The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
trucha

Thoughts on religion

i like the idea of the universe being alive through its increase of complexity.

pure energy condensing to atoms, these form molecules, these form matter, then organic compunds, then life, then life evolves up to humans, then the evolution of the mind through science and who knows from there?

the best thing about this is its happening at an exponential rate - they think the galaxy was created AGES ago and it took a very very very long time to get to the point of life, a shorter time to evolve into complex single cells, an even shorter time to evolve into complex multicellular organisms.

then look at the evolution of the brain - homo sapien sapiens have been around for a while now but look at the jump in technology in the last 100 years.

everything is getting faster and faster

perhaps we will hit the limit in 2010

Prophet:

quote:

Human life is meaningless. We are animals with brains too big for our own good, so we invent all sorts of problems for ourselves

Speak for yourself. I certainly don't fall into that category.

yes you certainly dont fall into that catergory and i can say that with no knowledge of your ability to invent problems for yourself :D :D :D

just kidding folks

in all seriousness i must say your faith is astounding - despite rock solid evidence for evolution and proof christ was created from a myth you are still telling us that we are going to hell.

Hagakure:

perhaps we will hit the limit in 2010 [Wink]

Terminal velocitay :D

just thinking about the end of the world philosophy n all that

there is always the perspective that no such thing really exists outside the natural lifespan of a civilistaion and that once a society reaches a critical mass and complexity and is corrut it can see its visionaroies see its own demise coming. to then the end is nigh but to other cultures its just another change of the guard

Tha Aztecs and Inca had forsight their own doom

Maybe the so called end times for the christain right are just that but only for them

its their own 1492 after which the world will carry on in a new phase without them

I personally believe that all that is corrupted is destined to die independant of outside influence. we neednt do anything but let nature play its course. It seems that the universe's mathematical complexity allows several versions of a good and sustainable reality to coexist as avenues to a single truth that is life and the light of a rational truth.

look at some simple agrarian societies tucked into the corners of the world who have been unchanged for centuries in a simple way of life, or a san bushman living as did the very first Homo sapiens.

both fitting snugly within limited parameters of diversity

anything existing outside these numerous and varied zones becomes inherently unstable and self destructs automatically - though not often immediately. sometimes it can even be like cancer and seemingly get a bit out of control but u can be sure that this is just part of the self regulation in that it has to get so big that when it goes it makes a wake so big it washes away all the peripheral rot as well

it happens in evolution, and as human society plays according to the same mathematical rules as does a multicellular organism then why not.

It does answer for me the issue of what is good and what is evil on a rational and scientific bais as well as a spiritual one

good is that which fosters life, fertility and eternal prosperity

evil is that which fosters disease, sterility and ultimately annihilation

and any act is not necessarily inherently one of the other but must be seen in context. its the mix that becomes

so war is most often and evil and despicable thing but under limited circumstances it becomes necessary for ensuring survival. Even in this case how you treat the enemy and how far you go towards a 'total victory' before showing mercy and seeking peace is what dicates good or evil.

[ 18. June 2005, 15:18: Message edited by: Rev ]

quote:

in all seriousness i must say your faith is astounding - despite rock solid evidence for evolution and proof christ was created from a myth you are still telling us that we are going to hell.

I never said anyone was going to hell. I said if people refuse to repent that is where they will end up. But sadly it is true that alot of people will go to hell. The reason being because they refuse to acknowledge their creator and to turn from their evil. I sure don't want to end up there.

quote:

Pro 9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

quote:

Yoda: "Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you."

[ 19. June 2005, 04:34: Message edited by: creach ]

Fear can be a good thing, there is One who we should fear.

quote:

Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

The only fear you will find in me is the fear of God :)

My idea is that there is a life field from which to cloth a self organizing individual. Angels included.

The problem might be that the form is not too great to handel, as in a fallen angel, but about the self organizing individual was not cabable of being at the born time and not having empathy.

Geehana is a hebrew term for taking trash to be burned which in at that time was a quarry pit, later used as a burial place for the rich.

I don't believe eternal torment exists.

The Lost Light: An Interpretation of Ancient Scriptures

By Alvin Boyd Kuhn

http://www.theosophical.ca/LostLight1.htm

I can not recommend this work enough. It is revelational to say the least and is a work of comparative religion that sheds an incredible amount of light on nearly every sacred scripture if you use Kuhn's "interpretive" formula.

Behind Christian thought lies much more than you might have though. It's perversion, having begun in the consolidation of religious authority in the 4th century, is far from what it was in the first couple centuries. Christianity has seeds that extend farther back in history than many believe, and once you can understand them you can see its value and how that value has been severely corrupted.

At least read the Prologue of "The Lost Light."

Here's more by Alvin Boyd Kuhn:

http://members.tripod.com/~pc93/kuhn.htm

~Michael~

deleted.

[ 25. June 2005, 02:39: Message edited by: Flip ]

quote:

look at the jump in technology in the last 100 years.

everything is getting faster and faster

perhaps we will hit the limit in 2010

Naqoyqatsi!

yeah good article hag, ray kurzweil's got a very good website on the technological singularity http://www.kurzweilai.net/meme/frame.html?m=1 predicted date is around 2030, from what i remember around that time an AI smarter than us will emerge, which in turn produces an even smarter AI... positive feedback follows until we hand over control (or they pry it from our cold, lifeless hands) and sit back for the ride. i'd really like to see more movies exploring the idea that maybe AI will be benevolent rather than complete assholes (then again, if we humans make them in our image...)

Ok maybe I’m a bit slow but if evolution is bullshit

and we were created by a god then who or what created this god? Shurly this life form didn’t just appear out of no where.