The Corroboree
Stillman

Super pedro and psycho0 genetics.

So I was extremely fortunate to purchase some hybridised seeds of various Trichocereus sp from PD recently and after looking at my list I realised I know nothing about most of what I got. I am hoping to squeeze a bit of information out of you guys and girls. I know there is quite a bit of info on the net regarding Psycho0 and Super pedro but most from commercial sellers. Basically I am curious as to how fast they grow and maybe a pic of a semi mature plant.

So anyone growing Super pedro or Psycho0 based hybrids?

From some of my reading Super pedro may be a cross of T scop and T pach pc? Not sure if this is based in fact or just from looking at plant structure?

As far as psycho goes all I know is it is a very fast growing T Bridgesii?

And this I am not even 100% lol.

So any pics advice, the seeds will be raised in artificial conditions for the first year (18h light 4000lumen 26-30 deg day light temp) then planted out and put in the cacti house for the second hopefully by the third the biggest specimens will be put in the ground. I will put pics up in this thread as I go through various stages in development. Mainly as a visual record for me and anyone who may be interested. Cheeers for any advice or pics in advance.

iv got a super pedro x psycho0 growing out the back, im not really impressed with it, looks kinda average being young and all. interesting post anyways, iv been trying to work out what the

thrichocereus pachanoi 'El Pedro' is exactly all it says is This clone has smaller spines than the standard Australian San Pedro clone.

its a curious story I have learnt quite a bit today, regarding the origin of super Pedro and Psycho0. If every thing goes to plan I should a have a few of my own growing soon to document. I think I am going to have to get my hands on Trouts notes on San Pedro anyone read it? Its relatively cheap so might get it and have a read I like too much information.

Quarterfish do you grow other Bridigesii, I am in south east QLD and I find they dislike our humid summers being a cross bridgesii maybe psycho0 won't do as well up here as down in Vic? I guess I will have to wait and see?

Super Pedro looks more like a form of T. cordobensis to me, rather than regular T.scopulicola. Just my 2c though. Over the years I have concentrated more on cultivation rather than concrete ID as things can get pretty confusing. It could be a varietas of scop, but according to Trout's notes it's unpublished and undecided.

EDIT: Oh and...I am growing some of said seedlings from seed that I got from PD years ago, but I have long since lost the tags :BANGHEAD2: so I don't actually know which ones they are now. Oh well. If someone posts some pics up of their seedlings I might be able to finally figure out which ones they are.

This thread may shed some light http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25165

Edited by tonic
  • Like 1

i find that all my different brigesii grow quite fine where i am. more dry them humid here. but right next to the ocean

I remember reading in an old thread that psych0 was named after a member here who passed away, as a tribute to him or something. Others might want to add more about that so new members might remember the legacy. Did he develop it?

Pd has mentioned as spacemonk did, that Psycho0 was named after a member here whom passed away. I believe Super Pedro and Psycho0 originally came from the same garden, but this may be incorrect.

Pd has mentioned as spacemonk did, that Psycho0 was named after a member here whom passed away. I believe Super Pedro and Psycho0 originally came from the same garden, but this may be incorrect.

Is this for real ?

I just planted a few Psycho0 x Pedro a few month ago. I have them in a mini greenhouse they are about 7 cm tall and they have put on about 2cm in the last 8 weeks. Cant really tell what they would look like yet though.

Keen to know more about the history of the Psycho0 - Does anybody know more ?

I am a newbie in the forum btw.

Here's one I prepared earlier... Two actually. They are both now de-grafted and growing in their own pots and I reeeeeeealy like then a lot.

Awesome cross, fast growing with nice blue colours. I'd like to back cross it back onto psycho0.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29552&hl=%2Bopuntia+%2Bbomb&fromsearch=1

check out the pics at the end.

There is another thread here somewhere that explains all this psychoO came from an Australian cactus nursery (in Victoria i think) and as mentioned named after a member here

i would love to know more about super Pedro. I thought it could be a scorp hybrid when i first got it but now i believe it's probably just an unusual Peru but Im totally guessing and only really going by my gut

super pedro came from the same farm as psycho0 it is possibly a T corbensis cv maybe a little bridgesii I doubt without gene mapping technology anyone will really know the exact makeup. Its a beautiful plant none the less.

I was originally told spuper pedro was a scop x pach and going by its skin it looks like it has scop in its make up to me. I have yet to score a true scop so I am only going by photos at the moment.

This is slightly off topic but along the same lines

Scop x bridgesii

I really like the look of this plant. I think it needs to be re-potted as it didn't plump up this year.

post-4489-0-48721700-1339555705_thumb.jppost-4489-0-16568800-1339555636_thumb.jp

Scop x bridg at the front super pedro at the back

post-4489-0-31312900-1339555671_thumb.jp

Cheers

Got

post-4489-0-16568800-1339555636_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-31312900-1339555671_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-48721700-1339555705_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-16568800-1339555636_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-31312900-1339555671_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-48721700-1339555705_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

GOT i have been chasing this around the forum for a couple months. I have attached a really good thread in it I have then further attached good information from members here. Have a read and see what you think. I have come to the conclusion that it is a hybrid of excellent calibre but without some sort of gene/ dna testing and flower comparison etc I really think its too hard to tell

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28043

Edited by Stillman

They certainly look similar GOT, but you just never know until you know for sure...

IMO, the most likely scenario is that SP is a non-hybrid that is closely related to Scop, followed very closely by the scenario that SP is a hybrid containing scop or a scop variation etc. But it's too close to call.

DNA testing of population genetics is not that complicated or expensive. Every university does it nowadays.

I wonder why not much is being done on trichos in South America.

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1

I imagine very little, its a pretty niche interest. We would have to Ask Truncha or Mike Smith. I think our OZ clones would be an interesting gene mapping project. But first you would have to have something to compare it with. Would Cactus countries stock be sufficient or would Boivian and Peruvian stock be a necessity.. The purests would have a field day. lol

How much and what sort of techy stuff do you need HD?

It's not quite something you can do in your own shed thanks to the $200,000 PCR machine and suitable reagents, lamina flow hood, a knowledge of suitable microsatelites to focus on etc etc. But every biology university does this stuff now.

It would be a great topic for a masters, to get a snapshot of all the main species for a preliminary comparison. It could be done in Australia I guess.

I'll have to have a look sometime and see who's doing what.

EDIT: I guess you could do it with gel electrophoresis alone, (no need for PCR) cut your target fraction out with a scalpel and send it off for analysis. (Can't even remember how much the analysis cost now).

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1

PD mentions that these are all likely hybrids from the same massive cactus heaven that QLD doesnt seem to have, Damm you Victoria... :ana:

• Like 1

same with the short spine bridgessi and a lot of the others he has.

*correct me if im wrong, just going off what my foggy brain remembers..

• Like 1

Short spined "SuperPerdroxPsycho0"

post-6382-0-15472200-1401772044_thumb.jp

post-6382-0-71062700-1401772097_thumb.jp

Long spined "SuperPerdroxPsycho0"

post-6382-0-67480100-1401772212_thumb.jp

post-6382-0-15472200-1401772044_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-71062700-1401772097_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-67480100-1401772212_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-15472200-1401772044_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-71062700-1401772097_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-67480100-1401772212_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hey Philocacti, do you have an update about the long-spined Super Pedro? It looks really atypical and I´d love to see how it looks now.

• Like 1

Hey EG

I had surgery on my left leg and I still can't walk, so it's been almost 2months now that I haven't seen my collection. Fortunately it's winter and it rained twice, so the cacti had some water to drink, so I'm hoping they weren't negatively affected.

I'll post pictures once I get the chance ;)

• Like 3

Wow mystical oyster those are dope. Really nice genetics. Hb03 looks like a straight pachanoi, would never guess the cross

Edited by Ohlone
  • Like 2