The Corroboree
Jonstn

Dichotomous pup!

Hey all thought i'd share this little bugger i found this morning:

4d3ca0e8.jpg

fa8f5a15.jpg

It was IDd last year as either a T.schickendantzii (because of its clumping characteristics) or a spach.

Here's what it looked like when i first found it:

imagebks.jpg

all the columns fell off while planting, it was very fragile, here's what it looks like now:

ba8c688a.jpg

And while im at it, there was some really shitty bits that i just wrapped up in a bag and forgot about, here's what the look like now:

63231462.jpg

d1dcd594.jpg

6ed40b7d.jpg

2423b693.jpg

I do have a few questions about the crest, going to utse after work tonight but figure I'll ask the experts first

Will detaching the crest pose any risk of it going back to normal?

Would it be a better idea to leave it attached to grow some more, and possibly detaching the non crested pup so it doesn't have to worry about making that bit grow?

Cheers for the help everyone, pretty wrapped ATM wasn't expecting to see that on my morning walk past

Ahhh cheers turkey, either way it looks cool ATM hahaha

• Like 1

dicho!???? i dont care what it is i like it :) is that grown from seed mate?

i think it means like two headed or something like that

that sounds pretty cool to me :)

i wonder if it has anything to do with that wank off aus idol?? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Looks nice. Im pretty sure that the mutant growth was induced by spider mite damage so chances are its going back to normal at some point. But cant say for sure so Please update. bye Eg

Cheers for all the words guys :) nah chef I didn't grow it from seed found it on an abandoned property in a pot, very very root bound.

Here's the orig post where I got it IDd

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29281&hl=&fromsearch=1

Will definitely keep ya's updated EG, there's a good 8+ columns in the wine barrel with at least 2 pups on each, this is the first one to show any mutation, all the others are coming up fine. Didn't notice (or look out for) any mites or anything, there's is a butt tonne of ants in the barrel though got a nice nest going in there the bastards :BANGHEAD2:

Starting to separate by the looks of it :) looks funky lol

5e371661.jpg

I keep trying to change the topic title to what it is but it's not letting me edit it :(:wacko:

Was just goin to change crested to dichotomous and take off the 'my first' lol

Thinking of taking a pic of it every few weeks or so and make a little anim out of it

Nice plant, looks simular to a small plant i got called spach.

Edited by eatfoo

Not spach?

What do you think it is BT?

i think blowng is on the right track in your ID thread

EDIT. or maybe even T. candicans?

Edited by Bush Turkey

It is nearly impossible to differentiate between Echinopsis Spachiana and Echinopsis Schickendantzii without having seen the flower. Echinopsis schickendantzii has Flowers with dense black hairs and E. spachianus has Flowers that are densely hairy. Also, schickendantzii flower is said to have no scent. Spachianus has a solitary central spine, what i can see on this picture. The problem starts with the fact that no one really knows what was described as Echinopsis Spachaniana Lemaire so its open to suggestion what they meant. Personally, i think it is whatr people understand as a Spachianus, simply because all the so called schickendantzii´s i´ve seen are more rounded. I have a huge Trichocereus Shaferi what is a synonym for Schickendantzii and it looks totally diffrent. Columnar and pretty much like Spachiana. I think Spachiana and Schickendantzii are synonymous with each other. Differences are minor and seem to be caused by natural hybridism. So you´r all right. :wink:

Edited by Evil Genius

sorry, but the plant in the pictures is not spachianus.

I have arse loads of pictures of spachianus somewhere on my hd, including flowers....just a matter of finding them...

• Like 1

Maybe we´re using diffrent plants as standard because we´re on diffrent markets. The plant definately fits the description of a plant that you´d get when you´d buy Spachianus in Europe. As mentioned, its possible that some people may sell other forms as spachianus as well. Would be interested in seeing the pics because if i type spachianus in google, i see pics of plants that look like this as well. Not saying google is a good tool to ID cacti but it gives a vague overview about the plants being sold under that name.

But you know what? You could be right! It could be a Huascha. I totally forgot about that species. They clump and look similar as well. Changed my mind, i think its Huascha now. :) Please post pics of the Spachianus if you find em. Wanna see what you meant.

Edited by Evil Genius

ahh huasca, how did that slip my mind. Huasca has red flowers right EG???

ive never seen what we call spach bend like that. it likes to grow as straight as possible.

This is some spach i took photo's of in rural Victoria...

http://www.shaman-au...0_508_75817.jpg

EDIT. Jonstn, is that the one that is growing in front of your shed???

Edited by Bush Turkey

The flower of Echinopsis Huascha is very variable. Seen them in all colors but most of them are red or reddish. Have one myself somewhere. :blush:

Yeah BT it's the one you saw :)

When I found it on the abandoned property the pot was laying horizontal, absolutely chocked out with columns that layed across the ground for about 30+cms then started to curve up, I just assumed they were bent because of the way they were laying.

Thanks for all the help with IDing and whatnot everyone hell appreciated :)