The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ambient

Invasive vines?

Can anyone compare the growth rate & vine size/thickness of these creepers?

Morning glory (MG)

Rivea Corymbosa (RC)

Argyreia Nervosa (HBWR)

I have a large lattice in a sunny position I would like to grow some sort of vine over for added privacy & was thinking of using HBWR or RC.

I already have MG growing down my fence line & its a pain. I rip it out every year only for it to come back again & again (its been there for years & has become almost indestructible). The vine grows fast, gets in the trees, on the shed & over just about anything it's tendrils can reach. I don't want another vine that grows as quickly & invasively as this, but I do like the idea of having a developed HBWR or RC in my garden.

After reading HBWR & RC "can be invasive" & the fact their from the same family I'm somewhat weary they could become as much a pain as MG..... do they grow as fast?

Cheers for you're help,

AF

If you have a problem with Morning glory then id say youll have a problem with both of the others. Up here in Townsville HBWR is definitely an invasive species - its everywhere and grows as much as 10-15m up trees and can completely smother them. It also just pops up everywhere, which means the seeds spread easily. It usually dies back late winter here after its produced seeds, but within a couple of months its back in full force. I have a R. corymbosa as well and it definitely appears to have the same weed potential. Its in a small (15cm) pot that I rarely water and is on its side, so it barely gets any rain water either, but its still growing strong. Both HBWR and rivea get much thicker stems than morning glory too, making them difficult to remove.

In perth both will probably die back over autumn and winter, as they are quite tropical (iv heard of HBWR struggling in brisbane), so you might be alright. Im sure some perthians will chime in soon with more specific info though

Cool, cheers for the info PS :) I think I might plant another passionfruit vine or some more Dutchman's pipe; They both seem to do well in my garden & aren't so invasive they can't be kept under control.

Looks like I'll have a bunch of HBWR & RC seedlings up for trade at the next WA meet :)

I dont think you will have a problem here with HBWR orRivea corymbosa as poisonshroom said the should struggle through the winter (more so the HBWR)

I have just planted a Rivea that has been in a pot for a couple of years under one of my gum trees and it has taken of up the tree I will keep an eye on it just to be sure it dosnt take over and trim it back if need be.

Cheers

Got

hmmmmmmmm, maybe I'll keep just one of each to study their growing potential, but I'll be watching them like a hawk, first sign of escape & they will be getting the chop or exported to someone else's garden.

If I had a MG planted at the same time, It could have yielded some interesting comparative results. I guess my existing knowledge will have to do. I'll try & remember to update this thread some time next summer once the seedlings have had a chance to get properly established.

Cheers for sharing you're exp Got :)

they can get out of hand if you are warm enough, not the worst, but far more weedy than regular heavenly blue type MG.

Cool, cheers for the info PS :) I think I might plant another passionfruit vine or some more Dutchman's pipe;

forget the dutchman's pipe, as sooo often said here before, because it kills butterflies, i've never seen it happening, but this problem is often mentioned aswell, in gardening shows.

dutchmans pipe has for some gardeners a similar status like the cane toad.

these things grow like crazy around here, i swear every colour and variety :scratchhead:

If you did want to grow a passiofruit vine u can have a giant granadilla seedling if you would like

They're suppose to grow as big as your head!

the fruits that is

pm me

Edited by danshaman

:blink: i have a big head

wholey crap just seen some pics on google and they really are effin massive :o

If you did want to grow a passiofruit vine u can have a giant granadilla seedling if you would like

They're suppose to grow as big as your head!

the fruits that is

pm me

That sounds good man, I'd be keen to give it a crack. I think it will be more useful to me than HBWR or RC, as I would have only harvested the seeds to trade. This way I might actually eat some of my harvest, the body load of the other vine's seeds has never really appealed to me.

PM Sent.

forget the dutchman's pipe, as sooo often said here before, because it kills butterflies, i've never seen it happening, but this problem is often mentioned aswell, in gardening shows.

dutchmans pipe has for some gardeners a similar status like the cane toad.

I'd not heard of this before; after a some research it seems the vine is toxic to the Richmond Birdwing's caterpillars, which are an eastern states species & do not naturally occur in WA.... or maybe I just don't see them... caus their already dead from the large Dutchman's Pipe growing by the side of my house..... lol I hope not, their a pretty amazing species of butterfly.

i have grown passiflora quadrangularis (giant granadilla)but the juice and flesh, i found not palatable. some sources say, some manufactures of passion vine juice add it to there product, though.

anyway, the flower of it is in a league of it's own, simply ultra spectacular!!

the seeds of this vine are always sought after by people, and i have seen them fetching a good price.