The Corroboree
Lophophile

60 year old William

post-11119-0-85006400-1328678380_thumb.jpost-11119-0-85006400-1328678380_thumb.jpost-11119-0-85006400-1328678380_thumb.jpost-11119-0-85006400-1328678380_thumb.jpost-11119-0-85006400-1328678380_thumb.jFirst thanks to all who replied and made me feel welcome.

This specimen was originally my Grandfathers. I did not know my grandfather even grew cacti and he's been dead for 30 years. This is the only remaining specimen from his collection. I had been growing for 11 yrs when it was given to me. I went into shock when I saw the thing.

The pic is from 6 years ago.

What you see is only about 50% the original mass. unfortunately no photo when 1 piece.

When it was one piece it measured 40cm x 15cm approx and had 3 flowering tops with many smaller ones. It looked very sick so I decided to break it up

I cut 2 of the flowering tops off, roots in situ, making 2 more plants + 2 others without flowering tops ie 4 cuttings in total leaving what you see in this pic.

My best guess is if grandpa grew it from seed it's 60 years old. However it may be much older.

None of the seed from any of the tops has been viable. Why? Don't know.

It looks like shit at the moment. Lots has died back. Water pools in the centre and has rotted a huge hole in the root mass. Growth is very slow. I have other specimens as large but much younger and look much more healthy. It really isn't the best I've seen just the oldest.

How long do they live for? I don't know but I suspect if cared for, indefinitely.

I will send more pics soon. One of the cuttings is unbelievable has more than 100 side pups but not spread out, too hard to describe more pics will come. Enjoy!

post-11119-0-85006400-1328678380_thumb.jpg

post-11119-0-85006400-1328678380_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lophophile
  • Like 3

edit-

beat me BT

Edited by Chef

G'day Lophophile. . Um, i cant see the pic? Is it just me? Maybe try again?

Welcome to SAB :)

i never got the notice of a new post added??? so i continued to type. But yeah, it seems, there is no pic'.

thats a monster!!! what a beauty :worship:

your gramps sounds like a freaking champ :)

• Like 1

If plants could talk, i am sure that cluster would have a story or two. It must have some sentimental value , being your grandfathers and all. Maybe you will be passing it down to your kids Lophophile. :)

That's impressive. I find it a huge guy for only a piece of the original. It's also such a shame that it had a tough time, but it's more important that it's still going. :)

And also, just wondering what soil you have it in? It doesn't look like the type of soil that I use at all.

So sorry I'm a Techno-retard forgive me I'll get it right next time. It looks ok but when I got it it was twice as big and I really did go into shock. I kept saying fuck me over and over.

Wait till you see the cuttings much more impressive in my opinion.

Soil out of garden + sand + chunks of lime stone

thats a monster!!! what a beauty :worship:

your gramps sounds like a freaking champ :)

Grandpa was a freak but died when I was young teenager. I didn't know anything about his cacti until given that thing christ only knows what was lost.

That's impressive. I find it a huge guy for only a piece of the original. It's also such a shame that it had a tough time, but it's more important that it's still going. :)

And also, just wondering what soil you have it in? It doesn't look like the type of soil that I use at all.

River sand, lime stone and a soil that drains well seems to work for me.

If plants could talk, i am sure that cluster would have a story or two. It must have some sentimental value , being your grandfathers and all. Maybe you will be passing it down to your kids Lophophile. :)

I reckon that that plant would have an amazing story to tell. it's been around longer than me, a lot longer. Sentimental value definitely, and will be passed on to my kids.

nice B). i hope to be able to pass my lophs and other cacti onto my grandchildren one day.

I'm glad you all like. I don't get to share my cacti with many people. Only one person has seen them other than me and he's a mad cactophile that lives next door. Actually 2 if I count my partner, but shes not interested, doesn't see what I see in them. A specimen like that is meaningless to her.

Wow, i am speechless...i do hope that one day i'll have grandchildren as interested as me in the sacred plants...sacred transmission you have there !