The Corroboree
TommyChesnutt

first time beard grower :)

Well, it's about time i grew a beard, simple as that.

It's not as patchy as it used to be, and i think i can get away with it without looking stupid.

I am keen to hear others' experience in having a beard, maintaining a beard, how many women just fall into your life after growing a beard,

and any other exciting thing that has to do with the hair on your face.

Am also interested in the 'manly' aspect of having a beard... and, do people treat you differently in general? B)

Please add your thoughts..!

• Like 1

Everytime i grow a moustache people comment on my goatie, wich is always there. My advice: dont shave.

i got no damn sweet loving tonight from my little fem friend not even a smooch she said i got a caterpillar above my lip and my facial growth reminds her of her old man...my beard still rocks tho! B)

• Like 1

well now that is just not fair .

i do hear some women hate it though... oh well, too bad :)

^hahaha i hate shaving, i think that's half the reason i'm doing this..

Edited by hunnicutt

ive met a few women that seem to dislike men without facial hair. often reffered to them as "boys".

I dont think thats quite fair, but still, beard on brother.

Shave every day,

even if u dont need to- to get a thicker set.

Or mach3 power, with beard trimmer (is the best present my beard ever got)

lets u continue keeping the length right

while also seeming to simulate more growth

if you consistently trim hair whilst stimulating

'against the grain'

youll end up getting a nicer,fuller beard. That is,

I shave with the power clippper end of the razor

and while it only leaves stubble, it grows more hair too.

u cant overrate grooming it, massage..

or 'polishing' with the smooth part of your finger nail

and being aware of habitual stroking activity,

and how that ends up encouraging or training

the hair to grow one way or another.

I wanna enchant my goatee with magic tripping power

cos ur chin is an important physiology to certain mind states..

(consideration, pride, aggresion/submission and other emotions

but hair is cool, and hair can work like antenna. Human etheric energy antenna

roots. and there is something cool about..

oh hold up..

yeh, i grew the hair as a kind of self handicap. Same reason i go nightclubbing

in trackpants. While it eventually came to look half good, and women do comment on it

(to my surprise) and it's not so much that its more or less attractive to women, simply that it it is attractive to different kinds of women. But, moustache goatees also hide your face.

I find ppl don't read what im thinking as clearly. But thats parta why i grew it too. Certain actions of my life, seemed to considerably change my face structure.. at times, with such intense tmj bruxism shit, i realised ppl couldn't tell whether i was smiling at them, even when it felt like i was ear-to-earing..anyway, id rather not have facial hair.. but its a convenient and enjoyable mask..

and yeh,

it turned me total bad-ass. I walk up to many ppl, who take 2 steps back..its as if i must look like im about to eat them..and young chicks..they especially seem to dig the badass look..

but see, i got a baby face. so it really has helped some kinda 'man' factor. And now my baby face looks bad ass biker now that im getting a bit less younger, and thats a weird mix.

So to conclude, it is very possible to put too much thought into beards.

I suggest stop now with the idea

and grow a massive mustache that you can use your own ears wax style instead :blink:

Edited by mud
  • Like 2

people usually think i'm much older than i am until they see me bare faced, so yes, you do get treated differently if people misjudge your age. also, get used to not being recognised particularly by children, and get used to people frequently wanting to talk about it, i guess because it's right there so it's an obvious topic.

beards can become a bit itchy after 3 months, or a lot itchy after 3 days, it depends on the person.

the only thing i don't like about having a beard is that your face can't shed it's dead skin properly, even after your third shave after a beard you might still have large patches of dead skin peeling off each day. it's actually visible through the beard so i am constantly trying to scratch off or otherwise remove these skin flakes with limited success.

no advice is needed really. beards grow themselves. shaving is a task, and growing a beard is the neglect of that task.

!

no advice is needed really. beards grow themselves. shaving is a task, and growing a beard is the neglect of that task.

:worship:

• Like 1

Shave every day,

even if u dont need to- to get a thicker set.

Not true.

Shaving does not cause terminal hair to grow back thicker or coarser or darker. This belief is based on the fact that hair which has never been cut has a tapered end, whereas after cutting there is no taper. Thus, the cut hair appears to be thicker, and feels coarser due to the sharper, unworn edges. The fact that shorter hairs are "harder" (less flexible) than longer hairs also contributes to this effect.

Edit: Also, my face refused to properly grow pubes :(

Edited by at0m
  • Like 3

After working for the government in an office for the last 12 months where I had to shave everyday? To working outdoors where personal appearances mean nothing, I've let the beard grow. I only shave now when my daughter comes to visit, as she hassles me to shave it off as well as to stop smoking, which I dont, I just hide from her when I have one lol yes my little girl has me wrapped around her little finger hehe

My advice is- shampoo it with dandruff control shampoo. Takes away the itchyness. I shampoo mine daily. Workmates love my beard, my mum not so much so. I find in a "manly man" work environment possibly u get more respect? Might be something primal involved there?

But yeah wash the bastid daily, unless u want a manky, dandruffy, itchy face.

• Like 2

I myself cant hack it at all,

face pubes i call em, make me feel suss, well susser than normal :)

GO THE CHIN PELT!!!

I find having a beard changes peoples attitude towards me enormously.

When I have a beard many women (women I don't know)become very unfriendly, they give me angry looks and their demeanor is almost hostile. I couldn't give a fuck though, they can think what they want.

Then when I shave I have women and girls go out of their way to be helpful and they are very friendly in general. I go out when I've just shaved and suddenly I have women acting like school girls and normally I can't figure out why until I remember I've shaved.

I grow a beard partly because I don't want that fake superficial bullshit.

now that is interesting. i personally hate anything superficial, i can't stand plastic women and people who act like any sort of personality neurosis is a contagious medical emergency.

so maybe it's good i'm growing this beard then - might filter the organic from the manufactured.

i don't care if it's penelope cruz, if she can't accept me for my personality, she just ain't worth my time. thanks for the input ^

have you also thought about growing a nice patch of back and shoulder hair? Its all the rage now days. There is nothing superficial about:

hairy_hairy_man1.jpg

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie
  • Like 2

You have a beard now, Incog?! Hubba hubba!

Here's a little sneak peak of us at the Oberon camp in a few weeks...

IMG_6585.JPG

Not all woman are turned off by beards and facial hair. My wife would divorce me if I got rid of my moustache. And many of our female friends feel the same. I think the taste for hair is cultural/regional.

And I've gone through periods where I didn't shave for 18+ months and I never get an itch. And I've got very sensitive skin too. Never get skin flakes either.

• Like 2

and when you got yr ned kelly looking good you can post it to this site..hahaha..gotta be a website for everything nowadays! the things one finds with google!

http://www.beards.org/

this is my favourite song. beards rule

Edited by noshiewa
  • Like 1

i kinda love having a beard, but i just cant do it! Looks too much like jesus for me to even take myself seriously..

Is that incog with the cigar? on another note there are dudes in the background with their whinkies out, so it is just like the last oberon camp!

• Like 1

try having long straight brown hair and actually being CALLED jesus everywhere you go.

oh now i remember, you do have long straight brown hair.

Interesting the ideas people have of Jesus' appearance. The Gospels make it quite clear that he wouldn't have had long hair, though, being a practising Jew, he probably did have a beard. Early depictions have him with short hair, and beardless. Amazing how an idea changes through time and place. It's interesting that one of the most sacred figures in Western society also embodies some of the longest held ideas of what a "immoral" person would look like (hippie, hobo, androgynous, philosopher, pagan, dissident, etc).

• Like 1

Edit: I was been childish and mean so I edited myself.

Edited by watertrade

[i just want to make it clear that I'm not a Christian. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Just don't want to have my tent flame bombed at doofs that have SABers present. :o ]

That guy with the cigar is sooooooo AWESOME!!