The Corroboree
Jonstn

Chilli seed germination guide

A page on Facebook posted this guide for germinating chillies so I thought id share, just screenshotted off my phone but it does the trick

b398c79c.jpg

ac1e36e3.jpg

8b4548b0.jpg

ca6ad507.jpg

d06182b9.jpg

daf95b14.jpg

1683d21f.jpg

c335c53b.jpg

997ef847.jpg

Hope this helps some of ya's out there :) Facebook can be good for something I guess lol

• Like 2

cool i like this quite a bit i have always had a bit of trouble germinating chilli seeds

Thanks for posting

No worried mate, I gotta invest in a heated propagator, seen them at Bunnings for $40 - 60 would come in handy for a lot :)

yea i find they are not needed to much if your not germinating shit loads of seeds i can usually just put them on top of my TV or computer and that stays hot enough

I think the extra transplant stage is bad advice. and overall this doesnt even warrant a tek. Sow straight into your punnets, kids, and fuck facebook

• Like 3

Fair enough psylo, I'm not a fan of transplanting seedlings either just like to let em sit and do their thing.

Gonna try the chamomile tea though, and look into heated propagator or maybe just a heat mat

i'm no fan of the take away container methode either, apart from using it for cacti.

but any methode has it's up's and down's.

advantages are here, that you don't have to rewater often, and that it's neat and clean.

a dangerous downside, happens, if you forget to check your seedlings, because they will grow leggy and aswell become humidety addicts, which is a bad thing.

i would take the lid off right away, when the first seedling emerged.

if you leave the seedlings in high humidety, you will have to harden them out, and worse, if you forgot them for a while, than they will die once you take the lid off. the seedlings in the pic, already look "leggy" to me.

i think aswell that, putting 1cm of perlite, underneath the good potting mix, as is recommanded, is not good, because it leads to, different water horizont's. i explain, perlite has total different, osmotic and general water holding properties, than, good potting mix, so you will end up, with layers which contain, different amounts of water, air, nutrients and so on, plants generaly hate that, if that happens.

but, having said all of this, i'm sure that this methode, will work realy well for some people. specialy the ones which like to do something, and than want to forget about it for a while, because one doesn't have to re water.

the "taking the lid off moment" is very crucial, with this tek, if you forget to do it, than you will stuff up.

as said, i would, remove the lid, once the first seedlings emerged, if you wait till they "hit the lid" they will already be made out of soft tissue, instead of strong tissue.

aswell, seedlings need air flow, or better even mild wind, to make the tissue, and the stem strong!

Edited by planthelper
  • Like 1

Would the soaking it in tea actually help though or could you just use water? i think thats why i have never had any germinate they weren't kept moist enough

let's whoa that horse up. This is a forum with a primary core subject matter of botany, yet we are being fed (shitty) advice from a facebook page ? Am I the only one who finds this disgusting?

I'm sure growing chillis from seed is some secret knowledge and all, what with only 4.5 million google hits when searching growing chili peppers from seeds

Fuck facebook. Seriously guys.

let's whoa that horse up. This is a forum with a primary core subject matter of botany, yet we are being fed (shitty) advice from a facebook page ? Am I the only one who finds this disgusting?

I'm sure growing chillis from seed is some secret knowledge and all, what with only 4.5 million google hits when searching growing chili peppers from seeds

Fuck facebook. Seriously guys.

we all know your stand on facebook Psylo no need to spam every other thread with your facebook hate

edit: i dont like Facebook ether but no need to keep saying it mate and the reason i come here is so i dont have to use that evil google

Edited by jwerta

Sorry psylo, didn't realise chilli germination wasn't botany related :P

does that mean I can't grab stuff from wiki and put it here because wiki isn't a botany website?

I'm just givin ya shit :P

Facebook is poo, but figured if share that "tek" anyways to see what you guys thought.

oh BTW, the person did say this isn't textbook, just what works best for them from personal experience.

the reason i come here is so i dont have to use that evil google

You don't use google ? :blink:

Im off to pepper a popular muscle car forum with some mechanical advice I read in the Women's Weekly.

I havnt been able to find anything really about chilli germination on the forum, some general growing and fert threads but that's about it.

To my newbness it didn't seem too bad, but I'm glad I put it here and it got shot down because now that methods pushed to the side.

Maybe I could get rid of the pics and just make it a thread about peoples preferred method of germing, you can find a butt tonne of different ways to grow em on google, probably even find that same FB method on a completely different site. It's a pain in the ass sifting through countless bullshit websites for one spec of gold lol.

Chili seeds do not require cold stratification

Chili seeds do no require dormancy conditioning

Chili seeds do not require toxin leaching

Chili seeds do not require scarification/nicking

Chili seeds do not require the use of GA3

Where is the complexity in growing chili from seed? Unlike other plants, there is absolutely nothing special or unique about the process. Put them in soil and keep warm & moist. That's it. I'll do a pictorial later. It will be a bucket of dirt and a bottle of water. To make it seems technical, I'll take shot from 17 different angles.

How man 'likes' did that guy's page get?

• Like 1

I love looking at dirt :) looking forward to your pics!!!!!!!!!!!

Didnt think they needed much effort, the only ones I've had trouble germinating is the varieties on the hotter end of the scale.

They got a fair few likes and praises, it's the kernow chilli farm Facebook page, they mainly sell powders and sauces. Based in Europe somewhere I'm pretty sure.

P.S I'd prefer at least 18-20 different angles of your soil :)

Jonstn, thats an interesting tip you shared about soaking seeds in tea. Generally its best used for getting old seeds 'over the line'

with the idea being that the tannins released from the tea soften the seed coat more than just plain water and make it easier for the

life to bust through.

What the FB tek didnt add was that it works best if the tea (or teabag) is re-boiled before using. Thats because

the 1st hit of boiling water doesnt really leach out the tannin too well. It needs to stew abit then hit again for best results

• Like 1

cheers for the post. rekon ill try the soaking in tea next time. have been meaning to try warm water, have heard someone mention before to plant seeds like you are putting them to bed. tuck em in nice and warm.

I have to say I support Psylo in stating that Chilli's (Solanum's in general) aren't good at transplanting, especially when this young. Single or double sowing in to plugs is the way to go, so the roots are disturbed as little as possible when dropping in to the soil. Most of the time, I get good success with direct sowing - so long as I can keep the slugs away. Saying that, if I do have trouble germinating and decide to use a heat mat - several seeds in a pot, transplant when ready and thin out to the strongest plant.

The tek is overkill for Chilli's, but it's actually a useful process for other seedlings, so don't discard totally.