The Corroboree
incognito

Oberon sub zero camp

Erm I'll Suss a map to gzone. May pay to pm map privately

Toby knows a nice spot by the river next to uber zone, I'll wait for him to chime in. A spot of fishing would b snazzy.

• Like 1

A spot of fishing would b snazzy.

Any rainbow trout nibbling in the O-dam these days, or have the redfin perch taken over ?

Unsure? I've never fished Oberon. I personally prefe a reddy Over a trout any day though. Both as a sports and table fish. Trout are pretty though. In regards to dangers to freshwater fish stocks I'd rate trout equal if not a over Redfin. They r like wolves, loves eggs and juveniles. I'd bet fly fishing is another story, an art unto itself. I'd love to give it a go if ever I become a die-hard fisho agAin. Have u seen people catching sailfish on fly gear ? Well on tv anyways. That would be a rush.

I won't be at camp until late sat night. Trying desperately to get out of footy, however it's been Pointed out explicitly that as I received a seasons worth of payments in advance I have to take it half seriously this year :( whoah be me. Alas I should get there 11pmish.

U should make it along psylo and turkey slap me in my sleep.

Edited by incognito

My understanding is that the DPI stock the dam yearly with rainbow (&brown) trout, which is a native to the waterways. However a couple of years ago some bright spark decided that they would introduce the invasive redfin (highly illegal), and by all accounts it has ripped into the trout stocks in a major way. As for the latest status on species stocks, I don't know. Most seasoned fishermen ignore the area for this reason. I'm not a fisho myself, but have been looking at getting into it again after not having wet a line for over two decades. A recent discussion has sparked my interest in a day trip to Oberon for a bit of edible mush hunting and some fishing, catch me some dinner. Alas, I will be nursing my partner for the next two weeks or so, which makes my inclusion into your big camp weekend unlikely.

Blood thirsty animals, the lot of ya.

Trout are not native to ANY Australian waterwAys. They are an introduced species

Sorry oh hyper evolved lettuce muncher for my blood lust ;)

• Like 1

I would prefer the term 'barbarian' (from Ethnos, no less)

Happy sub-hunting, kids.

Brown trout is an atlantic tributary fish, while rainbow trout is Pacific ocean runoff species. Australia is a pacific island nation, so by that reckoning the rainbow trout is aa native, right? Genuine question. Anyway, the fact remains that the Dept Primary industries stock the dam annually, and someone illegally fucked with that process by introducing redfin. Personally, a fish is a fish as far as im concerned, I'll eat whatever I catch.

I think I hear my vegetarian neigbours torturing tub of yoghurt, judging by the blood curdling lacto screams.

Sorry oh hyper evolved lettuce muncher for my blood lust ;)

I'll forgive you and I hope your semen lust equals your lust for blood.

Nah psylo I think ur pretty much wrong, don't make me dig out the anglers omnibus to prove it though.... I'm 99.9% sure trout are an introduced specie. It's because they r such a highly revered sports fish that try get away from getting hit with the feral tag, which is insane. We have such awesome native fish. They even get a closed season. I'm biased against trout, they r shit like pineapples and pine trees.

You would know more abut it than me, mostly I'm just going on what the old hand fisho's mention when talking about Oberon dam. Pretty bad that the DPI stock the dam with non-native genus then ! So the rainbows are what, then ? North American ?

If you guys are dropping a line and do want some rainbow trout, there's apparently somewhere around Oberon called "Fish River". Please let me know f any good spots you find, I'll be out there in April.

I'll hafta check it out myself. The whole jenolan area is awesome for the whole family, romantic weekends etc snuggled up in the resort there in winter and doing some cave tours would be awesome.

The Oberon police are particularly awesome people. They saved my ass out of a big bog up to my windows. Got to cruise around in the back their mad paddy wagon through all the little goat tracks out there... Was a full on evening.

I'd move there if it wasn't so freaking cold.

Right down the bottom near the caves, the air in the evening WREAKS of mycellium.

I love the wonder kids find in mushrooms, I never have to ask my lil'n twice if she wants to go for a hunt for some lactarius. Kids just love shroom hunting.

Edited by incognito

Ok,this time next week I will be there sitting by the campfire.

But we need a plan.

My plan is to get there early Sat morn and hunt all day,I then thought we could meet prolly at the G spot like at 2 or 3 and all go and camp somewhere.

There is no phone reception anywhere so communication on the day is out.

If incog is coming in the middle of the night then it needs to be somewhere easy to find and determined before the day.

Can we get a rough numbers count,it is a great help if everybody brings 1 bag of firewood or does somebody have a chainsaw.

Toby...chime in bro,you going,what time and where. Are we going to firm up this fishing spot,or stay in the forest.

Mr Sunrise are you still coming....Watertrade,any from Canberra?

Marcel what is your plan you big hairy dude.

Ive driven around that forest lookin for SABers and it is a nightmare,so lets make it easy for all especially the new comers.

• Like 1

I don't mind where y'all camp I'll find yas ;) still a week to go, it's definAtely on, don't hunt the place out b4 I get there lol I can bring a generator mm lets have an emphasis in yummmy food or maybee I'm just hungry now. Crack out the pate. Pâté and marshmallows. Mmm liver and sugar....drool

Edited by incognito
  • Like 1

I'll be there from mid morning on the Saturday. I'll bring red ribbon for marking our area out. Once we determine a spot, I could zip out to some reception and send some directions PMs out to those that are coming.

I'll bring a couple of bags of firewood. I'm not much of a gourmet, so don't expect too much truffle and foie gras from me. I'll bring some vego sausages or something degenerate like that. Maybe some fruit or something.

Looking forward to catching up with you guys. I don't know you guys all that well, but some of you are going to be friends for life. I can feel it. Lovely little brother and sisterhood in this community.

Watertrade: I'm looking forward to finally meeting you. You better be coming!

Also, I've got a few plants that I could bring. I hate post office trips, so I can share the love like this. If anyone wants peres, let me know so that I bring it. No charge. I've got quite a bit of it. I've also got some 1 year old Desmanthus illinoensis plants to share. Again, let me know if you're coming and you're interested, otherwise I won't bother carting them around.

Also: anyone need a lift from Sydney on the Saturday morning? I've got a seat spare and wouldn't mind some chit-chat for the drive. PM me.

Is gonna be ace!

I'm leaving syd friday night, camping somewhere on bells line of road, and hopefully arriving somewhere oberon round 8am on the Saturday.. I've only been 2 oberon once and really have only very subjective memories of the whole thing.. I am definitely no help for xcampsites! Looking forward to it though :)

• Like 1

Bah hillbilly said you know a mad spot! Shroom gods are conspiring against me, work is digging heels in re. Sat night, and sport commitments are trying to hold me down on Sunday as well ...this really really sucks but ima work something out

Bah hillbilly said you know a mad spot! Shroom gods are conspiring against me, work is digging heels in re. Sat night, and sport commitments are trying to hold me down on Sunday as well ...this really really sucks but ima work something out

Well, you've just ruined my Sunday night. :(

Ok. I remember that spot. About 1km walk from last years site.

Some of it is quite steep so would have to rely on finding fire wood down there.

Also would mean no sleeping in cars.

Ah fuck. I was planing on car sleeping. Tents are soooo last year (and i have to get mine back from my brother). Is it truly car inaccesible? What about getting generators there and stuff? And firewood? Are there no alternatives?

Ah fuck. I was planing on car sleeping. Tents are soooo last year (and i have to get mine back from my brother). Is it truly car inaccesible? What about getting generators there and stuff? And firewood? Are there no alternatives?

It's assesable by car, not the back roads when it's wet as I found out to my misfortune and made me an eternal fan if the Oberon police force.

Edit- don't be soft marcel. The gzone is not for the weak. Bring ur warmest of clothes and firewood. A waterproof jacket/poncho is ideal as well.

I'm 95% in, have had to get my hustle/ bullshitting/ begging on. It's a freAkshow. Nothing is easy at the moment.

Marcel why not bring the love wagon and sleep in that? We can reminisce and recreate old times. This time I promise not to burst a boil inside it, if u be more gentle. I'm glad our kind neighbor had nappy wipes wen our voyage around gundagai came to an end.

^thats odd because it is true.

Edited by incognito
  • Like 1

I'm keen.

Bringing a bit of a beard too : )

Happy to share my ride with anyone between the Capital

and Oberon.

Just got Merino thermals too. I'd say thats gonna be the compulsory item. Doesnt matter how big your balls are when ice is settling on your shoulders.

I'll bring some eco-logs. Anyone tried these? Cheaper in firewood form, I got a dozen or more blocks of compresssed recycled paper that burns so nice for so long for $7. The smoke is clean and white..and you dont wake up the day after a campfire feeling like you've smoked a pack of cigarettes. Its light stuff that I reckon would be worth carrying.

• Like 1