The Corroboree
Zen Peddler

First subs of 2012 season

Nice pics ballzac

My first subs of the year sighted 22/5/12 in SA.

That's the day a mate and I were going to go out hunting before we both got sick, d'oh!

My first subs of the year sighted 22/5/12 in SA.

Yep...SA is truly on its way....those two are from this mornings excursion... :wub:

post-6036-0-06479700-1338009350_thumb.jp

post-6036-0-06479700-1338009350_thumb.jpg

post-6036-0-06479700-1338009350_thumb.jpg

gallery_1298_174_61705.jpg

gallery_1298_174_219553.jpg

gallery_1298_174_1112364.jpg

gallery_1298_174_886157.jpg

Edited by ballzac

Epic patch man. I haven't seen one like that in probably 5 years.

it was a fine weekend in sydney for mycologists. some suspected that the full moon on june 4th had something to go with the impressive size, variation and ridiculous abundance of specimens. one mycologist who claimed to be the caretaker of the photographed patch agreed it was the biggest fruiting he had seen in the three years he studied the area.

Nature.jpg

Nature2.jpg

NatureSix.jpg

Edited by holymountain
  • Like 7

Those are beauties Holymountain! It's been fun up here looking at all the fungi popping up in the last week but alas subs are no where to be found. Hopefully this 'east coast low' they are predicting produces some weird abundance up this way :lol:

That's a beautiful patch holymountain. Some really nice big specimens and looks like plenty of younguns and pins popping up too.

spectacular holy mountain.

i love the white rimmed subs!

Your a freak HM.

I can just visualise you getting out of the car and stuff just sprouting up around your feet (as usual)

You can always ring me if your too passe to pick them yourself.

• Like 2

I just have to boast: yesterday, in a park a mere 10 minutes walk from my house, I found a patch the likes of which I have never seen before. A gigantic clearing under she-oaks and eucalypts that was at least the size of a basketball court, probably more, covered in hundreds upon hundreds of specimens. I tried to photograph the enormity of the situation, but I couldn't do it justice.

I'm sure with this weather we're having up the coast you'll be finding even more patches like that Marcel. I for one are considering a move down to Sydney for the remainder of the sub season with all the pictures I've seen.

I'm sure with this weather we're having up the coast you'll be finding even more patches like that Marcel. I for one are considering a move down to Sydney for the remainder of the sub season with all the pictures I've seen.

It gets a bit disheartening after a while.

I must have spent hundreds on fuel driving all around this district looking for them for several seasons and never found anything. I found lots of imposters though. I've seen quite a few on the shroomery with the same sad tale.

I wonder what it is about the Sydney climate which is so different to Hunter climate, I'm sure there are places which subs fruit in Sydney which are warmer than places in the hunter :scratchhead:

It's the best season we've seen in years if you're in the right area. I don't get into Melbourne much these days, and it's pretty shit shrooming where I live at the moment unless I'm just not looking in the right places, but I went into Melbourne today and there were subs here and there all over the place. I think I missed this last good flush while it was still fresh, and the spots I looked in are heavily picked, but I still saw a few subs in almost every single mulch bed, and some beauties in secluded locations.

gallery_1298_174_56520.jpg

gallery_1298_174_702741.jpg

• Like 1

I just have to boast: yesterday, in a park a mere 10 minutes walk from my house, I found a patch the likes of which I have never seen before. A gigantic clearing under she-oaks and eucalypts that was at least the size of a basketball court, probably more, covered in hundreds upon hundreds of specimens. I tried to photograph the enormity of the situation, but I couldn't do it justice.

I bet you stood in awe for a bit...looking at a mass of Magical Fungi.

You know i still want to see pics :)

:)

[url=

[url=

Its great to see pictures of all the various shapes/colors that P.sub' can come in.

I reckon pinned thread of P.sub'.... pictures only, showing all the variations would be a good thing to have here.

EDIT: I might start one and if it becomes worthy, maybe naja naja might pin it.

:)

Edited by Amazonian
  • Like 2

I would happily contribute to that thread... Over the years I have noticed a massive difference in colour (dark chocolate brown to almost bright golden yellow), shape, size.... etc. When I first began hunting in Aus, I thought all of the blue bruising finds were all different species. Amazing that they can all be from the same type but grow so differently depending on different things. It would be good to have a documented space for all these different types.

Now that i think about it; I wonder if there is a correlation between stem size and cap differences.

For example: wood chip subs don't have to grow very long, only an inch or so, stems before they are high enough to start putting all their energy into their cap, and they tend to become wavy or umbo as soon as early adulthood arrives...

Subs found in long grass / forest floor with dense debris, on the other hand, grow a massive stem (almost a foot long in some cases) before throwing their energy into the cap, and they tend to stay more convex (or is it concave) and don't become wavy or upturned until they are very old.

Anyone else notice this?