The Corroboree
chnt

Shooting deaths spark call for mental health overhaul

The taser death in north Queensland was just up the road from me.

They tasered the guy more than 30 times. I don't know much about tasers but my understanding is that it stops you in your tracks.

How can they justify using it so much? I believe it would have required several pullings of the trigger. just crazy!

I met the guys son and he couldn't understand it either. really messed up the family!

What I don't understand is why they need 50,000 volts in a stun gun. I know that amps play a big part too but wouldn't a simple solution be to just make a lower powered taser???

I've been shocked with 240V a couple of times and that was enough to give me a good shock.

What I don't understand is why they need 50,000 volts in a stun gun. I know that amps play a big part too but wouldn't a simple solution be to just make a lower powered taser???

I've been shocked with 240V a couple of times and that was enough to give me a good shock.

The voltage has to be enough to paralyze the victim. When you were shocked with 240V, the current would have been high, which is much more dangerous. In fact, to make it even safer, the voltage would be increased, allowing the current to be reduced and lowering the risk of shock. It's probably not easy to produce a potential of more than 50kV in a hand-held device.