The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Marcel

EGA 2011

From Reality Sandwich:

Two Psychedelic Conferences a World Apart

by Neşe Lisa Şenol

ega1.jpg

Over the course of two consecutive weekends, I flew between Entheogenesis Australis (EGA), Australia's premier gathering of psychedelic pioneers, and Cartographie Psychedelica, a California-based conference celebrating the 25th anniversary of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS). These are some of my observations.

My plane landed at the airport in Melbourne, Australia on Thursday, December 1, after a 26-hour journey that began after I finished teaching my undergraduate class "Poetic Vision and the Psychedelic Experience" the previous Tuesday. I was somewhat jet lagged but, more importantly, I was extraordinarily excited: this was my first trip to Australia, and I was coming to present at the conference, thanks to generous grants from both EGA and my school, the University of Pennsylvania.

Thursday night I stayed with Martin Williams and Kate Lee in their Melbourne home. After casually asking Martin how many EGA's he'd been to, I learned that he'd been with the organization from the very start, when a small Victoria-based interest group decided to chart a more conscious and intentional direction, leading to the incorporation of Entheogenesis Australis as a non-profit association in 2008. This would be its eighth conference...

Read the rest here...

• Like 3

looks great i hope to make it to one of the EGA conferences some day :)

thanks. although i can understand the MAPS conference needing an air of professionalism about it. they want/need to be taken seriously by the establishment, that requires certain distancing from what is perceived by many to be simply a culture of wanton drug use.

studying philosophy for the last 3 yrs and hearing her talk on that first night, i swear to god made me fall love with Neşe Lisa Şenol

dreamy :wub:

studying philosophy for the last 3 yrs and hearing her talk on that first night, i swear to god made me fall love with Neşe Lisa Şenol

dreamy :wub:

Ha ha ha! I can't wait to hear her response to that!

Fantastic that EGA we got this king of coverage, Neşe is real nice, word is she love Australia and is trying to get back here for a year or so in the future.

Ronny if you have contact with her your should encourage submission of something to Meanjin or Overlander, someone with her interest and skills could only do good things for the cause

also if you could pass on that i like long walks and picnics in nature, and can do several rudimentary magic tricks :lol: etc etc

Edited by bulls on parade

Bulls, she's a member on these here forums and she's coming your way soon!