The Corroboree
myco

tiny crest pup graft to peres :)

hey guys

so when i did my original crest graft

you can see here

http://www.shaman-au...showtopic=30694

i had to cut a small pup that was growing off an end of it to fit the graft onto the stock properly

i wasnt to sure wat to do with it at the time and wrapped it in some newspaper

hoping it might survive and i could figure out wat to do with it later

not long after i got hold of some peres for some seedling grafts from a very generous member from here

so last saturday i decided i would try my hand at grafting it to a piece of peres

so its been a week today and all seems to be going great he's looking healthy and seems to have taken fine

so im pretty happy with myself thats 4 grafts i've done and not one failed :lol:

gallery_7473_420_62771.jpg

gallery_7473_420_253557.jpg

gallery_7473_420_173187.jpg

• Like 5

good luck with that looks like it has taken nicely, once you get a feel for peres the options seem endless.

hey myco nice work mate, cool to sea your progress propagating that bad boy. i'm no expert, but aereole grafting might be a way for you to get a few more growing and could be worth looking into, especially considering you seem to take to grafting pretty well.

good luck man, the WA folk must be lovin' these threads

thanks guys

yeh i definately need to look into aereole grafting

thats one thing i actually have read next to nothing about :)

im starting to love grafting and it seems to like me haha so there will be alot more to come :lol:

thanks for the likes and comments everyone :)

Apparently grafting areoles from a crest is a good way to find out what the plant would look like if growing normally, you will get a regular column plant rather than a crest.

thats strange and very interesting

gonna have to do some reading up on the subject

I have grafted a few areoles from a crested plant. Some grow normally whilst others will grow normal for a short period and then crest.

Hi Myco,

good work there, I'm doing some soon also.

Any reason why you have removed all the leaves ?, I watched a vid on grafting, he left a few leaves on the plant.

Dont the peres use their leaves for photosynthesis ?

Cheers,

Swiper.

unfortunately this particular graft didnt actually make it

im not sure wat went wrong it survived for a long time

looked very healthy then it just suddenly started to shrivell up over the course of about 2 weeks i tried to save it

and after 2 weeks it basically just dropped off this was only a few weeks bak to so i really dont know what went wrong as it looked perfectly healthy before that it was as if the peres just suddenly decided to reject it fuckknows im no expert so yeh

i have heaps of grafted seedlings with no leaves at all and theyre perfectly healthy

as far as im aware leaves arent necessary for survival

the main reason any of my peres grafts dont have leaves is just because theyre very small pieces of peres

if theres room on there for leaves then i dont remove them

again im no expert this is my first year of grafting i've got loads of seedling grafts that are all coming along nicely

i grafted another larger crest cutting a couple of days ago

i grafted one of my matacuna's to a trich about 4 days ago to

i did another 20 loph seedlings yesterday hahaha :)

i think i need help im going graft crazy

i want to graft everything i look at thinking about grafting a piece of lophocereus right now :drool2:

myco find my thread i started about my attempts at aerole graftin all i did were successful and have since done a few more including an ariocarpus turbicle,keep up the good work bro!

hey mate....nice work.... why do you take the leaves off out of interest?....

I have two grafts both from the same time, both L william, and the one that has 7 leaves still on it is 2x bigger than the one that only has 3 , so it seams the number of leaves on the pereskopsis stock might be directly proportionate to the amount of growth pushed to the scion also>?

this may also be what leads to pereskopsis's notoriety of warping or disfiguring (EDIT: button or mexican-taproot or slow growers) scions, and maybe those with no leaves slow down the scions growth just enough that it grows normal?

Thoughts people?

Edited by 2Deep2Handle

hey mate....nice work.... why do you take the leaves off out of interest?....

I have two grafts both from the same time, both L william, and the one that has 7 leaves still on it is 2x bigger than the one that only has 3 , so it seams the number of leaves on the pereskopsis stock might be directly proportionate to the amount of growth pushed to the scion also>?

this may also be what leads to pereskopsis's notoriety of warping or disfiguring (EDIT: button or mexican-taproot or slow growers) scions, and maybe those with no leaves slow down the scions growth just enough that it grows normal?

Thoughts people?

i always leave the leaves on the peres, and think, this way i get more grow on the scion.

but sometimes very rarly though, if the scion isn't growing much at all, i take most of the leaves off, and this sometimes helps.

i just answered that question right before your post 2deep :)

its only because its a very small piece of peres i dont think there was even any leaves on it to begin with