gms of butter,150 ml thickened no frills thick cream.

return to boil for 1 minute and reduce to a simmer for 10 mins

wash n pat dry a bunch of coriander - chop stems( don't use the roots) and half of the leaves(save the other half of the leaves for garnish at the end before serving)

add to sauce :)

now -

pull chicken out of le oven and add to sauce

oh man, i'm salivating now.....anyway,

boil some rice of your choice and add the curry to it.

\

raita or

Tzatziki

or more natural yogurt - your choice wogs

salt optional at end

munch non nom nom nom - it's pretty yum

• Like 1