The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
theuserformallyknownasd00d

my first hunt in "the gong"

Question

hey guys this morning i went for my first ever pick around Wollongong, I only got into hunting last sub season down in the riverina, and after researching for the last 2 hours I am still completely lost as to what we came across.. incase anybody asked, no there were no obvious signs of blueing :-P here are some pics, any help would be very appreciated!

specimen 1: found growing on native/pine matter amongst common lawn grass

post-9832-0-32029000-1330740003_thumb.jp

post-9832-0-38094900-1330740046_thumb.jp

specimen 2: found on native plant matter and woodchips

post-9832-0-69132300-1330740077_thumb.jp

post-9832-0-21460500-1330740093_thumb.jp

specimen 3: found on native plant matter and woodchips

post-9832-0-06710900-1330740127_thumb.jp

post-9832-0-01920000-1330740166_thumb.jp

specimen 4: found on two month old wood chips under eucalypts. the site had recently been "renewed" and more woodchips layed down over existing matter..

post-9832-0-59248600-1330740202_thumb.jp

post-9832-0-33376000-1330740231_thumb.jp

specimen 5: found on two month old wood chips under eucalypts. the site had recently been "renewed" and more woodchips layed down over existing matter..

post-9832-0-82182200-1330740295_thumb.jp

post-9832-0-41699900-1330740320_thumb.jp

specimen 6: found on two month old wood chips under eucalypts. the site had recently been "renewed" and more woodchips layed down over existing matter..

post-9832-0-17546400-1330740350_thumb.jp

post-9832-0-93054100-1330740387_thumb.jp

and lastly one we named "redrocket" which was found with spec 4-6

post-9832-0-14443000-1330740417_thumb.jp

1a.JPG

1b.JPG

2a.JPG

2b.JPG

3a.JPG

3b.JPG

4a.JPG

4b.JPG

5a.JPG

5b.JPG

6a.JPG

6b.JPG

redrocket.JPG

1a.JPG

1b.JPG

2a.JPG

2b.JPG

3a.JPG

3b.JPG

4a.JPG

4b.JPG

5a.JPG

5b.JPG

6a.JPG

6b.JPG

redrocket.JPG

Cheers myco, the pan foe/subb thing still interests me, next spring ill be going on plenty of hunts to suss them out

I'll keep checking this spot again for more possible purps to photograph

D00d

Thanks myco, can you help out with some habitat description? I found some earlier, photographed above in first post, growing on lawn and some native mulch.. is this the norm?

D00d

Hmm, none of them look like subs to me. Some of the pics looks quite similar though.

Isn't it still a bit early in the season for subs in Oz?

The last one looks like a Mutinus species.

Your red rocket is Phallus rubicundus

Hmm, none of them look like subs to me. Some of the pics looks quite similar though.

Isn't it still a bit early in the season for subs in Oz?

yeh were still having 20-28'C days here with nights into the 15-20's also. Im just keen on getting these guys mapped out as possible indicators for other, more useful fungi..

Your red rocket is Phallus rubicundus

thanks man, fuck it freaked us out at first!

Number 5 looks a bit subby to my newb eyes. But the rest don't look very promising.

Have you printed any?

Im gonna go out for my first sus in a week or two :) keeping a very close eye on the forecast ATM getting excited as a motherfucker lol absolutely love early morning bush walks even if you don't find anything :)

1st one may be a pan foenisecii or something very similiar. I have found similiar that were active in the 5-10g range but different to psilo's.

5 looks like it might be agaricus.

Looks like you had fun :)

oh shruman, plenty of fun! And i havent even hit the mountains yet :-P

Nah man aint subs, there a type ive seen all over the gong since october...

As for prints im heading back tommorrow to print no.5 and no.6

D00d

Sorry d00d. No subs there.

1. Maybe a Marasmius oreades. Probably some sort of Panaeolus spp. The hygrophanous cap suggests so.

2. Possible Mycena spp, but hard to tell without a sense of scale. Might just be the same as specimen 1.

3. Not sure. LBM?!

4. Xerula australis.

5. Dunno. Some Agaricus spp perhaps?

6. Some sort of Hypholoma spp

7. Phallus rubicundus

If 1 is indeed a Panaeolus foenisecii, I wouldn't bother with it. It could be something unpleasant instead, and the activity of pan foes is a matter of intense debate, with most mycologists weighing in with the "inactive" call.

I know people who find subs in the Illawarra region. But not until later in the season. If you don't mind a short drive to the Southern Highlands, the season there could be happening in a few weeks.

Good luck!

• Like 1

If the 1st one keys out as Pan foe except with a jet black spore print then they are active at the apropriate dose in my experience.

More similiar to MDMA than Psilo.

I'm no mycologist but defo worth it in my experience. I have my doubts wether they are the same species or a sub species or just a highly variable species in regard to spore colour & effects.

If you're really keen on Pans, rinse the spores in sulfuric acid, and if the colour fades at all, then they aren't pans. But Pans will certainly have jet black spore prints.

Interested to hear more about your pan foe experiences shruman. Never heard of anyone having any action with those guys before! That's pretty interesting if it's a repeatable experience.

Pan foes should have walnut brown spore print Marcel but they are no longer in Paneleous & are considered Paneolina now.

I first tried them when a member sent me some from SE QLD. I found my own shortly after, we were under the impression they were Pan subbs because of the spore print but I now believe they are closer to Pan foe. Experiments were repeatable for me & more than a few others.

Got a few posts on here about them if you UTSE in alot I call them Pan subbs but I do'nt believe they are anymore.

• Like 1

hmmm very interesting marcel & shruman..

shruman I will go back to this patch and get some fresher specimens for a spore print.. so what your saying is for an active "pan foe/pan subb/Paneolina" then we all should be looking for a brown spore print and not jet black? sorry if you've already said this somewhere but it would be great to get it clarified in this thread also.. everywhere ive read says to go for a jet black spore print when trying to ID active "pan foe/pan subb/Paneolina".

some older info on erowid seems very promising, but all subjects seem to be kids and the ID and how they came about dont seem very reliable..

d00d

oh and just to throw it out there (always keen on a free feed)

has anybody ever eaten any of the above in prepared food? im finding a few are edible..

d00d

Well, given that we're only 100% sure on the Xerula australis and the Phallus rubicundus (neither of which are edible), I'd say that you probably shouldn't eat anything from your photos.

I have only found Pan foes with black spore prints Dood. If it keys out as Pan foe but with a black (as oposed to brown as classicaly described) spore print I have found they are active at 5-10g dried dose.

Good luck.

I agree do'nt eat them unless you are 100% sure.

i read before posting my last comment that x. Australis is edible, not much info besides saying it was.. Ill post the link when im on my laptop to see what you think. They are a rather beautiful species to look at, id imagine they'd plate beautifuly in a stirfy if one were 100% sure of their edibility hehe

Thanks for the replies guys, i have lined up to visit a horse property wednesday, hopefully some pan cyans are out, it will be 17-25'c with 20-30ml of rain expected. How long does it take for these guys to pin and fruit after a decent downpour? Do they hang around for long? Sorry but its hard to find details like this, experienced legends like yourselves are invaluable to me, and id imagine this community. Thanks alot.

D00d

hey guys, went and checked out a few new areas today, found these guys under some casuarinas attached to a dying log, they wouldnt be gym purps would it? heres some pics

post-9832-0-55805300-1338092677_thumb.jp

post-9832-0-69752500-1338092728_thumb.jp

the stem looked very blue/grey and the cap looks very gym purp. they are fairly dry as we've only had 7mm of rain in the last few months but hopefully the picking comes good soon!

d00d

IMAG0200.jpg

IMAG0203.jpg

IMAG0200.jpg

IMAG0203.jpg

Hard to say from the pics their a bit old and fucked

But by the location and pics I would say they are very possibly purps :)

I have only found Pan foes with black spore prints Dood. If it keys out as Pan foe but with a black (as oposed to brown as classicaly described) spore print I have found they are active at 5-10g dried dose.

Good luck.

I agree do'nt eat them unless you are 100% sure.

If they look like foes but have a black spore print that would make them not foes

that would mean they are subbalteatus which is active

And would be why your getting effects from them

I'm very intrigued by this Pan. Foe (which ironically seems to be very friendly). If you guys have any further information, I'll all ears (and eyes, and mouth and nose).

Pan foes are inactive however pan Subbs are active

The 2 can often look almost identical

Pan foes do have a dark brown spore print wich can often look very much black it takes a very close look and is very helpful to have a comparison there was a pic somewhere of a foe and subb print side by side wich is a good comparison

You have to remember a subb print will be jet black as they say it should be completely devoid of any color

Pan foe prints are not a real noticeable brown color they virtually look black

Take a very close look :)

Pan foes and pan Subbs are mainly found growing in grass from wat I know

But apparently Subbs are also common on horse shit to I think that is more common in other countries though I may be wrong

But Most of wat I've seen and heard for Australia your best bet would be looking in lawns