The Corroboree
Sallubrious

Opuntia ficus indica

Looking for seeds or cuts that I can propagate.

Preferably from Australia

I believe that sp is everywhere around my area, one in particular is absolutely covered in fruit (100+), it's just on the side of the road thinking of grabbing a few samples :)

Ive seen a few different optunia around the place, some are freaking monsters!!

Yeah, prickly pear are everywhere in SA.

• Like 1

I believe that sp is everywhere around my area, one in particular is absolutely covered in fruit (100+), it's just on the side of the road thinking of grabbing a few samples :)

Ive seen a few different optunia around the place, some are freaking monsters!!

watch out for the tiny spines all over the fruit.

put a glove on or something otherwise you will be picking them out of your fingers for weeks

! Thanks heaps for the heads up, started getting flashbacks to when I got my first Peres and just grabbed the whole thing out the bag with no gloves hahaha took ages getting them out.

How do you tell the fruit is ready for picking? Might go utse :)

umm I think when they are softish and red also if they come of the plant easily... I think but Im no expert lol :)

Yeah beware of the glochids you'll know it if you get some of them in your skin.

I'm interested in this species to try and start my own tibicos and for some of the medicinal properties.

I've got an Opuntia already but I've never seen it flower to get a positive ID.

• Like 1

! Thanks heaps for the heads up, started getting flashbacks to when I got my first Peres and just grabbed the whole thing out the bag with no gloves hahaha took ages getting them out.

How do you tell the fruit is ready for picking? Might go utse :)

lmao Jonstn....this is exactly how i discovered the joys of pereskopsis too! lol

All excited at my package..pop the lid of the tube with a big smile on my face....crank my hand in there and grab the long twiggy looking cacti,.,,,,and WHAM...next minute i got glochids all through my hand.

• Like 1

I have three types, one is spineless and has large thick pads(used for fruit, can eat the peeled pads-some very good health properties). One with large spines and thiner pads(fruit is ok but the pads are a lot of work for little return). The third is from a plant i found on a farm whilst working there and said to be over 40 years old( fruit is smaller but still worth the effort- it is covered in long, medium and short spines everywhere- an extra prickly pear, due to this i have not even bothered trying the pads. Can source pads for anyone else interested in this very under rated cactus. Have some cooking tips also. Cooked(pan fried with onion and garlic and garden herbs) and kept in fridge covered with a good quality oil and then mixed with salads or used as a side dish-quite nice. Note the warnings about the glochids if you handle them in the house without removing them first, they get every where----like onto a bar stool at my kitchen bench which my wife then sat on (with limited clothing) and i spent the next few hours picking them out from her bum while trying to explain the virtues of prickly pear. Not the best way to endear your cactus collection to your other half.

don't want to hijack the thread but...

What kind of flavour do the pads have I would assume they would be bitter but is there a specific kind of taste they have?

Closest thing i can think of is okra. You have to peel the green layer off-this may have other uses and am looking into that. No bitter taste but looks strange while your cooking it.