The Corroboree
niggles

Peres needed for workshop

Hi folks,

Me and Mu are currently tying to organise a free melbourne workshop.

The idea is to get folks together and hopefully bring a few new faces into the community (and maybe we can learn something too)

So I am going to germinate a bunch of lophs and let people practice some grafting.

Unfortunately I dont have enough Pereskiopsis to facilitate as many graftings as I would like to offer.

Im looking for a meter or two of Peres to go towards this purpose.

Donations are welcome, but Im happy to trade or offer some funds.

(We are also hoping to do some LEGAL chemistry and mycology demonstrations, with free goodies of whatever we produce.)

Havent set a date for workshops yet but I will put up a post once we get the supplies and details sorted out.

Heres hoping!

• Like 8

Sounds like a fantastic idea niggles :). Really awesome.

EDIT: Oh, and Mu too .

Edited by Amazonian

That's sounds awesome mate should get this cranking in every state :)

Im a bit short on Peres ATM but have a buttload of opuntia seeds if your keen, pm me if you're interested.

Goodluck buddy hope it works out!

good work!

I have had ideas like this for the brizzy area and work into a pretty decent ethno community / organisation

maybe when time permits i can put my time into this

I am very passionate about spreading this wealth of knowledge to anybody willing to grow in these ways (plants and themselves)

dunno how an ethno store in QLD would go we have darren at herbs but hes only online as far as I know.

I hope to get as many people on board as possible

I wish I could help you out with peres...... I only have lots of small rooted pieces but hey if it would help out pm me b4 i graft onto them :)

best of luck! I'm sure you will do great!

peace

dan

good work!

I have had ideas like this for the brizzy area and work into a pretty decent ethno community / organisation

maybe when time permits i can put my time into this

I am very passionate about spreading this wealth of knowledge to anybody willing to grow in these ways (plants and themselves)

dunno how an ethno store in QLD would go we have darren at herbs but hes only online as far as I know.

I hope to get as many people on board as possible

I wish I could help you out with peres...... I only have lots of small rooted pieces but hey if it would help out pm me b4 i graft onto them :)

best of luck! I'm sure you will do great!

peace

dan

I would be very keen to help support any sort of workshops in Brisnbane.

I think that this is a fantastic idea.

peace

cornillius maximus

I would be very keen to help support any sort of workshops in Brisnbane.

I think that this is a fantastic idea.

peace

cornillius maximus

I might be moving up that way soon.. (sunshine coast maybe)

If this works well I'll totally do it again up there (if I move)

P.S.

Come say hi and celebrate my birthday on the 25-26 february, we trying to organise a meet somewhere in the bris/sunshine coast area.

HaPpy to donate. Pm me

I have way to much peres

Edited by incognito

I might be moving up that way soon.. (sunshine coast maybe)

If this works well I'll totally do it again up there (if I move)

P.S.

Come say hi and celebrate my birthday on the 25-26 february, we trying to organise a meet somewhere in the bris/sunshine coast area.

I will be at soundwave on the 25, but if I pull up alright the next day I may be able to meet up with you guys.

Dont know where ya might get seeds from, but i might have a few of fat plump peres i can send seeing as its such a good cause !

I ike this initiative !

pm me nigzy

Thanks everyone for the generous offers!

Particular big thank you to Tipz for donating loph seed - what a champ!

I think I will now have all the stock I need to get this show happening.

I will keep you all updated as things move along.

I better hassle Mu and make sure hes getting organised too~!

--edit-- I got names mixed up.. to many things happening at once... thanks tipz!

Edited by niggles

also soundwaving (in brissi) and then more than likely recovering the next day, otherwise i would have loved to have gone along to a meet.. Good idea all the same niggles, and if its peoples first ever time grafting, your giving them quite a little present if you let them take their peres/loph home. SPREAD that LOPH LOVE!

Hi Niggles, would be very interested to attend your workshop. I have 2 peres plants(1 single branch and 1 with 3 branchs) i could use them at the workshop if you are short of it. By the way thank you for the new years invite and sorry i could not get there but the wife and i went out to celebrate our 25th anniversery.

Hey Niggles

count me in!!

im happy to help out however possible

Should be getting a fat lil package from me that will allow many a graft niggles !

Im betting it will be there tomo or thursday bud

many much thanks. This thing is on! got lots of interest, Ill be trying to get it happening ASAP.

I just wanted to make a correction.

I was giving thanks to the wrong member and I wanted to clarify...

It is Tipz who has been so nice as to donate the seed for this venture. +1 Tipz.

I really appreciate it, everyones going to keep what they graft and Im hoping we will get many happy photos from new cacti grafting addicts.

(Thanks to everyone else who is helping out.. I will shower you in honors soon!)

Awesome guys. Nice work.

Just wondering about the practicalities?, will you be giving the people the graft straight away or will you wait for the graft to 'take' 1st? wondering how you would keep fresh grafts together & in humidity on their trip home?

Good luck with it.

Well this is the tricky bit of it all I suppose.

Basically, the way I am preparing for this, is to have individual humidity chambers for each graft (a transparent slurpee cup is my current model) with some padding at the bottom.

The workshop is currently planned to take place at the park right near my house - so we can fit all the people... So I will give people the option of taking their graft straight home in the chamber if they feel confident they can get it there without mishaps, or they can label their chamber and leave it in my care until it takes.

I need to double check but I believe the park has bbqs there so we may be able to have a bit of a cook-up lunch on the day.

I was thinking that Watertrades new grafting video is so good I'd like to be able to have that playing as a demonstration - (with permission of course) do some hands on demos, then get everyone doing their own.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas about how to make it more successful, or other things we should also be doing, please do let me know.

If anyone has anything they would like to present for a workshop, that could be cool too! Just let me know.

As it looks like there will be no EGA this year, we have to make our own awesome happen, so Ill be looking to try and get people motivated into anything I can think of - for as long as my motivation lasts.

Yes tricky indeed I would think.

The slightest bump & stock & scion usualy seperate. Was such a pain in the arse in the end I would do the grafts in situ on top of a transparent plastic storage box lid & then place the container over.

Not watering the peres for a couple of days before the graft helps a little as the juices inside aren't flowing as readily & is a bit more sticky.

Maybe even a dab of superglue...

& alot of luck...

The slurpee cup sounds like a good idea.

I talked to a few people at EGA who were proposing workshops as an alternative if the bigger events could'nt run, glad to see someone take up the challenge.

Edited by shruman

Hi everyone.

I now have about half as many peres cuts as I need...

I been away for a week so I have lost track of the generous offers.

Do let me know if you have some you could part with.

Happy to reimburse or do trades if desired.

Thanks all you lovely people you making this task very very easy for me!

P.S.

If anyone would be interested in sharing information or plants or showing people how to do something.. please feel free to get involved.

It would be great to have a bit of show and tell, or some other skills to show off on the day, or even some more stuff to give away.

Im thinking its a month or two away from being ready, so theres plenty of time to prepare.

• Like 1

I can send you a dozen pereski cuts, shoot me your address.

Edited by AndyAmine.

Sorry Andy!

Ive been a bit overwhelmed of late with organising and my sub standard organisational skills!

I do appreciate your offer and I will send you my details!

Why dont I do it right now!

:D

Hey Niggles.

How is the workshop coming along mate ?

Did the loph seeds i donated go Ok ? How were the germination rates ?