The Corroboree
Bert&Ernie

Jwerta's seedling grafts

I just did my first seedling grafts onto Pereskiopsis the seedlings were Trichocereus spachianus and i thought id share some pictures

post-7916-0-53783200-1330431110_thumb.jp

post-7916-0-36950700-1330431089_thumb.jp

I shall update later if they take :)

post-7916-0-36950700-1330431089_thumb.jpg

post-7916-0-53783200-1330431110_thumb.jpg

post-7916-0-36950700-1330431089_thumb.jpg

post-7916-0-53783200-1330431110_thumb.jpg

penis

Excellent work! I look forward to my first attempt at grafting.

(edit: also, penis)

Edited by hava

lol its just my finger on the camera... i knew i should have taken these pics when the grafts where out of the fish tank

nice one jwerta :)

• Like 1

nice one jwerta :)

thanks

I really hope they take

Nice work jwerta. If they dont take, my number one guess would be the alignement? looks almost perfectly central? should have offset a tiny bit more perhaps....might still be all good though...when you remove em from the humidity make sure they stillg et very little light for the first month

i put mine near a southerly facing window

where they get no direct sunlight but still get good light all day

and i put them there as soon as they are grafted with out any problems at all :)

yea I tried to offset them a little bit so they are not perfectly central it probably just looks like that in the pic

I've got them under my back balcony which has like a roof with a few bit that light a tiny amount of light so they are not getting any direct sunlight

Have been looking at both pics for quite some time but i still cant see the Penis. :(

• Like 1

haha, me neither. I spent ages looking for penis yesterday.

Good work jwerta, please keep us updated. I am surprised that it can be done with such a small seedling.

• Like 1

I think the penis every one is referring to is in the top left corner of the second picture

It seems like they are taking but i shall wait until the graft fattens up to really confirm that...

Howe long does it usually take for them to start getting fatter?

edit: inappropriate spelling mistakes :P

Edited by jwerta
  • Like 2

I think the penis every one is referring to is in the top left corner of the second picture

i shall wait until the fatten up to really confirm that...

:lol:

It seems like they are taking but i shall wait until the fatten up to really confirm that...

Dont bother. Have been waiting half my life for it to get a bit thicker but still dont see no great improvement. :lol:

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 3

:) ahahah

Okay guys it seems like the grafts have taken

ive just got a few questions

how long until i can take them out of humidity?

and when can i introduce them to the sun?

I keep mine in high humidity for about a week some people go 2 weeks

Both the seeding and the stock like humidity so as long as there is nothing funky going on like orange discolouration at the join there is no rush

You would want to move them into the shade for a while before slowly moving into direct sun you don't want to burn your babies

I grow mine out under lights until they have a few sets of spines and then if they are going outside they go out in the shade first

Congrats on your first grafts :)

Cheers

Got

i'm sure they will take, and let me add two more things.

one, i never use any humidety dome or setup, but i used to at the beginning, my view is, its overkill, and bothersome. i noticed no difference, with or without a dome. but using a dome doesn't hurt either, so, do how you feel is right for you.

the second thing though, might improofe your work in the future. 2d2h recommanded the offset, and you said, i did offset. your pics show a larger diametre peres, than the seedling diametre, this means, you might have to offset, but it definately means you will have a lot of surface area of the peres which will form calluse. it's better to grow/produce/select, only peres which tip is of the same diametre, like the seedling!! like this it will fit nicely and no moisturewill get lost, and no surface will have to dry out and form calluse. aswell it means the offset issues get avoided!!

the best grafts are the one which fitted perfectly, in the first place, that's propably why, i don't need to use a humidety dome either.

grafting is fun! :)

thanks to both of you for your very good information its very helpful

nice grafts mate :)

On my first try I had a l. williamsii on a cereus rootstock. The graft took, but about 3 weeks later a slug climbed up 1 metre of cereus to eat half of the grafted cacti at the very top. hardly worth the energy expenditure for me or the slug!

hardly worth the energy expenditure for me or the slug!

was most certainly worth it for the slug at least ;)

• Like 1

just a quick update

one graft has done allot and the other not much at all mainly because the pere was pushing out some off shoots... so I ripped it off a couple of days ago hopefully the small graft will start growing a bit more now.

I've taken the out of humidity and i will probably start putting them into the sun once its not as hot

post-7916-0-04119300-1332647921_thumb.jp

one quick question as well why has the graft gone such a weird colour?

post-7916-0-04119300-1332647921_thumb.jpg

post-7916-0-04119300-1332647921_thumb.jpg

Edited by jwerta

General indicator of Stress from grafting and the light. Usually, this doesnt affect success rates though.

well it's in a pretty dark place. and it doesn't seem to be getting too much stress

They are funny things some go straight away others take a month or so to go. I can't work it out, some of mine go ballistic adn others you wait and then they kick. I know a lot of pees re-graft slugish ones that don't grow well after a month or so.

All my peres grafts go funky colours initially then they get back to normal, I don't know why I guess too much nutes / energy??

They are funny things some go straight away others take a month or so to go. I can't work it out, some of mine go ballistic adn others you wait and then they kick. I know a lot of pees re-graft slugish ones that don't grow well after a month or so.

All my peres grafts go funky colours initially then they get back to normal, I don't know why I guess too much nutes / energy??

Yea that kind of what I was thinking