The Corroboree

Here are a few pics of my latest creations. I need to improve my photography skills too i think. Its a bit tricky trying to take a photo of something that reflects light like a mirror.

Both pieces are carved from jade. The peace is carved from what is known as frog skin jade, and has splatters of green through it.

The spiral took about 14 hours to complete. Jade is such a tough material.

Anyway... here they are,.. I tried to be artistic and get a photo of the spiral on the beach with waves lapping over it,,, but i failed,lol.

These carvings are not perfect, but i think i am getting better. :)

A Spiral...

post-7430-0-59560800-1336435975_thumb.jp post-7430-0-34859500-1336435979_thumb.jp

And a symbol of Peace.

post-7430-0-75999700-1336435986_thumb.jp

:)

sea spiral.jpg

Spiral jade.jpg

Peace.jpg

sea spiral.jpg

Spiral jade.jpg

Peace.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Amz,

The best place to get 'top of the line' diamond tip drill bits is the dentist! I wanted to carve soapstone and asked my dentist if he could save his used drill bits for me. He already had a box full and gave them to me. Even after they've tortured many a poor souls mouth, they are still razor sharp when they replace them. And the best bit (pun) - is that they are quite weird/wonderfull shapes and sizes - some of them are trapezoid, cylinders, ovals etc.. I asked the price of one of the bits new and they're into the low hundreds... Worth a shot anyway - dentists just throw them out. A used precision tool is often better than a new cheap one...

Love your work by the way, very beautiful. I've just started polishing Entada Rheedi seeds, and i find myself in faeryland for hours just polishing away...

• Like 1

Hey Indian Dreaming , I have looked at dentist burrs online, but yeah, i am a cheap skate ,lol. Its a good idea to ask a dentist to save bits for me, smart thinking 99.( But would i be inviting the vibe of the patient the bit was used on into my carving?. I try and put positive energy into my amulets/carvings so the receiver can benefit, and enjoy the item :) ) .

*Googles Entada Rheedi seeds.. Wow,, they are huge. I love the way the seed pod hangs from the tree. Why did you have to show me them,lol.

I too get lost in my creations, and have over cooked a few family meals as i become engrossed in my work (its not work, its fun/therapeutic)

Edited by Amazonian

@Psylo - I've got an Ozito drill and orbital sander. They're fine for small jobs but pretty lame for any serious use. My brother inlaw flogs his, they have a 1 yr warranty and he just takes it back and swaps it over, new tool, new warranty - he's gone through 4 orbital sanders for the price of 1. I personally don't like that attitude as they're probably landfill now. I borrowed my mates top of the line 18v Makita powerdrill and I can't use my little ozito anymore, good tools = good work and less accidents since you're not forcing the tool above its limits. $20 for a powertool as opposed to $400, I guess it depends on your use. I also have a crappy hand engraver thingo... not worth the plastic it's made of - dremel is the go.

Lol - I'm not sure about the vibe left over in the drills, but I can only assume it may be a mixed message i.e. Omg this tooth hurts... Omg the sound of the drill is horrible... Oh yeah, that feels so smooth and nice, I love you drill!

Maybe Stick it on a crystal on your window sill for healing before use :-)

Here's a picture of my Sea Bean - I love it and carry it with me all the time, it's part of my pocket collection now. I've heard of people making them into necklaces, pill/snuff boxes etc... a small jewelers hinge and a nice clean cut and you're good to go! Also you can eat/smoke the embryo(s) for their entheogenic effects (which I am as yet to try, I haven't cracked one open yet but love Calea/Mugwort so I'm very excited to try soon)

post-11189-0-70312700-1336439706_thumb.j

post-11189-0-70312700-1336439706_thumb.jpg

post-11189-0-70312700-1336439706_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Is that a Sea Bean in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me... :P

They are an impressive size those seeds!!!. I want some now. I did read that they can be used as a dream herb hey :) .

I suppose i could 'cleanse' the discarded dentist bits. They would be perfect for fine carving.

Haha - so cheeky... :P

I have a few at home, I can send you a couple if you like (pm if interested).

how long did it take you to make the peace symbol?

cant wait to see a mushroom carving as a necklace ;)

I love how polished the 2nd lot look very professional i must say !

• Like 2

Lol - I'm not sure about the vibe left over in the drills, but I can only assume it may be a mixed message i.e. Omg this tooth hurts... Omg the sound of the drill is horrible... Oh yeah, that feels so smooth and nice, I love you drill!

Maybe Stick it on a crystal on your window sill for healing before use :-)

Here's a picture of my Sea Bean - I love it and carry it with me all the time, it's part of my pocket collection now. I've heard of people making them into necklaces, pill/snuff boxes etc... a small jewelers hinge and a nice clean cut and you're good to go! Also you can eat/smoke the embryo(s) for their entheogenic effects (which I am as yet to try, I haven't cracked one open yet but love Calea/Mugwort so I'm very excited to try soon)

post-11189-0-70312700-1336439706_thumb.j

IndianDreaming - I think this is a Sea Bean - never thought of carving it, I rub mine (like a worry stone) until they are glossy. Does it look like the Sea Beans you have? (Sorry, it's a terrible pic!)

Just let me remember how to upload to here... <rolls eyes> ;)

post-88-0-97633800-1336458959_thumb.jpg

Edited by gem

Hi Gem - Yes, that's the one :-)

Apparently there's a few types of sea beans - and quite the active community i've just discovered (ah google my old friend ;-) http://www.seabean.com/

Entada Rheedii is the one I have, and looks to be the one you have too (search SAB, some great info on them). I bought a few off the internet and they were quite rough and rugged, but a bit of #200 then #600 sand paper brings them to a magical shine! Here's some un-touched ones - beautiful colours, I love them.

post-11189-0-04112400-1336462048_thumb.j

(Sorry to hijack your thread Amz... :blush: )

post-11189-0-04112400-1336462048_thumb.jpg

post-11189-0-04112400-1336462048_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

"Is that a Sea Bean in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me"

Haha - so cheeky... :P

I have a few at home, I can send you a couple if you like (pm if interested).

*washes mouth out with soap whilst chanting the 'I am a nice girl' mantra. lol.

I would love a seed or two IndianDreaming. Maybe you would like some jade to carve. PM'd.

And no worries on the 'hijack'... its all very interesting, and I have a tendency to go off topic too. :)

Cheers.

how long did it take you to make the peace symbol?

I lost count at about the seventh hour ( i do these in time blocks, not sit for several hours). I guess it took about 10 hours :)

• Like 1

Okk. Amazonian, now you have me hooked on the idea of ur Mushrooms, ur lophs iwant one anotheer forum member has offered me a carving, says they are pro. Carvers but they want $300 cmon, work with me AMAZONIAN////

^ lol. I will PM you evil and maybe we can work something out.

Thank You ^ psycosynthesis. Yeah, i have to agree, Jade stone is a mineral full of value... i don't mean monetary, i mean for its beauty and properties etc...

• Like 1

sooo, I got a Dremel 3000 for my birthday among other awesome things things, any suggestions on what i can destroy as a learning experience ? Ideally I'll be using it to cut component holes in boxes for system automation project builds, but i wouldnt mind doing something for fun. Should I start with a lump of wood?

I'm no expert but maybe quartz or wood

sooo, I got a Dremel 3000 for my birthday among other awesome things things, any suggestions on what i can destroy as a learning experience ? Ideally I'll be using it to cut component holes in boxes for system automation project builds, but i wouldnt mind doing something for fun. Should I start with a lump of wood?

Got any friends that need a tooth reshaped? ;)

Dremels are fun to use, and there are may added extras you can get to go with it. A pretty good multi purpose tool i reckon.

Wood is pretty easy to carve, and you get a quick result. Soft woods like pine are a bit too easy to carve (in my opinion), as the revs of a dremel at the lowest speed is like 5000rpm, and with a sharp bit, it really hacks into a bit of pine before you have blinked.

Maybe start off with a simple design Psylo . I am sure you will enjoy your new toy. You will find it most useful.

Oh yeah, the Dremel is handy as an engraver too, so you can initial your tools etc...

NegativeDave mentioned an Arbortech, and now i want one. I would like to make a totem pole for the outside of my retreat, and that power tool would be perfect for the job.

Edited by Amazonian
  • Like 1

Hi Amz, yea, I will love it, I was given a 100 piece accessories kit with it as well. As I said it's mostly for build projects,but I'll get my feet wet with some whimsical stuff first before I start tearing into expensive electronics cases.

I was actually really close to buying an Ozito three days before I was given the dremel, but Bunnings had no price marked on it so I thought 'stuff it' and come back next week.

I know what I'll do - carve a gargoyle into the top of a tomato stake. That will scare the snails off my bloody garden.

• Like 1

Hi Amz, yea, I will love it, I was given a 100 piece accessories kit with it as well. As I said it's mostly for build projects,but I'll get my feet wet with some whimsical stuff first before I start tearing into expensive electronics cases.

I was actually really close to buying an Ozito three days before I was given the dremel, but Bunnings had no price marked on it so I thought 'stuff it' and come back next week.

I know what I'll do - carve a gargoyle into the top of a tomato stake. That will scare the snails off my bloody garden.

The accessories that come in one of those kits are pretty good, and there is likely to be a few diamond bits in there, so you can try your hand at something a little tougher than wood once you get the feel for the dremel.

I hate it when things are not priced, like at the Sunday market, i hate asking how much is that, and when they say an astronomical price, you feel a bit awkward putting the item down,lol. Also, when the bar code system came in, i had a terrible time adjusting to that. I prefer the old fashioned method where there is a price tag on the item.

It doesn't matter what you carve, as long as you enjoy the process. I find it very rewarding and therapeutic.

I have a few things i have been working on lately, and will be uploading some pics when they are finished....stay tuned.

• Like 1