The Corroboree
Chef

What fertiliser do you use?

Hey everyone,

Today I finally found a fertiliser that was for specifically for cacti and succulents.

It was some random Serles brand and I was just curious of what you lot use for it? I was hoping for a liquid fert but they only had that sprinkly kind, so i bought it and thought i would give it a try but the fact its in pellet form it kind of deters me. i was in a rush at the nursery so i didnt realise untill i got home that it was in pellet form.. I havent used it as yet but am planning to in the future.

Do you's go all out and buy a cacti related one or just use a miracle grow or something along those lines?

Just curious :)

Chef

Rooster booster (bunnings cheapo version of dynamic lifter) when planting or repotting. Occasionally miracle grow if I can be bothered liquid feeding. For plants in the ground I'll just chuck some rooster booster around them twice a year, unless they are nicely pebbled around in which case I'd use some osmocote so as not to look weird with the poo pellets.

I've been using seaweed ferteliser regularly during summer and i've kind of mixed between a much of random fertilisers to be honest...

I'm kinda in the process of deciding what I want to settle on, so nice thread.

Any opinions on the pellet form? Like the one i have purchased today? I was hoping for a liquid one so i can apply it more often the ever 5-7 months (which is how long this one lasts for, which i guess is good :))

I like the pellets. But many people prefer liquid because the pellets look shitty :P

You can always dissolve them in water, then apply with a watering can. That way you still get the cacti ratio of nutes.

some of my potted cacti have little pebbles on top that wont effect anything will it with the pellets? It dosent worry me as such as what they look like..

• Like 1

I use seaweed solution and fish emulsion on most of my plants

They seem to be doin pretty good cacti have grown a decent amount since i have received them with several new pups

I use Charlie Carp about once every fortnight, or whenever I think too (it's usually much less often), and seasol whenever I feel a plant is slowing down or after it has developed roots post-repotting, to make the soil more appealing.

I use for solid feeding (all mixed together):

Blood and Bone

Potato fertilizer (4:8:6)

Trace Elements mixture

And for liquid, a combination of Seasol and a dilute chemical solution with nitrates, phosphoric acid and potassium salt. Not entirely sure, as I didn't mix it. But it seems to work well. Sometimes only Seasol.

:)

All of my potted cacti (mainly trich's) get soil wetting agent like wetasoil once at the beginning of summer and normally another dose later in the season if the soil stops taking in water. I also use miracle grow all purpose liquid fertiliser every two to three weeks and seasol plant tonic in week between the fertiliser .

They also get a light lime dose once a year and get watered at least once every 3 days during the growing season if its really hot they will be watered every day

All of my cacti are in a free draining mix made up of commercial potting mix and between 30% and 50% perlite also all of my pots have a layer of stones in the bottom covering the drain holes.

I think that the choice of fertilizer and the way it is used is dependant on the species of cacti you are growing the soil you are using which intern effects you water schedule all of this will make a difference to the way the plant can take up the ferts and how much it will need.

Cheers

Got

I have just started using Charlie Carp half strength every two weeks and Seasol fern strength every two weeks.

I used to use Miracle Gro at half strength, but haven;t been able to find it here for some reason.. I think they changed the packet.

I sometimes used to use the Yates C&S fertilizer, but found Miracle Gro was a lot more economic and promoted a lot more pups.

Those of you using liquid ferts regularly, do you use full strength or diluted? I usually go half strength whatever it says for standard plants.

sounds like pellets are shit :(

No they just take longer to work. Usually, this is not a problem. But if you already have a nutrient disbalance, you might better use a liquid one because it works faster. You can also dissolve pellets in water. Its a stinky job but it works.

You can also dissolve pellets in water. Its a stinky job but it works.

Is there a ratio type thing? it says 10gm to a 8inch pot so do i just make sure i use 10g and plenty of water so i dont kill it?

sounds like pellets are shit :(

why does that warrent a frowny face?

i just use straight up chicken shit from a nearby chicken farm.. they sell it in bags on the side of the road for $2.. i assume by the time it's shoveled into the bags it's had plenty of time to compost nicely on the barn floor..

put it on straight, make tea, whatever you're in the mood for... also use seasol now & then too for a bit of root stimulation etc & a bit of osmocote if i have some around.. i heard once (if i remember correctly) someone saying that perhaps the 'native' osmocote is good for cacti as many cacti have similar nutrient needs as many native aussie plants.. don't quote me on it though, don't know if it's true.. i personally think most commercial ferts are vastly overated & composted chicken shit, shits all over anything in most situations

Edited by paradox

I use power feed.

very diluted about half the recommended for ferns as it doesn't have cacti on the bottle.

my cacti seem to love it! on my trich's and similar cacti I use about the same as on a fern maybe a dash more

I fert them very irregularly they are lucky if they get it once a month :) I also water very rarely probably once or twice a month

• Like 1

http://www.katekfert...per-Growth.html quite generously spread

http://www.neutrog.c...u/gogo-juice-2/ only use recommended ratio

http://www.neutrog.com.au/seamungus-2/ as freely as u wish

seaweed solution made from norwegian kelp and cold processed at recommended ratio or higher of 20ml per 9L, it's ~3X as concentrated as seasol

and Powerfeed at higher than recommended ratio, ~50ml per 9L

Roses and citrus get hit with http://www.neutrog.com.au/seamungus-2/

I highly recommend gogo juice

Oh, and piss on ur cacti, even the ones in pots. They love it

I water every 2nd day in the ground atm or everyday in the pots. I even top water my lophs with the seaweed powerfeed solution :P

Edited by naja naja
  • Like 2

wow thanks naja that is some very helpful shit ^^^

thanks for everyones advice here tonight :)

I'm a fertilizer simpleton and used dissolved Scott's Miracle-Gro for years, but wasn't real happy with it. Last year I started with Espoma's Plant-tone, a teaspoon or two sprinkled on the top-soil a few times a season, and my plants seem a lot happier for it.

http://www.espoma.com/p_consumer/tones_plant.html

~Michael~

will have a look into that MS Smith sounds interesting after looking at the site! cheers

I used to use Miracle Gro at half strength, but haven;t been able to find it here for some reason.. I think they changed the packet.

You can still get it at bunnings I buy the tubs now I use so much.

Those of you using liquid ferts regularly, do you use full strength or diluted? I usually go half strength whatever it says for standard plants.

All of my trichs have allways had full strength.

post-4489-0-01262000-1328706672_thumb.jp

Cheers

Got

post-4489-0-01262000-1328706672_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-01262000-1328706672_thumb.jpg

Edited by GoOnThen

ahem, super growth and seamunsus, the seaweed solution are all certified organic, the powerfeed is not, it's got sum synthetics in there too. The gogo juice is not certified, but is organic.

I used to use canna products but have found Triple boast a product found at bunnings is easily as good and cheap as, I feed half strength with every watering and get pumping results. In saying that under lights all my peres grafts are fed canna cocco nutes and they grow like spastic, so different horses for different courses.

I like fish emulsion every fortnight or so during spring and autumn. I also pee on them around once a month.

I like fish emulsion every fortnight or so during spring and autumn. I also pee on them around once a month.

I remember you telling me to pee on em, do i pee into a bottle and dilute or should i just pee straight onto em?(or/and then water them?(pots))