The Corroboree

you can try your hand at something a little tougher than wood once you get the feel for the dremel.

First go.... was Steel..........

Hmm, so I popped my cherry with the new dremel this arvo, and cut off two handles on a big stainless steel saucepan that I am modifying. Using the 38mm cutting wheel (the one to fit the Speedclic mandrel) I chewed through two of them ! Can anyone recommend where the get their ttachements rom, for a cheap price? The best I can find are around $2 each, which seems a bit rich if I'm going to go through a few at a time.

And I have discovered that I really need safety goggles. Red hot metal shards in the eyes is no fun, let me tell you.

I need to find the right attachment now to sand the remaining steel back.

^ Ok... your typing here, so you still have your fingers,lol. To sand back the remaining steel...If there is no accessory that came with the set, i would suggest a good old fashioned file, and a bit of muscle.

I buy most of my bits from the internet, and you could probably buy bulk of what ever it is that you need that way, but most of the cheaper stuff comes from overseas and you'll have to wait a few weeks.

And YES...please get some eye protection. Regret is no fun.

:)

Edited by Amazonian

Your work is just so beautiful . I think you may be right in not letting it become a job , for then it might become a chore . Having said that , clearly you are gifted , and could make a living from it should you choose . I just love what you're doing - art from stone .

• Like 1

What a crafty queen you are!

That twist pendant must have been a fiddly piece to work on!

I watched my partner trying to make one from ebony and it fell to pieces before he even got close to completing it.

I loove the mortar and pestle too, just big enough to grind your sea salt and black pepper for one meal.. I bet you're a good cook too.. A wonder woman in fact!

• Like 1

Wow that mortar and pestle is fantastic you ever make more put me down for one.

• Like 1

What a crafty queen you are!

That twist pendant must have been a fiddly piece to work on!

I watched my partner trying to make one from ebony and it fell to pieces before he even got close to completing it.

I loove the mortar and pestle too, just big enough to grind your sea salt and black pepper for one meal.. I bet you're a good cook too.. A wonder woman in fact!

The twist was a wee bit tricky. I didn't really get it perfect. I carved it for my self, and i don't go to as much trouble as i do if i am making something for someone else. But it looks alright on. I just got some Gibon ebony to work with, so i will soon find out how workable it is. I hope your partner didn't give up. Encourage him bogfrog.

The mortar and pestle is really just for display. It would have been nice to have made it a bit bigger so it was usable, but i didn't have a lot of jade big enough to work with.

Wow that mortar and pestle is fantastic you ever make more put me down for one.

It seems a few of us have a mortar and pestle fetish,lol. I gave the one i carved away to another mortar and pestle fancier who loves it. If i did make another one, i think i would keep it as it was really was quite neat hey. But i will keep you in mind Moses :).

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Wooooah, so cool amz.. that spiral pendant is amazing, the mushroom is so very cute and the mortar and pestle.. wow, neat stuff.

• Like 1

You have skills to pay the Bills Amazonian. Can't wait to get a jerb, because I think my partner would love one of those leaf necklaces :)

• Like 1

awesome work chick! very inspiring.

you must be very gifted to pull off the twist. i brought one in a picture frame for my partner, i find myself gawking at it alot. it really calms me.

the maori meanings for the twists:

Single Twist

A Maori twist symbolises the path of life. It is believed to have been based on Maori kete basket weaving. The path of life takes many twists and turns but carries on regardless. In the case of the Single Twist, the design simply means the path of life and can be called the Maori Eternity Symbol.

Double or Triple Twist

The Double and Triple Twist depict two new shoots growing together - it represents the joining of cultures, the bonding of friendship for life. The design shows the joining of two people in love or friendship for eternity, so makes a wonderful wedding or friendship gift. The Twist can also relate to the joining of two peoples or cultures.

so it might make a great gift for a special someone.

also theres a carver i buy hunks of nz jade from just because i love it, haven't tryed any carving yet. its cheap as if anyone wants some?

Edited by 2meke
  • Like 1

I had read about what the twists symbolize but i had forgotten, thanks for the refresher 2meke :)/> . Do you have a link for the jade supplier, i am interested.

@ all SABers, This is my 2000 post. I had planned on an awesome seed/plant give away, but i don't have everything sorted as yet. But soon...Very soon !

post-7430-0-11318000-1351119454_thumb.pn

Edit: as for my 2000 post give away.... things didn't go as planned and the highlight of the give away never turned up in my letterbox, so I couldn't share. I have other things coming along but am just waiting for cuttings to strike and flowers to seed. Ho hum.

2000 post.png

2000 post.png

Edited by Amazonian
  • Like 3

What are you doing out of bed at 9:47am Amz?? Get it together! Haha - nice work on 2k posts :P

• Like 1

GIFTED :) , what an amazing person, Artist, Photographer, sculptor, cacti lover & 2000 post :worship: I'm sure the list goes on :lol:

• Like 1

OMG that mortar and pestle is awesome! Well it's all awesome quite frankly. You creat some absolutely beautiful art Amz.

The reason I like the M&P is that it reminds me of a mini agate M&P I used years ago grinding some samples up in KBr for IR spectroscopy. At the time I remember thinking "This micro mortar and pestle is the coolest thing, I'd love to have one at home!". Then I looked up the price lol. Put an end to that dream. Maybe one day.

Anyway, great work Amazonian!

• Like 1

And my favorite carving of all so far ...is a miniature mortar and pestle :)

post-7430-0-09766300-1350991669_thumb.jp post-7430-0-54639000-1350991655_thumb.jp post-7430-0-80486600-1350991642_thumb.jp

omg amz, is that the same mortar and pestle in shots 2&3?? your hand must be a pixies hand, or that lighter is freakishly huge!

^ LOL. Trick photography , my hand is of normal size. But i noticed exactly the same thing chilli :)

Still working on my photographic skills. i will get there.

Hi Amz - I really admire your art indeed . Should you ever decide to take on " jobs " , I would very like to place an order for a simple pendant inscribed with a Celtic rune , as a gift for a friend .... [ please PM one day should it ever become possible ]

• Like 1

Thanks for the admiration :) .

Jade carving really isn't that hard. You just need a small rotary tool, a few diamond bits, and some emery paper of various grades. Any one can do it. :)

I shall keep you in mind Heretic.

Loving your work Amazonian.

Just stumbled across this thread and I think it's time to work on those pieces I was discussing with you. :)

• Like 1

Cheers karode13.

You have the materials, so totally, get onto it. I reckon you will be great at carving. :)

I think many people spend too much time being a 'gunna', instead of a 'do-er'. I am the most guilty of this.

a motto of mine is ...... NIKE.

post-7430-0-91342900-1352178760_thumb.pn

nikejustdoit.png

nikejustdoit.png

Edited by Amazonian

I finished carving the four leaf clover that Miss 11 requested. I know four leaf clovers are like father Christmas and the tooth fairy etc... but i remember finding four leaf clovers as a kid, and thinking how great it was. So who am i to take that fantasy away from my kids. If you believe in something enough, then any thing is possible...right..??!

Anyway... so the carving isn't as good as i hoped, but i was sort of pushed for time as i wanted to give it to her as a Christmas gift. To me it represents 4 love hearts,lol...a fitting gift for a mother to give a her daughter i reckon.

Here is the 'shamrock'. It is roughly the size of a 10 cent bit.

post-7430-0-82496700-1356343636_thumb.jp post-7430-0-09837700-1356343663_thumb.jp

Jade clover.jpg

Shamrock pendant.jpg

Jade clover.jpg

Shamrock pendant.jpg

• Like 8

That's awesome, I'm sure she'll love it :)

• Like 1

^ :) .cheers Alice, yeah , she loves it .