The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
rkundalini

Kaempferia galangal

Hello. Thanks to theobromus' taxonomically-enabled eyeballs I have some rhizome of this (rather than Alpinia galangal which is commonly confused with it). They are presently in some dirt waiting to sprout. Once they are back on their feet (they were fairly dry looking) I will dig some up and post them to whoever here is most likely not to kill them wink.gif (for if they stay with me permanently I don't like their chances heh heh). Takers? I probably only have enough material for 3 people.

Guest Ramon

Hi there rk

I don't know much about this plant but have a acre of land which needs to be planted out so I am more then happy to look after some.

i have also been interested in these 2 forsome time.havetried the other with pleasant results but am interested in the real(?) thing.have heard it refered to as "obscured by clouds" with reference to FSOL track papua new guinea .am quite confident in the gardening world aftermany years experience.hoping to hear from u , t st. .

I will most definitely be interested rK. I have been especially keen to get the Kaempferia ever since I tried to chew and suck a big hunk of Alpinia rhizome one night in bed and fell asleep with it in my mouth. The next day I couldn't feel anything in my mouth except for what felt like blisters all over the place. I couldn't taste anything for a couple of days. As for psychedelic effects... I concluded I had the wrong Galangal (didn't know an Alpinia from a Kaempferia at the time).

BTW, Have you got Kava? I found an ad in the classifieds in Grassroots magazine from someone selling Kava plants here in Cairns. You have to write to them by snail mail to find out more though. I'll do it soon and maybe get a few to trade if anyone's interested.

thanks,

Fractal

Move a thousand miles south where the rooms are warmer?

Should be no problem as long as it is moist and warm. The shoots are only about a cm long so far.

If yours do not take off I will send some out in spring.